LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High load/low rpm ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default High load/low rpm ticking

Noticed at the beginning of the month. Recently did a cam and spring swap in February. It was barely noticeable at first, thought it was just going to be noisier with the new springs. It gradually got louder though. Thought it might be an exhaust leak since I had the y-pipe off and I've had the nuts back out on me plenty of times. Y-pipe was nice and tight though (also checked headers while I was down there). Originally had the rockers at 1/4 turn past zero (comp ultra pro magnum 1.6 with 7/16 studs) so I tightened them to 1/2. That actually quieted it down for about 30 minutes then the ticking gradually came back again.

Ticking seems to happen under load up to somewhere between 2000-2500 rpm. I put nearly 3000 miles on the car this month so at freeway speeds going up hills it was super easy to hear. Loud enough that I really want it gone. Car runs and drives great, passed plenty of big rigs pulling up to 6000 rpm with no problems.

This seems like another exhaust leak but the ticking is totally gone at 2500 rpm and up. I suppose it's possible I just can't hear it over the exhaust. I was wondering if I should tighten the rockers another 1/4 turn to see what happens. This cam does have more lift and faster ramp speed, somewhere around .560 vs the .540 of my old CC503. Would that make a difference? New springs are also stiffer, they're the Lunati 73925K5 double springs.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What lifters do you have now?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If you step on the gas at low RPM where the engine is under load and you then start hearing a tick get louder then there is a very high probability it's an exhaust leak.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue on my car. Mine is a header gasket leak. Just have to live with it i guess, all my header bolts are tight, time for new gaskets. I've heard copper gaskets are the way to go.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
What lifters do you have now?
All my build sheet says is comp cams hydraulic roller, no part number or anything.

I'll check the exhaust again today.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
All my build sheet says is comp cams hydraulic roller, no part number or anything.

I'll check the exhaust again today.
I bet you have the old COMP disaster lifters. Me personally would replace them.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Village Troll

I bet you have the old COMP disaster lifters.
Which ones are those?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Which ones are those?
The comp R had issues
Quite possibly they had some left of the bad run. I believe it was 2004 not sure
Old 05-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Village Troll

Ah. You mean the ones that had a thinner retainer ring for the plunger? So a poorly put together valvetrain couldn't depend on the more rugged retainer ring that would withstand the hammering it received when valve float would happen? Yeah those.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I suppose those were them, I thought you would recall the situation.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Village Troll

I have some in perfect working order for sale if you'd like.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Checked the exhaust from headers to tail pipe and everything is tight. Didn't see any black marks around the heads, EGR plates are still sealed, O2's, y-pipe, header bolts, catalytic are all tight.

If you step on the gas at low RPM where the engine is under load and you then start hearing a tick get louder then there is a very high probability it's an exhaust leak.
It's loud off the bat then quiets down as the rpm's get higher. I thought it was gone by 2500 but I tried to recreate the noise yesterday and turns out I can hear it up to about 3500.

Is ticking only when under load impossible for valve train noise? Like would the valve train make the same noise even at idle or when not under load? If that's the case then all I can think to do next is go to an exhaust shop and have them fill my exhaust with smoke.

The comp R had issues
Quite possibly they had some left of the bad run. I believe it was 2004 not sure
I bought this engine in '09. When I had the lifters out for the cam swap they looked pristine. Another question: after I tightened the rockers 1/2 turn I tried wiggling them out of curiosity. A few had a minuscule amount of play side to side. Like the width of a hair it was so little movement. Should they be rock solid with no movement at all?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if you do have Comp 875 lifters those are their "R" series (racing)...only 1/8 turn to lash those, no more.

Comp 850 lifters are normal lifters where 1/2-1 1/2 preload is fine.

Sooo if you have lashed the 875's past 1/8 turn and driven for awhile....you will wipe a cam lobe...which initially sounds like a "tick" sound and progresses to "knock"

With all that said I chased a tick sound for some time, re-lash valve, checked for any exhaust leaks and found none......until I discovered a pin hole in one of my header primary's...quick spot weld resolved

for the Comp Ultra Pro Mags if you have stock VC you need to trim the webbing in them. Assume you did or "bent" them away. Not knowing what you did just confirm one RR is not hitting any VC webbing inside. Use a stethoscope over each RR on VC to see if one sounds "different"....
Old 05-31-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
if you do have Comp 875 lifters those are their "R" series (racing)...only 1/8 turn to lash those, no more.

Comp 850 lifters are normal lifters where 1/2-1 1/2 preload is fine.

Sooo if you have lashed the 875's past 1/8 turn and driven for awhile....you will wipe a cam lobe...which initially sounds like a "tick" sound and progresses to "knock"

With all that said I chased a tick sound for some time, re-lash valve, checked for any exhaust leaks and found none......until I discovered a pin hole in one of my header primary's...quick spot weld resolved

for the Comp Ultra Pro Mags if you have stock VC you need to trim the webbing in them. Assume you did or "bent" them away. Not knowing what you did just confirm one RR is not hitting any VC webbing inside. Use a stethoscope over each RR on VC to see if one sounds "different"....
I sent an email to Golen asking what lifters I have. If I tightened the rocker nut too much would the ticking start so soon after doing the cam swap?

My valve covers have been cut to accommodate the rockers so I think I'm good there.

I'll post a video of the car idling with a few revs. The video makes the ticking sound much louder than it is believe it or not. When I rev the engine, that's probably the most accurate sound in the vid.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe it but I just got a reply from Golen. Say what you will about his engines but the guy has given me some of the best customer service I've ever had anywhere. He said the lifters are OE Comp Cams hydraulic roller lifters and at his shop they adjust them 3/4 to 1 full turn past zero lash. He recommended I adjust them 1 full turn past zero and run the car for a few hours. I'll give it a try!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The video sounds more like the lifters need adjustment. You have Comp 850 lifters which are OE replacement lifters. Same ones I use.

I also have a Golen 383 short block. Chad has offered very good customer service to me. Motor has around 25k mi on it now, no issues
Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh dear......thats not the beautiful roller rocker sewing machine sound we all love. Thats a horrible racket. Re-adjust the lash to 3/4 to 1 turn past zero lash and be absolutely sure the lifter is on the base of the cam lobe when adjusting. I wouldn't even start the car with that nasty tapping going on.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
It's loud off the bat then quiets down as the rpm's get higher.
Rocker noise doesn't usually dissipate with higher RPM. Hoping it isn't more serious than just readjusting rockers...
Old 06-02-2017, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
Oh dear......thats not the beautiful roller rocker sewing machine sound we all love. Thats a horrible racket. Re-adjust the lash to 3/4 to 1 turn past zero lash and be absolutely sure the lifter is on the base of the cam lobe when adjusting. I wouldn't even start the car with that nasty tapping going on.
It sounds worse in the video than in real life. I was surprised at how bad it sounded. It's like the phones mic zeros in on the tapping frequencies or something. But I drove it about 4,000 miles in this condition so whatever was going to happen has already happened I'm sure.

Rocker noise doesn't usually dissipate with higher RPM. Hoping it isn't more serious than just readjusting rockers...
Well I adjusted them to 1 turn past zero lash (using method 1 on shoebox's site for all of this) and the ticking is still present. It does sound like the driver's side is quieter and the issue may be on the passenger side. I'll have an exhaust shop check for leaks next week.

After adjusting and taking it for a drive today, the car developed a NEW noise. This time it's a knock, not just a tick. Definitely on the passenger side. So now not only do I have the same ticking as before, I also have a knock.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Village Troll

i dunno man. to me it sounds more serious than valvetrain.

Quick Reply: High load/low rpm ticking