LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 brake upgrade

Old 09-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS1 brake upgrade

Hello everyone,

I have a 96 F body. I have begun upgrading my brake system with the LS1 calipers, rotors and Corvette brake hoses. The front is done now I am on the rear axle. The plan was to take out the axle shafts from each side of the rear axle. I was then going to put LS1 backing plates on, then the LS1 calipers. Today I was preparing to take things apart to get an idea of what it would be like, but I noticed these teeth on the rear axle halves. I am not sure if the LS1 backing plates will work with these teeth on my current axles. I had no idea these teeth were here. Has anyone experienced this? Can I still use these axles with my LS1 brake upgrade?

Thank you
Old 09-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alex-chevy
hello everyone,

i have a 96 f body. I have begun upgrading my brake system with the ls1 calipers, rotors and corvette brake hoses. The front is done now i am on the rear axle. The plan was to take out the axle shafts from each side of the rear axle. I was then going to put ls1 backing plates on, then the ls1 calipers. Today i was preparing to take things apart to get an idea of what it would be like, but i noticed these teeth on the rear axle halves. I am not sure if the ls1 backing plates will work with these teeth on my current axles. I had no idea these teeth were here. Has anyone experienced this? Can i still use these axles with my ls1 brake upgrade?

Thank you
picture:
Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Old 09-30-2018, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are the reluctors for the 4 channel ABS system.
Do you have a 4 channel ABS system? It was usually installed in 99-2002 F bodies AFAIK.
Anyway, besides the abs type in your car the backing plates for the LS1 brakes should not interfere with these reluctors.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RGSS
Those are the reluctors for the 4 channel ABS system.
Do you have a 4 channel ABS system? It was usually installed in 99-2002 F bodies AFAIK.
Anyway, besides the abs type in your car the backing plates for the LS1 brakes should not interfere with these reluctors.

Awesome, thank you!!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Just FYI, you may want to stick with LS f-body brake hoses for the front instead of Vette. IIRC the vette hoses are longer and are at risk with coming into contact with the insides of the tires. Check that out before getting on the road.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just FYI, you may want to stick with LS f-body brake hoses for the front instead of Vette. IIRC the vette hoses are longer and are at risk with coming into contact with the insides of the tires. Check that out before getting on the road.

Thank you, will do. They look fine from what I remember, but I'll def check again. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSS
It was usually installed in 99-2002 F bodies AFAIK.
Traction control was an option starting in 95. OP, I have rear LS1 brakes, although without TC. I have read that the 98-02 axles are slightly longer to accommodate the different parking brake, so I used the later axles in my swap. You may need to use the later axles to clear the backing plate, just something to keep in mind. The later rear brake swap is not very common, so there's not a lot of info on it.

Search this Thread