LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

WOT on new 383 - fell flat on its face at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default WOT on new 383 - fell flat on its face at high RPM

As the title states, I finally planted the right foot and kept it there for the first true WOT pull to redline from a dead stop. (I wanted to wait a bit for everything to break in a bit..)

Anyway, it pulled like a train - even with the 2.93 out back, right up until it hit the upper end of the RPM range and right before I thought it would shift. The engine just cut out as if it lost fuel or spark. Just stopped - for about half a second. I let off the gas and it picked right up like nothing had happened. No warning lights, no odd sounds, nada.

I hooked it up to the PC as soon as I got home and everything is 5x5. No codes.

At this point, I am thinking I sucked the fuel pump dry. Its the OEM pump running 30# injectors. That being said, I hooked the gauge up to it and drove it around a bit and the pressures seemed normal. I did NOT do another WOT pull with the gauge taped to the windshield - not enough road near my place to do it.

Otherwise, anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by atlantadan; 11-28-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the limiter/fule cut set to in the tune? Are you running an MSD box with a soft touch limiter. It sounds like you are hitting the limiter.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you change the rev limiter in the PCM?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nostang
What is the limiter/fule cut set to in the tune? Are you running an MSD box with a soft touch limiter. It sounds like you are hitting the limiter.
Not running an MSD box
Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Did you change the rev limiter in the PCM?
Car was tuned by Moe Bailey - these are questions I don't have the answers to. I will reach out to him.
Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Valve float, fuel cutoff or opti are my guesses. What RPM did it cut out? I had an opti that would start acting up consistently at 6700rpm.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you really need to see WTF the FP is at SUSTAINED WOT...so find enough road to do that

My stock FP was fine until "sustained" WOT after a H/C/injector swap (and tune). 255 Walbro solved my issue...so check your FP under the circumstances you experience the problem.

Valve float will make the car feel like it just flat lines but you have a "new 383" so assume valve springs are good

Opti would be next check after FP...assuming your tune is not cutting off fuel at that RPM
Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my recent rebuild. Turns out I had accidentally put the wrong shift tables in the tune and I was hitting the rev limiter. I fixed the tables and now it shifts before it hits the limiter. Does your tune match your gears?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dealing with a similar issue, did you ever figure out the cause of your problem?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantadan
Not running an MSD box

Car was tuned by Moe Bailey - these are questions I don't have the answers to. I will reach out to him.
Thanks
Does it like hit the rev limiter? or does the power start to act like your taking your foot of the gas? let me know. as said maybe its valve springs but we need to diagnose the problem specific, Let me know so we can get this fixed.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Moe - you and I emailed a bit about it and its not had a repeat performance since. It acted like it hit the rev-limiter, really. It just simply shut off for a sec, then popped back on like nothing happened - but once I got my foot out of it. I actually thought I may have overrun the fuel pump capacity or something in the ignition flaked out.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, If you need anything, just let me know, Thanks

Quick Reply: WOT on new 383 - fell flat on its face at high RPM