LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why do you guys keep holding on to your lt1s?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
AFAIK, F-body wise you can still keep your gauges. The wiring harness has to be modified.
If you can then thats honestly cool. I just dont think there is one simple catch all answer as to why keep an lt1. Not like it is a terrible engine left stock.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:44 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Money_Pit
If you can then thats honestly cool. I just dont think there is one simple catch all answer as to why keep an lt1. Not like it is a terrible engine left stock.
Agreed. It's not at all. I was all in for a swap a few years ago, but I already have enough invested into this engine that I don't want to have to start over when this one is perfectly good. Besides, life is too short. I've been enjoying the **** out of the output of my mildly built 396. Perhaps one year I'll get a wild hair, but with the way **** is going with current events and build quality circling the toilet bowl and such, I want to keep what I have.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Agreed. It's not at all. I was all in for a swap a few years ago, but I already have enough invested into this engine that I don't want to have to start over when this one is perfectly good. Besides, life is too short. I've been enjoying the **** out of the output of my mildly built 396. Perhaps one year I'll get a wild hair, but with the way **** is going with current events and build quality circling the toilet bowl and such, I want to keep what I have.
Exactly ! You're already having a ton of fun with it and no major reason to swap it. In my opinion if I really wanted to do a swap and go through the hastle of finding another engine, I would do something other than a v8, like a straight six, for the fun of it. If you do end up blowing the motor some how to a catastrophic level, then swapping it for something else would totally be fine.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts

AFAIK, F-body wise you can still keep your gauges. The wiring harness has to be modified.
b-body you can as well
The following users liked this post:
SS RRR (09-02-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't have my '97 very long but probably would still have if was my only toy when we had kids. Sold it when we found about #2 kid on the way. Drove good, everything worked, plenty of power. Just needed a paintjob and little work on the back. Wife still misses it.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:58 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've kept mine all these years (26-27 yrs and counting because I've got more money than sense! LMAO In all seriousness, despite all the headaches I love the car and it was my 1st I built from stock from the ground up. And I like that people talk trash about it...unit they either ride in it or get their feelings hurt. She turns 30 next month and as long as there is gas, she'll be on the road when she acts right. She looks good too even still with all the new cars out on the market...could be biased but I don't give a ****. And they're rare to see on the road where I am let alone in good condition.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve kept mine just because it’s not worth anything, and everybody needs a “dream” or a toy, even if you never touch it, to stay sane. I like being able to say “I have a camaro, and some day I’ll ____________”, even if that poor car has been locked in a haulmark trailer for the past 2 years.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:19 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Have been driving mine nonstop now for the past six weeks or more. Every time I park it for the winter I think on selling it, but then once I start driving it again there's just no way. I'm going through this with my bike now. Recently had a friend get hit while he was on his and ultimately lost a leg because of it, and now I'm thinking because I've gone unscathed during my riding career it's time to move on. Dunno...

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I’ve kept mine just because it’s not worth anything, and everybody needs a “dream” or a toy, even if you never touch it, to stay sane. I like being able to say “I have a camaro, and some day I’ll ____________”, even if that poor car has been locked in a haulmark trailer for the past 2 years.
Just make sure to eyeball it every now and again to ensure rodents don't take it over.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Have been driving mine nonstop now for the past six weeks or more. Every time I park it for the winter I think on selling it, but then once I start driving it again there's just no way. I'm going through this with my bike now. Recently had a friend get hit while he was on his and ultimately lost a leg because of it, and now I'm thinking because I've gone unscathed during my riding career it's time to move on. Dunno...

Just make sure to eyeball it every now and again to ensure rodents don't take it over.
After my second child was born 5 years ago, I couldnt get back on my bike, and it sat for the next 4.5 years until I sold it this winter. The camaro I do check periodically that its still there, but mice ate the bottom of the driver seat years ago when it sat in my garage untouched for a while. Poor thing really hasnt regularly been driven since 2015.
SS RRR (09-07-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:24 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer driving my 95 Z28 over my bmw 550i and the 89 notch 5.0L

The low end grunt from the exhaust is awesome! Had it since 1999 and drive it almost everyday. Hitting 190K miles and runs perfect. Ive had lots of people offering to buy it, been saying no every time.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Man. Ever since I got my C5Z back and autocrossed it back to back with my Camaro, the Camaro seems lifeless. It's nuts. The Z is weird because it comes on like a tidal wave going from Jekyll to Hyde, but the Camaro hits at any RPM and pulls exactly the same until the rev limit. I need to overlay their dynos now and see how low you have to go for the LS6 to give it up to the LT1.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Man. Ever since I got my C5Z back and autocrossed it back to back with my Camaro, the Camaro seems lifeless. It's nuts. The Z is weird because it comes on like a tidal wave going from Jekyll to Hyde, but the Camaro hits at any RPM and pulls exactly the same until the rev limit. I need to overlay their dynos now and see how low you have to go for the LS6 to give it up to the LT1.
3,500 rpm give or take. Atleast that is what it took your LS6s big brother the LQ9 with headers, intake and tune to build more power than a L31 with headers and a tune. The L31 was also spinning a 4L85E and clutch fan to the LQ9s electric fans and 4L60E. The LQ9 actually never matched the L31s torque, but did surpass it in HP on the top-end charge.The LS6 having less cubes and a shorter runner intake will take some RPM to overcome the tractor like low-end torque of a SBC.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast355
3,500 rpm give or take. Atleast that is what it took your LS6s big brother the LQ9 with headers, intake and tune to build more power than a L31 with headers and a tune. The L31 was also spinning a 4L85E and clutch fan to the LQ9s electric fans and 4L60E. The LQ9 actually never matched the L31s torque, but did surpass it in HP on the top-end charge.The LS6 having less cubes and a shorter runner intake will take some RPM to overcome the tractor like low-end torque of a SBC.
Don't forget the LT1 also has a very short runner intake, but 3500 sounds about right for the crossover point. I remember thinking how much I'd hate to have an LS6 in a heavy truck. It moves the C5Z along just fine though, definitely wouldn't trade it for a small block in that platform. I just end up driving my trucks more on a daily basis.
Fast355 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me - I just prefer the cleaner look of the earlier LT1 4th gens, especially how my Formula has that "banshee-like" front-end and overall "sleek" look to it.

Also while the LS engines have that high-rpm power, the LT1's have the low-rpm "torque"
RallyBoy (10-12-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I autocross against lots of modified imports with substantially more HP (FD RX7's, STi's, 370z's, etc) and occasionally get some comment about how little power 1990's 'muscle cars' had and how heavy they were. I don't think any of them have ever driven in a car with V8 or realize that their STi weighs just as much. The first time they ride along for a lap there's always an "OMG - the torque!" comment, followed by a lot of giggling. I paid $4K Canadian for it, put another $2K into suspension and (street legal) tires, and it finishes in the top 5 or 6 in raw times at every event. A stock, manual LS f-body with equivalent mileage is $18K+ around here.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread reading this years and years later. I have a '97 Formula with a 383.
Running stock, I spun a rod bearing in like 2002.
Never have quite gotten the 383 running correctly, then Opti issues, then fuel pump issues, then more Opti issues, now another fuel pump issue...
Just bought a '22 2SS 1LE.
Everyone asking why I still have my '97 LT1. Honest answer is I just don't know? LOL.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

I have milkshake in my LT1 after letting it sit. I may not be holding onto it for much longer...
Old 10-10-2022, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Might be condensation.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

It’s in the coolant lines and not the oil so it would be quite strange.
My water hoses keep getting sweaty too. No idea what is wrong with that

I pulled valve covers and check intake ports since intake is off and everything looks kosher so oh well. Flush and move on. Keeping my LT1 another year yet
Old 10-11-2022, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've seen sludgy crap like that in the coolant lines or on the underside of the radiator cap before. I also saw it in my 97 when I had to replace the head gaskets inside lifter valley. Like I said it's just condensation and yes it seems to happen when the car sits for awhile especially as temperatures start changing (lots of seasonal variation up here in Wisconsin).

Quick Reply: Why do you guys keep holding on to your lt1s?