LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Rebuild & Swap into 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Not only is ram air outlawed, we have our own definition for it. A couple years ago I made a shroud for my cone filter to keep hot air away. Before aiming some brake ducting at it which sourced air from the fog light hole I piloted that rule change. I think Fast forgets I'm a director. If OP is gonna cheat I think he knows better than to post it in his build thread.

Back to the trans though, keep an eye on the bolts that hold the mount to the car itself too. For some reason they all like to come loose, but that bolt you lost is the worst offender. To lose it in that few sessions I'd venture to say you just didn't have it tight enough the first time. And watch those 2 long torque arm bolts, they love coming loose too.
I was merely asking because I am not aware of what rules you run under, what was considered ram air etc. So does that mean no factory Vette air intakes on Vettes and no factory SS Z/28s? I mean both of those have ram air factory. My 2007 G35 sedan has factory "ram air" the dual air boxes are directly plumbed to a high pressure area next to the condenser and Nissan claimed something like 8 hp gain in SAE HP at 60 mph. Does cutting the baffeling out of the bottom of a 3rd gen Camaro air box constitute as "ram air". The factory box had inlets above and in front of the radiator.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast355
I was merely asking because I am not aware of what rules you run under, what was considered ram air etc. So does that mean no factory Vette air intakes on Vettes and no factory SS Z/28s? I mean both of those have ram air factory. My 2007 G35 sedan has factory "ram air" the dual air boxes where directly plumbed to a high pressure area next to the condenser and Nissan claimed something like 8 hp gain in SAE HP at 60 mph.
Factory ram air has to be non-functional. Allowing it would simply open up Pandora's box. I lobbied for a 2sq/in bleed but that got changed to a 5 SQ/in bleed. IIRC, as defined in the rules, a ram air box on a non-ram air car that were to draw its air from a sealed radiator shroud would meet this requirement as the front intake area meets that 5 SQ/in bleed requirement. We tried pranking a guy in practice one time by taping the front of his box shut not realizing that he'd gutted the bottom of his box too so he went out like nothing was wrong.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 64GunPilot
I appreciate the help and advice. I’ve seen those pics from the LT1 swap guide. I wanted to do that, but didn’t think the MAF would fit. I could have hacked up my TPI bellows and made it work, but I chose this other route. I plan to reuse the TPI in another project later, so I decided to save my bellows and intake.

Unfortunately Ram air is specifically outlawed in our rules. Also our rules are written such that, if it doesn’t say you CAN, then you most definitely cannot.
As I said I am not familiar with the rules you run under. I have also run under rules that were the complete opposite. My personal opinion is if you do something not specifically against the rules and it works that is not cheating. If the rules say how you specifically have to setup an aspect of the car that is one thing, if they do not that is another.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Factory ram air has to be non-functional. Allowing it would simply open up Pandora's box. I lobbied for a 2sq/in bleed but that got changed to a 5 SQ/in bleed. IIRC, as defined in the rules, a ram air box on a non-ram air car that were to draw its air from a sealed radiator shroud would meet this requirement as the front intake area meets that 5 SQ/in bleed requirement. We tried pranking a guy in practice one time by taping the front of his box shut not realizing that he'd gutted the bottom of his box too so he went out like nothing was wrong.
So I guess my curiosity is what you did to make the factory C5 air intake not a ram air intake? Then again maybe i am not understanding the 5 sq/in bleed requirement.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

So I guess my curiosity is what you did to make the factory C5 air intake not a ram air intake? Then again maybe i am not understanding the 5 sq/in bleed requirement.
Having posted this makes me realize we may need to clean that up now. The ram air delete preceded the change where we defined ram air by many years. Onto the rules change list it goes!
Old 12-20-2022, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

I ran in a Dirt class with a friend that said factory GM manifolds only on both the intake and exhaust manifolds and a GM 2bbl 2GC carb. They made a Venturi size rule and forbid stainless GM truck exhaust manifolds as well as 2-1 exhaust setups the next season. I put a factory 2bbl 400 intake on it with the matching carb off a 1970-72 400 that used the large bore 2GC while other guys were using 305, 307 and 350 small bore manifolds and carbs. It was not in the rules stating I had to run the small bore carb nor was it prohibited to run the large bore. Nothing in the rules said no factory truck tubular manifolds although there was a specific rule against aftermarket headers. Finally there was no rule dictating the use of true dual exhaust. The rules simply said that it had to stay under X decibels which meant mufflers. I used a merge Y and a pair of magnaflows to meet the decibel requirement which made my exhaust comoletely free breathing. There was also no rules stating the use of an open air cleaner and I had the air intake sealed to a large opening cut into the cowl. Our airfilter did not get plugged with mud 5 laps into the race like everyone elses did. A couple of years later that class prohibited LT1 manifolds as well. We started using TBI 8-lug 2.25" outlet manifolds.

Last edited by Fast355; 12-20-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

I ran in a Dirt class with a friend that said factory GM manifolds only on both the intake and exhaust manifolds and a GM 2bbl 2GC carb. They made a Venturi size rule and forbid stainless GM truck exhaust manifolds as well as 2-1 exhaust setups the next season. I put a factory 2bbl 400 intake on it with the matching carb off a 1970-72 400 that used the large bore 2GC while other guys were using 305, 307 and 350 small bore manifolds and carbs. It was not in the rules stating I had to run the small bore carb nor was it prohibited to run the large bore. Nothing in the rules said no factory truck tubular manifolds although there was a specific rule against aftermarket headers. Finally there was no rule dictating the use of true dual exhaust. The rules simply said that it had to stay under X decibels which meant mufflers. There was also no rules stating the use of an open air cleaner and I had the air intake sealed to a large opening cut into the cowl. Our airfilter did not get plugged with mud 5 laps into the race like everyone elses did.
Did they end up outlawing it? There was a lot more cat and mouse like that before I joined, but the rules are pretty tight now. Stuff like that wouldn't matter as we're limited on power and weight now too. We have to get a Dyno cert every year and there's a hard limit at 267whp/317wtq. If you're making that much power you're 205# heavier than a car making 260/310, so hardly worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Fast355 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Did they end up outlawing it? There was a lot more cat and mouse like that before I joined, but the rules are pretty tight now. Stuff like that wouldn't matter as we're limited on power and weight now too. We have to get a Dyno cert every year and there's a hard limit at 267whp/317wtq. If you're making that much power you're 205# heavier than a car making 260/310, so hardly worth it.
No power rule on what we were doing. Just a madate for a 305, specific unported heads, no domed pistons and a lift rule that was supposed to mean a factory cam to them.

Last edited by Fast355; 12-20-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Yea they banned several things we were using that were not against the written rules prior.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea they banned several things we were using that were not against the written rules prior.
Pretty much, our rules are such that, if it doesn’t specifically allow something, then it is not allowed. Must remain OE unless otherwise specified. However, it will specifically outlaw certain things for clarification.

We want to make sure that the foxbody mustangs can compete equally with the LS1 Camaros. So there are weight differences and modifications allowed to bring each platform up to as equal as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Fast355 (12-20-2022)
Old 03-01-2023, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Ready to hit the track this coming weekend for my first race this season with the rebuilt car. Excited to see how it goes. MSR-Cresson is a fun track and we have 9 CMC cars signed up to race against. Will report back here with pictures, results, and feedback about the LT1 performance. Had to change my number from #77 to #64. Suites me better because.......

Old 03-01-2023, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

I think you need to change your sig from "Currently undergoing an LT1/T56 swap" to "LT1/T56 swapped"
Old 03-01-2023, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Make sure to post videos, good bad or otherwise.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Fresh Numbers applied.

Fresh Numbers

Now I won’t have any number conflicts at Hallett with Randy English.

Have tested this out. Seems to work pretty good surprisingly everything tracks perfect. The Motorhome was easier to drive with all this behind than it is alone. Trailer brakes slow everything down well. It’s legal under the Texas transportation code under “saddle mount” . But I may or not be 4ft over the 65ft limit. Depends on who’s measuring.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

What's powering the motorhome again? Not a gasser is it?
Old 03-01-2023, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

What's powering the motorhome again? Not a gasser is it?
7.2L Cat 3126 330hp/880tq. Not a sports car for sure but she gets around just fine at 60mph holds a gear and speed up mild to moderate inclines. Gets about 9mpg @ 60mph pulling my suburban behind it. I figure this trailer configuration is about 10,000lbs all together. Max limit for the trailer and hitch.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

That setup cracks me up
Old 03-01-2023, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shakenfake
That setup cracks me up
Comical maybe. Functional yes. Safe????? Well, weight distribution hitch, double backup straps. I think it’s safe. Tested it out yesterday. Surprisingly smooth and worked pretty well. The Allison 3000MH transmission has NO WEIGHT LIMIT. Just the torque limit. So I figure everything should survive.

If it were just me, I’d be sleeping in the back of my suburban at the track. But my wife and 1yr old……..she is always by my side no matter what. So I gotta give her some comfort, and freedom. So why not just bring the Kia with us.

Side note: I wanna put that thing on the track someday. Handles really good. Wondering what it can do.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Oh that was no offense intended I just thought the set up was funny.

I was going to ask about the Kia but I figured that was for someone other than yourself to move around in. How long are your track outings? Couple of nights I’m guessing?
Old 03-01-2023, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Oh that was no offense intended I just thought the set up was funny.

I was going to ask about the Kia but I figured that was for someone other than yourself to move around in. How long are your track outings? Couple of nights I’m guessing?
I try to go down on Thursday nights if the track lets us. Leave Sunday evening.

Quick Reply: LT1 Rebuild & Swap into 3rd Gen