LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4L60E to T/56...little wiring help please and re-flash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E to T/56...little wiring help please and re-flash?

So I have been searching the site for a long time, and just can't find what I need...I keep seeing reference to "re-wire/Re-pin the harness for the T/56 swap. But I'm not finding any details or a diagram, can someone point me in the right direction please?

My daughter bought the car to use to engine and tranny in my old '89 IROC, but the car's a bit to nice to take apart, it's a '97 Z/28...needs some love, but what the heck...I'd rather we just getting it right in the '97...when I ran the RPO codes, I see the car was originally a 4L60E...could be why there's harness's hanging under it

So anyways, I want to use the harness I have in it, re-wire/re-pin it, and then do whatever the PCM needs to be redone.

Little guidance please?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Teching In

I might add, who does the re-flash of the PCM?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Teching In

I'll check if I have any references from back in the day. I did a full swap of auto to T56 on my 96 Z28. there was only one wire that needed to be hooked up to the ECU and that was for the lockout solenoid, the ECU itself I think I took from the doner car that had the T56 on it. Although, I might be mistaken. I'll see if I can get back to you on this soon.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On 96 and 97 cars, there's no PCM wiring that needs to be re-pinned, it already exists in the A4 harness. VSS is the same between both transmissions, mine was able to reach with no extension.

For reverse lockout, use the pink wire (pin E on the big A4 connector) for 12v switched power. Then use the brown wire (pin U) for the other side. Splice your reverse lockout pigtail into both of those.

For CAGS, if you so choose, use the same pink wire for power, and the white wire (pin S) for the other side of the circuit.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Great info! I assume the large A4 connector is he one to the tranny?

I'll look into eliminating the CAG's later, as I recall many consider it a PIA.

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did nothing but swap the speed sensor over. I have no reverse lockout so it's quite annoying. I am 220lbs and seem to be the only person who can get my car into reverse with one hand. I had the car re-tuned by my tuner for manual and the car notices nothing. Runs like a dream.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggs
I assume the large A4 connector is he one to the tranny?
Yes, this connector. If you look closely inside the connector itself, you can see the pins are labeled.

CAGS can be completely disabled in the PCM, which I'd recommend. But the wiring is there for you. I also have info on all the interior wiring, since I've done it a couple times. Any competent tuner can flash an A4 PCM to an M6 one, I'd recommend Moe. Stay away from PCM For Less.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I'd recommend Moe. Stay away from PCM For Less.
Thanks,

I assume "Moe" is a screen name here?
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't need full tuning you could also pick up a 97 LT1 F-body M6 PCM from a wrecking yard. They sell for $50-100 all day here.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
I did nothing but swap the speed sensor over. I have no reverse lockout so it's quite annoying. I am 220lbs and seem to be the only person who can get my car into reverse with one hand. I had the car re-tuned by my tuner for manual and the car notices nothing. Runs like a dream.
The 96Z I had, did the same thing... Left out the lockout not connected, used to use my knee to put in reverse. When I went to sell the car, I ran the wire, then kicked myself in the *** a few times for not doing it sooner.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

easiest and cheapest way to retune pcm is to use your laptop and download eehack it works great. also good to use to tune pcm for rear gears. i recommend eehack for all lt1s...and best part is its free...but dont cheap out on the odb to usb cord u get, i did the first time and had a shitty connection, fried my pcm. wasnt the software, it was the user haha.

Quick Reply: 4L60E to T/56...little wiring help please and re-flash?