LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What exactly is the Optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is the Optispark?

I have done a search for it on the forum and cannot find it, perhaps someone could just tell me? I keep hearing more and more bad things about this part and how you should replace it ASAP, or convert it to something else... (??)

Thanks,

John
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a piece of **** ignition system on LT1 and LT4 engines. They don't like water too much.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Oh okay.

So what are you options on fixing it? I have read about vented Optispark and aftermarket help. What is the best solution?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

MSD is coming out with an upgrade soon. Some of the LT1 people could offer more help than me on this subject.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Launching!

The distributor serves two functions: 1. OPTIcal engine speed and position timing and 2. high voltage ignition distribution to the eight SPARK plugs. Thus, "optispark."

The data created by the sensing system (via OPTI) is used by the computer to create ignition timing. The timing signal is sent from the computer to the ignition module. Then the ignition module sends a signal to the ignition coil. Once charged, the ignition coil fires a electrical charge to the distributor cap. Finally, the rotor inside the cap distributes the spark to the appropriate cylinder.

The biggest advantage the optispark had was extremely accurate ignition timing. Back in 1992, it was rare that any other sports cars had this occurance.

Now, the disadvantages:
1. Both the water pump and crank pulley need to be removed in order to gain access to the distributor (which can be a pain-in-the-***).
2. Being located at the front of the engine (camaros and firebirds), heat, water, and debris can easily wear down the distributor (not to mention leaky front crank seals or waterpumps).
3. Replacement units can cost over $400.00, depending on model year.

There are different solutions to this problem. The easiest would be replacing the cap and rotor every 50,000 miles or so. Another solution would be using distributorless components (such as a muti-coil direct ignition system--which bypasses the cap and rotor). And I'm not familiar with what MSD is coming up with. So, maybe someone else with chime in on that.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT1 Guy
The distributor serves two functions: 1. OPTIcal engine speed and position timing and 2. high voltage ignition distribution to the eight SPARK plugs. Thus, "optispark."

The data created by the sensing system (via OPTI) is used by the computer to create ignition timing. The timing signal is sent from the computer to the ignition module. Then the ignition module sends a signal to the ignition coil. Once charged, the ignition coil fires a electrical charge to the distributor cap. Finally, the rotor inside the cap distributes the spark to the appropriate cylinder.

The biggest advantage the optispark had was extremely accurate ignition timing. Back in 1992, it was rare that any other sports cars had this occurance.

Now, the disadvantages:
1. Both the water pump and crank pulley need to be removed in order to gain access to the distributor (which can be a pain-in-the-***).
2. Being located at the front of the engine (camaros and firebirds), heat, water, and debris can easily wear down the distributor (not to mention leaky front crank seals or waterpumps).
3. Replacement units can cost over $400.00, depending on model year.

There are different solutions to this problem. The easiest would be replacing the cap and rotor every 50,000 miles or so. Another solution would be using distributorless components (such as a muti-coil direct ignition system--which bypasses the cap and rotor). And I'm not familiar with what MSD is coming up with. So, maybe someone else with chime in on that.

Thanks a lot LT1 Guy, that was an excellent post! Completely answered my question about what it is..

So you LT1 guys actually spend $400 or so replacing it every 50k miles?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Launching!

50,000 miles is a good estimate. Some last longer some shorter. I had to replace mine at around 68,000 miles. Just make it a common practice to check your optispark everytime you do a tune-up.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddelallata
It's a piece of **** ignition system on LT1 and LT4 engines. They don't like water too much.
Yeah it is
Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is at 120,000 miles with an msd6 plugged into it, which leads me to believe that some people dont know how to install them correctly when i start hearing that their after market opti only lasted them 5000 miles.

Quick Reply: What exactly is the Optispark?