LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speedi sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedi sleeve

Do they make a speedi sleeve for the optispark 2?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Why would there need to be one? It uses o-rings to snug it in place.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Launching!

In all these years I've always wondered if Shoebox was the inventor of the Optispark and he's now dedicated the his life to helping LT1 owners to atone for his sins.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

The opti, itself, is not evil. It is the sub-standard, poor quality replacements that are. Nowadays, people have aftermarket options to get rid of it, if they want.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see so many threads about bad optis but I have never had one give me an ounce of trouble. I did replace it proactively about 10 years ago with an AC/Delco one and it has been perfect.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro_freak
I see so many threads about bad optis but I have never had one give me an ounce of trouble. I did replace it proactively about 10 years ago with an AC/Delco one and it has been perfect.
Well for one thing I will say that the MSD 6AL's help speed up their failure. They don't like those those spark boxes at all but most of us have or had them. I think it was the biggest piece of crap and the worse decision they could ever have came up with for that motor and I say that because at the same time GM's v6 engines were using a coil pack ignition system. They couldn't figure out how to throw on an extra coil pack and engineer it to run with a V8? but who are we kidding. GM was already focusing on working on the LS Series and the LT1 was just a way for them drop a next gen engine for cheap using a mish mash of old and new tech. It takes years for them to get patents cleared , tests, tool and machine an engine and it's parts. The 93-97 LT1 is what it is... a place holder warm up act for the LS1. If I had to place a bet I would bet that the Optispark was an idea they threw out but decided to go with because they wanted to save the introduction of the coil pack V8 ignition system as a feature for the LS1. So we ended up with the hack idea of a distributor behind a water pump that uses Japanese parts. Nothing about the Optispark is an advantage except maybe to GM for saving money on not having to engineer the LT1's PCM or wiring harness to run coil packs.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 09-24-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Despite it's maintenance reputation, it was the most accurate form of SBC distributor GM ever made. Like camaro freak above, I never had a problem with mine (even with running an MSD 6A box) and even after soaking it repeatedly on a 2000 mile trip with a leaking water pump.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
Well for one thing I will say that the MSD 6AL's help speed up their failure. They don't like those those spark boxes at all but most of us have or had them. .
have had a msd box on for 18 years, no issues with the opti as a result....YMMV

not saying a box is better, just I have found no negative issue using one
Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Distributor Tech

Hi ALL, some bad history (not all) ABOVE !!!

OK, now the truth : The company Dayton Engineering Laboratories CO.
(inventor) created the Distributor to lite Gas Lamps in factories.
GM would NOT use the 60-2 (58x) in their engines UNTIL the patent expired in 2006.
The 360 count absolute encoder (opti spark) is NOT as accurate as MY 48-2 "gear down" TW FITTED inside MY SBC distributor housing for MANY YEARS (before opti)
I invented (a team member) the Buick DIS ignition and coils in the 1980's.
I invented the Hi-REIC ALSO in the early 1980's to compliment the HC-11 fuel chip used in their PCM. (they chose NOT to buy this chip)
GM DID NOT Manufacture the OPTI.

Lance
Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Reason why I was asking is in my other post on this site I'm having an oil leak problem from the opti seal. It's not the water pump seal because I have ran dye in the oil and have pics in the other thread where is shows it's not leaking. I put a reman gm opti 1.5 weeks ago with a new seal and it's still leaking out the opti seal. Was wondering about a speedi sleeve to put over the opti to see if it will seal better cause I'm out of options. Btw the motor is rebuilt and the first fire was 3 weeks ago and been leaking oil out this seal since the fire up
Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myslo50
Reason why I was asking is in my other post on this site I'm having an oil leak problem from the opti seal. It's not the water pump seal because I have ran dye in the oil and have pics in the other thread where is shows it's not leaking. I put a reman gm opti 1.5 weeks ago with a new seal and it's still leaking out the opti seal. Was wondering about a speedi sleeve to put over the opti to see if it will seal better cause I'm out of options. Btw the motor is rebuilt and the first fire was 3 weeks ago and been leaking oil out this seal since the fire up
If I was having that issue I would just try a thicker O-ring or an opti O ring from a different manufacturer. Grab a universal O ring kit and see what fits.

OEM #

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10474278

As for the above:

Some guys will swear they're great but yet it's still the most complained about and most replaced component on the engine. 9/10 times when something goes wrong with the LT1 it's at the fault of the Opti and it's usually the first culprit.

It's an electronic component and a critical one because it can brick your motor and leave you stranded (been there done that) but it's in the worst possible location behind the radiator and underneath a hot *** waterpump with a weep hole just waiting to get it wet. Even if you do a coolant change or swap a T stat you risks getting it wet. If it rains and there's moisture in the air it even acts up and the only way to check it is to tear the front end of the engine off and go through all that work just to get to it and see if it's alright and if you're one of the lucky few with the tools to open it up and look inside you'll see just how much these things can wear down. You think it's running okay until you look inside and see how worn it is (been there done that too).

GM should of gotten a class action lawsuit over the optisparks just like they got sued over the faulty intake gaskets. They can't not know that the Optispark is a design flaw but of course they did because they ditched it and never looked back. As many people as they say they've ran an opti forever and it works like a charm I'd find it hard to believe. Especially if you're running a modded car. 0- 5800rpms your safe you start getting into 6100- 7000 and these things turn to crap real quick they don't tolerate high RPMS well. As for using an Ignition Box try running one without it for 15K and opening it up and then try running one with it and opening it up after 15K miles and see how much more worn out it will be. They aren't built for boxes.

There's not a single thing about the optispark that makes it ideal for anything. It's a terrible ignition system and by far the worst ignition system ever put on a V8. At least with a standard distributor it's on top of the engine and away from heat soak and coolant. I've fought for the LT1's pride for years but even I draw the line at the optispark. Nothing ruins a perfectly good engine like an optispark failure as soon as it goes it's the sound of $500 dollars and a weekend of your life gone to replace it.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
If I was having that issue I would just try a thicker O-ring or an opti O ring from a different manufacturer. Grab a universal O ring kit and see what fits.

OEM #

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10474278

it isn't a "O" ring that is the opti seal...its a seal. The one the OP is using is National brand made in USA that comes in the FelPro kit
Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
The opti, itself, is not evil. It is the sub-standard, poor quality replacements that are. Nowadays, people have aftermarket options to get rid of it, if they want.
Truth. Much like the Comp R debacle. I still have my factory stock opti as a spare.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Spark Accuracy of an Opti vs Distributor

Hi All, I too agree but for a different reason :

The Opti, at the best, (new) has a LOWER Spark Accuracy than the Distributor.

The Opti has a tooth count of 1/2 (One Half) for each crankshaft degree count of ONE.
The distributor's coil is driven as it has a spark instant when the pole passes the sensor/point set. (3-4 degrees with chain flex)
The Opti has the same chain flex AND the PCM layer of resolution ADDED (2 degrees)
Thus the OPTI method, at best is closer to a five to six degree of Spark Accuracy WITH Timing Lag added into the loop.

The Opti works better for the Fuel Injection Instant not the Spark Instant when compared to a Distributor.

Lance
Old 09-26-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Hm,, interesting, I always heard the optic was a tic more accurate because of not having the distributor drive gear and shaft play in the mix.. Never explored it but interesting to know..

Quick Reply: Speedi sleeve