LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

Hey all! I am a long time reader and just recently picked up a 1996 TransAm over the winter. Not sure if this was the right place to post this one. All is good (with the car) but I have noticed a micro oil leak but also a coolant leak. The coolant leak seems to have increased so I investigated. Looks like the oil drain plug may be leaking. I have noticed a radiator hose that is leaking looking from the bottom of the car. Looks like the previous owner did repair that is starting to let go. Does anyone happen to know what house this is? Having trouble searching for a replacement. Attached photos of it.

Leaking hose with repair (taken from under vehicle)

Leaking hose with repair (taken from under vehicle)

Oil leak
Old 05-26-2024, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Tighten the drain plug and see if it stops.

That hose, yeah, it's clearly f-ed and the previous owner tried a crappy repair. You might not be able to get that hose new and might have to make your own hose or buy used hose from EBay.

Here's a rundown on making your own hose:

http://shbox.com/1/heater_hose_repair.html

EDIT: Actually scratch that, you can get it new. Part # 10261147

Old 05-27-2024, 05:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That oil leak is not coming from the drain plug. start at the top of the engine and work your way down. Theres numerous places on this engine that are probably leaking. Valve covers, valley cover, oil pressure sending unit, and hopefully not but a very good possibility...the rear main seal and cover. best thing you can do is pressure wash the engine real good top to bottom and try to pin point the leak
Old 05-27-2024, 06:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 529 Likes on 381 Posts

Can’t say where that oil leak is coming from, but as stated, start feeling the back of the intake where it meets the china wall on the block as well as the perimeter of the valve covers. If it’s a rear main your flywheel will be soaked with oil. I believe that coolant hose routes to the heater core. It is a combo of two hoses made of hard line and rubber and is sold as a unit. Do a search for your year Camaro along with “heater core hose” and you should get some results. This is the first one when I did a quick search:
https://www.carparts.com/details/Che...8&gclsrc=3p.ds

It is kind of a bitch to replace, but doable with the engine in the car.

Or you could simply cut the crimping around the hose, splice on a new section and use hose clamps. I think it is a good idea to use that hard line where all that goopy sealant is because I think it is a restrictor so your heater core doesn’t blow out. I may be wrong on that one. :shrug:
Old 05-28-2024, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Hmm doesn’t look like my post went through. After further investigation it doesn’t appear that the repair on the hose is actually leaking but still want to replace it. Still need to investigate further where this slow leak is coming from. Seems to be coolant at the base and dripping on the cv boot onto floor. No apparent leaks on tubing at the top of the engine.

Old 05-28-2024, 11:19 PM
Village Troll

You sure that's coolant? Looks like refrigerant dye to me and it looks to be right under the A/C compressor. Unless the coolant has been changed the '96 comes with DexCool/Orange.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (06-09-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

That's definitely refrigerant/dye.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Def dye, it's all over the compressor to boot.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:12 PM
Teching In

The coolant appears same colour. If it was originally Dex orange someone changed it at some point. Will take things apart to look at more tubing and the water pump. I suppose there is a possibility that someone died the system still. Maybe something is dripping at the top of the compressor just hard to see anything.

From coolant reservoir and fluid on floor
Old 05-30-2024, 11:47 AM
Village Troll

Get a black light. Wait until it's dark and shine it on that area. If it lights up like Chernobyl, then it's dye. Also, check the top of the compressor to see if it is as soaked as the bottom side.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,335 Posts

That look like PAG 46 with UV dye that's on the AC compressor to me. If the coolant is leaking down then it's most likely coming from one the hoses on the water pump.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Will try that thanks! I think the answer is no but coolant wouldn’t show up with black light in most cases?
Old 06-09-2024, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Got a black light. Looks like dye and maybe a leak somewhere on the compressor. No apparent coolant leaks except a micro leak at the thermostat housing, maybe the gasket. Thanks for the help all. Will need to look into changing this compressor out.

Old 06-09-2024, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,335 Posts

There are a series of o-rings that are on a shaft that enters into the back of the compressor. it's is held in with a snap ring and is under pressure. I'm certain that's where the leak is coming from but it could be the o-rings on the line connecting to the back of the compressor that's leaking. May not need to replace the compressor and it's just the o-rings.
Old 06-09-2024, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check it out first before jumping right to the entire compressor!
Old 06-09-2024, 05:54 PM
Village Troll

My bet is it's leaking around the pulley and it will have to be replaced. I say that only to say if you are in search of one, I've had real good luck with an "AC Delco" bought off Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Just make sure if you have to go this route you irrigate the A/C lines with a cleaner. Whatever I used was a foam and then used compressed air to blow it out. Worked very well. There is a chance the compressor is blowing junk into the lines and if you just put another one on that junk can ruin the new compressor. Not a sermon. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak