LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What does 400 wheel hp feel like in an F body

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What does 400 wheel hp feel like in an F body

so I am going to be getting my heads fully ported here in my 383 and a lot of guys with the set up I'm going with are seeing 400+ wheel hp. I've never driven a car with that much hp before and I'm curious if you guys could give me your opinions on the feeling ya get when stomping on the gas pedal or if anyone has any kill stories. And my bad if I am posting this thread in the wrong section.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go test drive a new 5.0 mustang, it will feel like that. Also, you need to have the whole combo right to get the most out of a fbody, trans, stall, gears, etc:
Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its got 373s, yank 3600 stall, built trans with shift kit..nothing was untouched
Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You'll be fine. Just put good quality tires on it. You'll get bored of the power in no time.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Only thing better than 400 RWHP...…450+ RWHP :-)

Beyond the mods you have now, if the rear end is still the 7.5" you will now have enough power to hurt it if running a sticky tire. More so if M6 (clutch dump)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Take your time learning the car with the new set up.

In part to make sure the car is properly sorted out and in part to make sure you learn the cars new capabilities safely. Take extra care if it's raining or wet outside.

Take sure the car has good quality tires that aren't out of date or cracked etc. A proper alignment, the brakes are in good condition and the car stops correctly with out pulling to the side etc.

400 whp is a nice fun number for an fbody. My impression was it felt very similar to moving from v6 Camry to an LS1.

Unless the new A10 has totally transformed the 5.0 soft bottom end torque of the 5.0, the 383 LT1 will feel stronger down low. The DOHC 5.0 will be more Rev happy. I think a test drive in a 392 Challenger will be closer in feel especially on the bottom end. Push rod to push rod, similar displacement etc.

The Snow
My 99 TA had LS1 heads & cam car, T56 with 4.10's & 418whp & 404 wtq. Had to drive to work in a couple of inches of snow because the wife's car was in the shop and she was driving the beater my 91 RS.

Near Charlotte N.C. lots of idiots don't know how to drive in the snow. Growing up in stick-ville, you learned to drive in the snow. Still dreaded being in the snow and having my very first experience in the snow with a M6, 4.10's, 400+ whp and summer tires.

Getting out the driveway proved a nightmare, car immediately went side ways toward the mail box. The power windows were at least fast enough to drop before the mail box hit the window. Less then ten feet, the car was completely stuck with a mail box sticking in the driver's window in my face. It was humbling.

Like any good southern from North Carolina, I said the magic word WWDED? What Would Dale Earnhardt Do?

Rev'd to 4,000 rpms, popped the clutch, spinning tires going nowhere - and pushed off the mail box with my left hand. Dale was looking out for me that day because TA moved weightless as I pushed the car away one handed. Spinning clear, the TA rotated 180 degrees of its own will and pointed at the snow covered road in one fluid motion.

Managed to drive out of the subdivision to the main road. First stop light, immediately stuck & spin again.
What Would Dale Earnhardt Do?

Feathered the clutch, car goes sideways, correct with the wheel and steer with the throttle and drive out of it.
Definitely, got some looks with the TA's nose canted 15 degrees but going straight coming off the stop lights.

Take the summer tires off before the snow falls.​​​​

Saw several abandoned 4x4 SUV's stuck in the snow. Got passes by one 4x4 SUV doing at least 60mph on a curvy road. TA was able to safely go 25 mph, a little slower than most folks. Over the hill and around the curve was the same 4x4 SUV flipped it's side wheels still spinning.

I stopped to see if the driver was ok because no one else did. He was embarrassed but otherwise fine. He said called a ride etc and he kept saying "..but I was in 4 wheel drive..."

Know his limits and the car's or 4x4 SUV's limits and drive safely on the highway

Work day was cut short due to snow, got home early of course, just in time to learn, the wife had abandoned the 91 RS in the middle of Franklin the main six lane highway in Gastonia. She'd gotten a ride home from a family in an SUV who of course needed to get home. My wife, the husband, wife and three kids in the SUV said the RS was hopeless stuck. Everyone said pure insanity to take a rear wheel drive TA back out into the mess. R​​​​​​oad crews were working hard to clear the mess and salt down highway, I figure 91 RS was in grave danger abandoned in the middle of a key road. There was no way, they'd leave the car there. At best the RS would get pushed out of the way by a scrapper truck.

There's a Chevrolet Bow-Tie in trouble, Dale would save the RS.

Somehow the TA navigated the snow storm and we found the white RS. The trio was epic with lots of feathered clutch, car goes sideways, correct with the wheel and steer with the throttle, drive out of it and the wife telling me what an idiot I am for being out in the snow driving all Dukes of Hazzard. Thought she'd have a stroke the first time the TA's nose canted 15 degrees and went straight coming off the stop light.

With the wife as a spectator, I cranked the RS put in gear, got out of the car and pushed from the drivers door and the car started to creep forward. (I Do not advise doing that ever.) Got the RS moved a bit, wife took drivers seat, I pushed the RS to the right lane and stuck again. We swapped places and I was able to drive the RS to a parking lot. Had to leave the RS overnight but the car was ok.

We drove home in the TA.

400 whp makes everything more interesting as a driver
Be safe and have fun!

Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

if I stab it in 1st from a slow roll I can light up my 295 nitto nt05s and I'm probably at 380whp. its even easier in the cold, my drive to work this morning at 25* was especially fun every now and then I like to throw the stock salad shooters on the back (which I keep to store the car in the winter) and it will spin 2nd too. as ****** said, 400 is fun but I am used to it by now and am itching for more
Old 11-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Run proper drag radials all the time, and have good suspension. Should feel fine.

Sadly, most OEM or slightly modified newer cars are easy 11-12sec cars so 400whp may feel slow.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My 97 SS is a 400-425rw 383 with 410 gears, m6 trans.
I roast the 315 nittos in 1st gear with like half throttle. It will smoke 2nd gear from a roll and chirp 3rd hard and chirp 4th gear when getting on it hard.
It makes my approx 330rwhp 96 z28 feel like a 302 when i drive it.
A true 400rwhp car can get you into trouble quickly on the street. Learn the cars new behaviors and respect the power.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

400 rwhp is no joke. My former 98 Z28 was over 360 rwhp and I rarely felt outgunned. It's a healthy number for a street car despite us living in the YouTube 1000 hp turbo era.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

@99 Black Bird T/A Never EVER drive a 400whp car in the snow! Are you crazy man?!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 96 TA stock (275HP) I drove for 3 years all year around. Bought a LS1 TA new in 99 and that year decided to buy a beater vs drive the TA. Had the 99 up to 475HP rear wheel when I sold it in 2010. Yes, you always want more. And you do need to respect anything over 400 on the street. I could drop it in 3rd on the highway and light up the tires (with 475hp). Not for everyone. Just be careful.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

slow.

F-bodies are grossly predictable when the tires start to spin, just don't think you're Kenny from the Block as soon as you hit the drivers seat and you'll be fine. Just as SS RRR said put a good tire on and enjoy.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

even with 700+ RWHP it gets old after some time, parked it for a few months and when I got back in it, it was fun all over again..
Old 11-15-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't lose traction then it is comparable to your first time on a good roller coaster.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going to say, guys **** on 400whp because of how much power most of the new cars have, but F bodies are also a great deal lighter than a camaro or challenger and still maybe a little lighter than say a new 5.0 mustang. I would think that with gears, stall (if auto), good tires and suspension that 400whp in an F body should be in the very low 12's maybe even high 11's so it should be on par or faster than most late model muscle cars.

I'd think it would FEEL a lot faster than them too. I've driven new 5.0 mustangs and they honestly felt slower than stock F bodies. I know it wasn't, it's just the new cars are so well built/solid/well insulated you just don't feel fast. You feel almost disconnected, which is comfortable but kind of sucks too.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kris396ss
I was going to say, guys **** on 400whp because of how much power most of the new cars have, but F bodies are also a great deal lighter than a camaro or challenger and still maybe a little lighter than say a new 5.0 mustang. I would think that with gears, stall (if auto), good tires and suspension that 400whp in an F body should be in the very low 12's maybe even high 11's so it should be on par or faster than most late model muscle cars.

I'd think it would FEEL a lot faster than them too. I've driven new 5.0 mustangs and they honestly felt slower than stock F bodies. I know it wasn't, it's just the new cars are so well built/solid/well insulated you just don't feel fast. You feel almost disconnected, which is comfortable but kind of sucks too.
Just a quick google, 2017 stang is 3400-3800lbs, which is Fbody area. Not huge difference, unless you tin can your fbod.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Like waaarm apple pie.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Take your time learning the car with the new set up.

In part to make sure the car is properly sorted out and in part to make sure you learn the cars new capabilities safely. Take extra care if it's raining or wet outside.

Take sure the car has good quality tires that aren't out of date or cracked etc. A proper alignment, the brakes are in good condition and the car stops correctly with out pulling to the side etc.

400 whp is a nice fun number for an fbody. My impression was it felt very similar to moving from v6 Camry to an LS1.

Unless the new A10 has totally transformed the 5.0 soft bottom end torque of the 5.0, the 383 LT1 will feel stronger down low. The DOHC 5.0 will be more Rev happy. I think a test drive in a 392 Challenger will be closer in feel especially on the bottom end. Push rod to push rod, similar displacement etc.

The Snow
My 99 TA had LS1 heads & cam car, T56 with 4.10's & 418whp & 404 wtq. Had to drive to work in a couple of inches of snow because the wife's car was in the shop and she was driving the beater my 91 RS.

Near Charlotte N.C. lots of idiots don't know how to drive in the snow. Growing up in stick-ville, you learned to drive in the snow. Still dreaded being in the snow and having my very first experience in the snow with a M6, 4.10's, 400+ whp and summer tires.

Getting out the driveway proved a nightmare, car immediately went side ways toward the mail box. The power windows were at least fast enough to drop before the mail box hit the window. Less then ten feet, the car was completely stuck with a mail box sticking in the driver's window in my face. It was humbling.

Like any good southern from North Carolina, I said the magic word WWDED? What Would Dale Earnhardt Do?

Rev'd to 4,000 rpms, popped the clutch, spinning tires going nowhere - and pushed off the mail box with my left hand. Dale was looking out for me that day because TA moved weightless as I pushed the car away one handed. Spinning clear, the TA rotated 180 degrees of its own will and pointed at the snow covered road in one fluid motion.

Managed to drive out of the subdivision to the main road. First stop light, immediately stuck & spin again.

Feathered the clutch, car goes sideways, correct with the wheel and steer with the throttle and drive out of it.
Definitely, got some looks with the TA's nose canted 15 degrees but going straight coming off the stop lights.

Take the summer tires off before the snow falls.​​​​

Saw several abandoned 4x4 SUV's stuck in the snow. Got passes by one 4x4 SUV doing at least 60mph on a curvy road. TA was able to safely go 25 mph, a little slower than most folks. Over the hill and around the curve was the same 4x4 SUV flipped it's side wheels still spinning.

I stopped to see if the driver was ok because no one else did. He was embarrassed but otherwise fine. He said called a ride etc and he kept saying "..but I was in 4 wheel drive..."

Know his limits and the car's or 4x4 SUV's limits and drive safely on the highway

Work day was cut short due to snow, got home early of course, just in time to learn, the wife had abandoned the 91 RS in the middle of Franklin the main six lane highway in Gastonia. She'd gotten a ride home from a family in an SUV who of course needed to get home. My wife, the husband, wife and three kids in the SUV said the RS was hopeless stuck. Everyone said pure insanity to take a rear wheel drive TA back out into the mess. R​​​​​​oad crews were working hard to clear the mess and salt down highway, I figure 91 RS was in grave danger abandoned in the middle of a key road. There was no way, they'd leave the car there. At best the RS would get pushed out of the way by a scrapper truck.

There's a Chevrolet Bow-Tie in trouble, Dale would save the RS.

Somehow the TA navigated the snow storm and we found the white RS. The trio was epic with lots of feathered clutch, car goes sideways, correct with the wheel and steer with the throttle, drive out of it and the wife telling me what an idiot I am for being out in the snow driving all Dukes of Hazzard. Thought she'd have a stroke the first time the TA's nose canted 15 degrees and went straight coming off the stop light.

With the wife as a spectator, I cranked the RS put in gear, got out of the car and pushed from the drivers door and the car started to creep forward. (I Do not advise doing that ever.) Got the RS moved a bit, wife took drivers seat, I pushed the RS to the right lane and stuck again. We swapped places and I was able to drive the RS to a parking lot. Had to leave the RS overnight but the car was ok.

We drove home in the TA.

400 whp makes everything more interesting as a driver
Be safe and have fun!
I don't agree with what would Dale E do, but interesting story. My 86 TA with about 200 to the wheels and no posi didn't do all that bad in the snow. My 91 5.0 probably had around the same in reality maybe a bit more - but it was un-*******-driveable if a snow flake fell on the ground two counties over. With posi. Torque-y little motors they were, especially with mods and gears like mine. Am I the only one who has watched their speedometer hover around 120mph while actually going 1 or 2 in the snow for several minutes straight?. I ordered a new car the next day. After going to get my abandoned mustang. I know how to drive in the snow btw, grew up in Colorado.

LMFAO at the jackasses who think they are invincible cuz they have 4wd. Seen quite a few fly bys further up the road no longer on the road and usually no longer sitting on their tires either.

Why are we talking about snow?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I don't agree with what would Dale E do,
One thing for sure, I wouldn't weave back and forth at 180mph only to end up in a ******* wall!