LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Block Filler and Engine Temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a lot of fun with my old 383", spanking LS1s (some with a baby bottle) at the Friday night test & tunes at Tulsa. Always had the hood up in the staging lanes so they would know what it was. Guys looked it over for "the bottle" a lot. LOL

A guy emailed me asking how to adapt LT1 heads to a conventional cooling GM Bow Tie or Dart block. I have pictures if anybody needs them.

The 5.0 Mustang guys didn't take it real well either. :-)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing put a smile on my face more than outrunning new motors with a LT1!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
Nothing put a smile on my face more than outrunning new motors with a LT1!
It's not big league or anything, but my best memory of doing so is when the "B1" LS1 heads/cam package came out from MTI and those who had them, at least in the TX area, were still slower than my LPE heads/cam setup back in the late 90's. There was a shop called Area 51 in the Dallas area (Ed may have heard of them) that maybe lasted a summer where the owner had a LS1 SS. He claimed it dynoed something like 370 to the wheels which is about what mine dynoed on Ed's dyno. On his dyno it mine was around 320ish. Owner told me I needed a new setup that mine was lacking. FF to that Friday night at the track during a TnT, he and I somehow got lined up and I ran a 12.7 to his low 13. He would not look or talk to me after that. Best feeling in the world.
I got out of the car like
The following users liked this post:
Godsmercy81 (07-25-2020)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:45 AM
9-Second Club

At the GM High Tech Performance Magazine "EFI Shootout" at Englishtown, NJ, Rick Abare's black '96 383" Trans Am, and my LT1, and my black '96 383" LT1 Trans Am were #2 & #3 in a field of LS1 cars. LOL Only one 418" LS1 from a shop near there was just a tick quicker than Rick. I broke the second gear band in my 4L60E, so while standing straight up in the air mine tried to shift to second, banged the rev limiter a couple of time, then fell to the ground in 3rd gear. Not enough ***** to stay on the back tires in 3rd gear. It had stayed up all the way through 2nd gear before here at home. Always came down in high gear. LMAO

I would be extremely embarased to be slower, same day same track, if I had an LS1, that was slower than an old LT1 with no second gear.

And, guys that live around tracks like that one think they are faster than they really are. That place was a mineshaft. And, one local guy there said "We should be doing this on a good track like Atco, not this slow place." I said "You think THIS is slow? Come to Div 4."
It's much faster, on both coasts, than here in the south west. If you have to go to Atco, or Pomona, to go fast, you ain't fast.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 10-26-2017 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Godsmercy81 (07-25-2020)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
At the GM High Tech Performance Magazine "EFI Shootout" at Englishtown, NJ, Rick Abare's black '96 383" Trans Am, and my LT1, and my black '96 383" LT1 Trans Am were #2 & #3 in a field of LS1 cars. LOL Only one 418" LS1 from a shop near there was just a tick quicker than Rick. I broke the second gear band in my 4L60E, so while standing straight up in the air mine tried to shift to second, banged the rev limiter a couple of time, then fell to the ground in 3rd gear. Not enough ***** to stay on the back tires in 3rd gear. It had stayed up all the way through 2nd gear before here at home. Always came down in high gear. LMAO

I would be extremely embarased to be slower, same day same track, if I had an LS1, that was slower than an old LT1 with no second gear.

And, guys that live around tracks like that one think they are faster than they really are. That place was a mineshaft. And, one local guy there said "We should be doing this on a good track like Atco, not this slow place." I said "You think THIS is slow? Come to Div 4."
It's much faster, on both coasts, than here in the south west. If you have to go to Atco, or Pomona, to go fast, you ain't fast.
My car wants to be like your car when it grows up lol..
Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright

When I hear about them hero passes at -DA I don't care. I want to see some guy earn the lead trophy when he crushes the index, not some one off at a mine shaft air track.

I had a mauve(pink) roll cage in my 68, I don't know what pissed people off more the pink or the LT1. If it doesn't make the car safer or faster then I don't care. I didn't have anything special in my 396, no solid lifters or dry sump, even had a sleeve in the back cylinder. I did put a vacuum pump on it to keep the methanol out of the oil and a 3 quart accumulator on the oil system.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

So much **** talk from the Maryland people who used to run at Cecil in November...
Old 10-27-2017, 04:53 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So much **** talk from the Maryland people who used to run at Cecil in November...
That is another track I forgot about. Used to be a lot of records set there too.
The NHRA World Finals were a bit humerous, to some of us, in the late 1960s & early 1970s when they were held at Tulsa, and we all ran off our National Records. So many Div 1 national record holders (painted right there on the fenders), that set them at Cecil County, MD, Englishtown NJ, and especially ATCO, who could not run fast enough to qualify to race after towing that far. Could not even run the records they set. And, it was fast for us, maybe 50/60 degrees, very slight tail wind.

We had no weather stations back then, giving us the DA, Water Grains, etc.
That trip I took to Englishtown for the magazine "EFI Shootout" and article, I turned mine on when we got parked at the track. -320'!! Baro was over 30"! At that time I had never seen a minus sign in front of the DA. Had not seen 30+" Baro. The DA got all the way up to 92' that afternoon. Don't even see 92' many times or places around here. Maybe at No Problem Raceway in the Fall or Spring.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 11-02-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Block Filler and Engine Temps