LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LME Dart heads for LT1/LT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LME Dart heads for LT1/LT4

LME is offering head conversions for LT1 and LT4. We can convert just about any aluminum traditional small block chevy for reverse cooling to work on your LT1/LT4. Most of the heads that we convert are the Dart Pro 1 and the Pro Topline and 18 deg. can also be done for the all out race LT1 engines. We can covert a LT4 manifold to work with these heads or convert a carb. style manifold for fuel injection. Prices start at $500.00 to convert the heads. Call for more info.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

What else would have to be modified to run an 18 degree head? Offset rockers? I might be very interested in running a set on my next engine project. Just want to get all the info, weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Usually offset lifters, shaft-mount rockers, custom cut pistons.

Very cool idea guys...I was wondering how long it'd be until someone started doing this. Any plans on doing an intake w/ the conversion?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
What else would have to be modified to run an 18 degree head? Offset rockers? I might be very interested in running a set on my next engine project. Just want to get all the info, weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks

Jeff
the brodix 18* sbc heads use all regular 23* valvetrain stuff except for offset lifters, and flow awesome.
youd probably still need custom pistons though, im not sure.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome, glad to see a machine shop who knows what they are doing step up to the plate and offer head conversion for us LT1 guys. Time to show some LS1s whats up.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

now if only someone made an aftermarket aluminum LT1 capable of 454 ci, 454 LT1 with 18degree heads would rock!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by got_hp?
the brodix 18* sbc heads use all regular 23* valvetrain stuff except for offset lifters, and flow awesome.
youd probably still need custom pistons though, im not sure.
So I assume that the problem with running the pistons used in for a standard 23 degree head would be valve clearance issues correct?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Sponsor

Default 18 deg

Depending on what type of 18 deg. heads you want to run you will need offset lifters and custom pistons. We can also build you a sheetmetal intake to fit the 18deg. that would resemble the LT4 manifold. Give us a call for more ?'s
Old 12-30-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
So I assume that the problem with running the pistons used in for a standard 23 degree head would be valve clearance issues correct?
A Pro1 probably wouldn't have those problems, but the Brodix 18X (standard or spreadport) would. You should be able to run standard lifters & rockers w/ the 18X's though...that's what makes them so attractive. Brodix's standard 18* will require a .180 offset lifter and shaft-mounts though.

Both Dart and Brodix have all their info on their sites:
http://www.dartheads.com
http://www.brodix.com

and I'm an idiot b/c I just saw the part about converting an LT4 intake to work w/ them. Now I'm interested.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok...my friend and I just got his 410ci LT1 shortblock in and some converted heads with a custom intake manifold look really good for this big inch sbc. The only thing is we dont want to put new pistons in. Not sure on the brand of pistons but they are forged and have a 12.5:1 CR with stock heads. Anyways to get around the clearancing while still being able to run a big cam and good compression?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:35 PM

If it were me, I'd run a set of All-Pro 220s or bigger.
www.allproheads.com

They're 23* and some of the best 23* heads out there. Just make sure to check your piston-to-valve clearance before starting the motor w/ a big stick in it.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jordan57
Ok...my friend and I just got his 410ci LT1 shortblock in and some converted heads with a custom intake manifold look really good for this big inch sbc. The only thing is we dont want to put new pistons in. Not sure on the brand of pistons but they are forged and have a 12.5:1 CR with stock heads. Anyways to get around the clearancing while still being able to run a big cam and good compression?
We should be able to cut some new valve notches in the pistons. As long as you have plenty of material in the crown of the piston.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:42 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongse
If it were me, I'd run a set of All-Pro 220s or bigger.
www.allproheads.com

They're 23* and some of the best 23* heads out there. Just make sure to check your piston-to-valve clearance before starting the motor w/ a big stick in it.
damn those are some badass heads! i would love to switch heads down the road! save that for next year!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LMEengines
LME is offering head conversions for LT1 and LT4. We can convert just about any aluminum traditional small block chevy for reverse cooling to work on your LT1/LT4. Most of the heads that we convert are the Dart Pro 1 and the Pro Topline and 18 deg. can also be done for the all out race LT1 engines. We can covert a LT4 manifold to work with these heads or convert a carb. style manifold for fuel injection. Prices start at $500.00 to convert the heads. Call for more info.

Nice to see you guys have not forgotten about the Lt1 guys. Also nice to have what is lately looking like it may be one of the best engine building shops in the country so close (Houston).

Last edited by Rpm2800; 01-01-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rpm2800
Nice to see you guys have not forgotten about the Lt1 guys. Also nice to have what is lately looking like it may be one of the best engine building shops in the country so close (Houston).
Thanks!
Here at LME we offer the services that most shops can't or won't do. We are strickly an engine machine shop specializing in late model race engines. Our shop contains all the best equipment needed for engine machining including two cnc machines used to build street engines to the most extreme of race engines. If your in the area feel free to stop by to look at the shop and check out some of the projects being built.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by taner
damn those are some badass heads! i would love to switch heads down the road! save that for next year!
Hard to beat a head that flows 315/253 @ .700, while still pulling 288/243 @ .500". I'm putting a set of the 220s or their 360SPs on a twin turbo road racing motor this year and may slip a set on my motor. The larger ones are mainly circle track heads, but there's some cool options with them. The 245SPs have an option for dual spark plugs and all heads have a weight reduction option.

Here at LME we offer the services that most shops can't or won't do. We are strickly an engine machine shop specializing in late model race engines. Our shop contains all the best equipment needed for engine machining including two cnc machines used to build street engines to the most extreme of race engines. If your in the area feel free to stop by to look at the shop and check out some of the projects being built.
What kind of turn around is there on this conversion?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

I was wondering the same thing(turnaround time)? You said prices start at $500, what could you do for $500? I was just wondering I have a set of 23* pro 1's and was wondering what it would cost to convert them.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Sponsor

Default Turn around time

Turn around time on a head conversion is usally less than two weeks. The starting price of $500.00 is a basic conversion like what we would do on a set of Dart Pro one's or any other 23 deg head. Depending on the type of intake you use prices start at $200.00. We can convert an LT4 intake to work on the heads or setup a carb. style intake or do a custom sheetmetal for you. Do to the long list of different options you can take we can't post prices for every possibility. You can call and get a quote for the setup you are interested in going with.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Arrow

Do they sell head and intake? How much it cost because I want to keep the stock head & intake!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BadCamaro
Do they sell head and intake? How much it cost because I want to keep the stock head & intake!!!
?????????

Quick Reply: LME Dart heads for LT1/LT4