LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best cc503 cam set up on LT1 from 92-96 vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best cc503 cam set up on LT1 from 92-96 vette

hi im gonna be getting a C4 with the LT1 in it and im gonna plan on running the cc503 cam in it and im gonna plan on porting my heads so i was wondering what are the best supporting mods to buy with this set up. leave me links if possible thanks.

Joe
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

I will also be on a budget thats about 1500 to 2 grand.... i will be doing the work with a buddy..
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longtube headers
If automatic a 3200-3600 stall is very useful
Time-consuming cannot stress this enough!!!!
Plugs tr55 ngk do the trick
Taylor wires, MSD wires
1.6 rockers, 7/16 studs, flat guide plates, hardened pushrods
NEW valvesprings rated for your cam choice
NEW timing chain by now the original is stretched out
Have injectors tested possibly replace
Fuel pump walbro 340 racetronix and the hotwire kit.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done or helped with numerous projects like this on LT1 cars, both F and Y body. You're stretching it with that budget, things could get a bit tight.

You'll need a good set of headers and full exhaust and free flowing induction system. If you get lucky and find these pieces used somewhere, you could probably get this stuff for $400-$800 used.

Springs, guideplates and hardened pushrods, a good set of 1.6 RRs, a new timing chain and if the car is high mileage a set of replacement LS7 lifters would round out the engine stuff. Make sure a reputable shop that knows LT1s is doing the head porting. Allocate a couple hundred extra dollars for fluids, gaskets, shop supplies and incidentals.

It's a good idea to do plugs and wires, I like the Taylor wires and NGK TR55 plugs.

If the stock fuel pump is in good working order it's fine.

If it's an auto a set of 3.73 rear gears, shift kit in the 4L60E and a quality ~3500 stall converter would be necessary to get the most out of such a setup, that's $1500 installed by itself. And you'll quite possibly have to do a transmission build at some point if the transmission isn't in great shape to begin with.

Don't forget a good dyno tune, that usually runs $400 or so.

Simply stated, it's easy to spend $2000-$2500 in parts alone to go from a stock car to a well set up cammed/stalled/bolt-on car that can run in the low 12s. And that's if you don't touch the heads.
If the car is a 6 speed you will get out significantly cheaper as the converter ($500-$900) and rear gears (~$600 installed) won't be necessary.

Last edited by HellTeeOne; 08-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
I've done or helped with numerous projects like this on LT1 cars, both F and Y body. You're stretching it with that budget, things could get a bit tight.

You'll need a good set of headers and full exhaust and free flowing induction system. If you get lucky and find these pieces used somewhere, you could probably get this stuff for $400-$800 used.

Springs, guideplates and hardened pushrods, a good set of 1.6 RRs, a new timing chain and if the car is high mileage a set of replacement LS7 lifters would round out the engine stuff. Make sure a reputable shop that knows LT1s is doing the head porting. Allocate a couple hundred extra dollars for fluids, gaskets, shop supplies and incidentals.

It's a good idea to do plugs and wires, I like the Taylor wires and NGK TR55 plugs.

If the stock fuel pump is in good working order it's fine.

If it's an auto a set of 3.73 rear gears, shift kit in the 4L60E and a quality ~3500 stall converter would be necessary to get the most out of such a setup, that's $1500 installed by itself. And you'll quite possibly have to do a transmission build at some point if the transmission isn't in great shape to begin with.

Don't forget a good dyno tune, that usually runs $400 or so.

Simply stated, it's easy to spend $2000-$2500 in parts alone to go from a stock car to a well set up cammed/stalled/bolt-on car that can run in the low 12s. And that's if you don't touch the heads.
If the car is a 6 speed you will get out significantly cheaper as the converter ($500-$900) and rear gears (~$600 installed) won't be necessary.
Ditto all the above. That pretty much covers it. Have a look at attached file. It's a running cost of all the things I did "while I was in there". Looks like I forgot the new opti too.

All the labor was me(and my Dad on a couple of issues).

There are several things in this list that you may not need, but the point is it can add up quick. Especially if you run into bad parts. Some of my trouble was not buying the headers I wanted from the start. That cost me $600 right there on a catted Y-pipe that is collecting dust to this day.
Attached Files
File Type: xls

Last edited by ACE1252; 08-02-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Soucy
I will also be on a budget thats about 1500 to 2 grand.... i will be doing the work with a buddy..
some math:

Comp 50s cam $278
RR-Comp $330
Springs-Lunati $235
Guide Plates-Isky $72
ARP 7/16" RR studs $50
Head gaskets $50
Valve Stem seals $20
Intake Gasket $40
TC gaskets/seals $12
Misc RTV, oil/filter $40

The above parts alone are $1478

Mail order tune $200-$350

Head porting/valve job ???? depends who does it but if having someone like Lloyd Elliott (considered the best) than that is the bulk of your budget alone

Injectors??maybe the stock 24 # will hold up...maybe not

Now with all this new engine power things that "support it"

cold air intake
larger TB
Headers
CAT back exhaust
Higher Stall TC if auto
Lower gears (3:73=auto; 4:10=T56)

Soooo your $2k is on the light side for $$
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

most of the vettes im looing at already have exhuast, headers, CAI ... i will also try and find a manual .. so take out the gears and the stall... my budget is considered more towards the actual performance parts themselves like the cam,springs,rockers.. that sorta thing.. I just wanna know whats the best set up.. thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

cost me over 2k for what I did not including oil and gaskets, all work done myself. Car can be seen here

LE1 heads - 900
LE cam - 300
Lunati rockers - 290
lunati lifters - 195
Pacesetter headers 310
injectors - 210 Bosch III
pushrods - ? 133
Another Waterpump - 80
Tune by Solomon LT1pcmtuning - 175

Upgrade Total - 2513
Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I to was in the same predicament last October. I tried to do it cheap and it came back to bite me in the ***. Do NOT skimp on valve springs, I did and ended up shredding a set of valve seals and springs. Apparently the pick up had fallen off and the pump sucked up a piece of broken valve spring and seized it up causing no oil pressure and a **** ton of metal from the pump in the bottom of the pan. Here is the rest of my build.

Motor
Lunati Voodoo 219/227 .545 .560 112 LSA cam.
LS7 Lifters
Lunati .600" lift springs with titanium keepers and hardened chromoly seats.
TFS chomoly rods
CC guide plates
1.6 wide body roller rockers
ARP 7/16 rocker studs
Cloyes HD timing set
Also did a new opti, opti harness, icm, coil, plugs, and wires.
Got a mail order tune from Moe @ Moehorsepower who I HIGHLY recommend over any other mail order company. Its spot on for a mail order.

Trans
Stock 4L60e with a TransGo HD2 performance shift kit, a 3200 stall converter, and 9 qts of Dexron Trans fluid.

I don't have a gear yet but the car is already absolutely rediculous in bottom end torque. I'm only revving it til about 6100. Next on the list is upgrading from my garbage pacesetter mids to some longtubes, 3.73 gears, some fuel system upgrades, and a little bit of spray. Shooting for mid 11's with a full weight car other than the spare tire, jack, and back seat delete.

Take your time, pay attention to detail, and the car will bring a smile to your face everytime you drive it! Here are some vids of my car.

Quick Reply: Best cc503 cam set up on LT1 from 92-96 vette