Oil pressure check?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:19 PM
fig
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure check?

Hi

I started my 1996 bird (LT-1) today and low oil light stayed on. I didn't drive it. Where can I check the oil pressure at mechanically? Is there somewhere to hook a actual gauge to? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The low oil and pressure are two different things. Have you checked the level with the dipstick? What does the pressure gauge say? Might just be a problem with the low oil sensor, connection or wiring.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM
fig
Teching In

Yeh plenty of oil. I want to put a gauge on it so I was wondering where I can do that.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fig
Yeh plenty of oil. I want to put a gauge on it so I was wondering where I can do that.
Ok, I can tell you where you can go, but you didn't answer the question about oil pressure on the existing gauge. What does it indicate or does it not work? Whether you check the pressure or not is not going to do anything for your low oil light. It is a completely separate indicator.

http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg
Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 AM
fig
Teching In

Ok thanks. I'm not too concerned about the light right now just want to make sure ive got oil pressure as I have to move the car and want to make sure I have oil pressure first. I'll have to trouble shoot later after I get the car home. I'll make up a line today at work and get it on there, then get the car home and start checking things. If it has pressure that is.

I'll give some quick history. I put the car in storage last fall. A few months before that I put some Lucas oil additive in it because it had a tick and I was hoping this would help but it made it worse and it might have caused the issue i'm having now. I don't want to leave the car in storage this winter because, although I checked it every month, the mice go into it just this last month and a mold issue is going on in the interior. It was a bad choice for storage. I'm just going to leave it out in my driveway this winter so I'll have easier access to it and can monitor things better. I'll be using some poison this time too. I couldn't use that where I had it because the owner asked me not to. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

So you do not have oil pressure on the stock gauge? If you had mice then they could have chewed through some wires under the dash.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess your stock gauge must not be working, but I don't know why you refuse to directly answer the question about it. So frustrating.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's called "rectal- cranial" inversion...
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
fig
Teching In

Sorry, I'm not refusing to answer the question. I just thought that since I want to put a gauge on to read the pressure that it was clear my gauge isn't reading pressure. So to get us all on the same page....my gauge shows no pressure and the low oil light is on but there is plenty of oil in the pan or so the dip stick shows. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

If you had only said that in the beginning... We can't read people's minds or know if you are just confused about low oil or low pressure.

Now that more is known, more suggestions can be given. You can test the gauge just by unplugging the connector from the stock sensor. Your gauge should peg to high with key ON. You can also check your sensor with a DVM to get ohm readings that correspond to pressure (~90 ohms=high pressure, ~10 ohms=low pressure). That way you can see if it is actually reading pressure.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure check?