LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an M6 and learn how to drive it, I mean drive it. As far as it not being consistent at the track, again learn how to drive it. I usually run within .01 of my dial in just about every pass. They definitely will break a 10 bolt eventually with sticky tires though. They are a whoooooooooole lot more fun too.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z28SkillZ
So you guys are saying an auto with a stall can take a geared t-56 from a roll with one extra gear on hand? also with the same hp? no the a4 has more drivtrain loss...

Well I have an auto (fully rebuilt as of this week ) and you'd be hardpress to take me at a roll.... I guess it depends at the speed. usually your thinking like 20-40 right??? well when driving in OD i'll be in like 3rd/4thish is or so which is a really high gear but if i toss it down into (2) which means it wont' shift pass 2nd it will pick 2nd gear I can hit the gas and take full advantage of 2nd gear then while half way through the RPM's toss it into drive so the computer shifts for me... So I get the advantage of running in 2nd just like the M6 probably is and I get the advanatage of a faster flawless shifts... Sure I have some more drivetrain but you won't hear me at the end of the race... "hey lets go again I missed 3rd"

That also applys from the Line too I guess. nothing more annoying that after a race someone coming up and saying I missed X gear and thats why they loss...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Im in the same boat, looking for a LT1 or LS1, driven stick before but not much and never owned one. I realy want an m6 though, a major part of the reason Im looking to trade my car for one.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people can't really drive a m6. My car with ONLY a 3500 stall and subframes, was cutting 1.8 60's, while most of my friends with the m6 couldn't get under 2.4's. However there are a few people I know who can drive the hell out of a stick car and have no problem launching at the track. I guess it just depends on driving skill. For the street (which is where I spend most of my time) I wish I have got a m6 but oh well.

Last edited by slowmofo; 08-10-2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: miss spelled word
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
An A4 with a proper stall is every bit as effective as a manual from a roll.
I think the question was about stock a4 vs stock m6. besides, with all the money and time spend on the new converter for the a4 you could put more power in the m6 and you'd still beat the a4 from a roll on. a4 for 1/4 et and heavy traffic (and for being able to rev the engine in gear and in place and bouce around growling like a pitbull on a leash and scare the sheeot out of the ricers, which is really fun by the way and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet) m6 for anything else.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NXSLT1
Get an M6 and learn how to drive it... They definitely will break a 10 bolt eventually with sticky tires though.
What is all this talk of breaking a 10 bolt? does that mean my differential won't take stock hp with wide tires? If so that really blows. 'cause I wanna do at least intake, exhaust, and wheels/tires.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

People have broken them near the stock power level. If you do a 6k dump on sticky tires, there are no guarantees.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Teching In

i bought my '97 m6 having only driven a stick once or twice. after the first two days, i was proffiecent at it. it doesn't take as much time to learn as you'd think. just drive it! it also prevents boredom while driving! (but then again, i have an attention span about the size of molecule!!!) it is fun in that you can spin the tires more easily (suprised this hasn't been mentioned...) which is always fun and it's more efficient because you can shift as early as you like and the double overdrive gears... good luck on your search for the right one!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Saad06
A4 pros and cons:
pros:
easy to launch
more efficient
wont break 10 bolt
with proper stall.. more capable of better 60foots than M6

cons:
not as fun to drive
longer gears
I have an A4 that blew apart my rear end, and that was when we only had Headers on the car, and a few other tweaks. This happened way before the Cam. Stock Engine, Stall, 3.23 Gears. The thing that did it was the bigger tires.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The A4 gets a bad rap because thwere are a lot of builders out there who don't understand it and therefore build it poorly.

I agree with what some of you have said about the stall, the only peoplke who knock it are not familiar with the newer quality units. I have a 2800 Edge in my Caprice and am going to swap to a 3400. The wife can take it to go shopping with her Mom and sister or pickup Grandma, but it still performs great at the strip. As has already been said too it improves the rpm range the engine stays in under WOT, normally with a stock stall you would overrev first so as not to bog when shifting into second, the stall takes care of that and you get to keep it in a more productive rpm range. Think of them sort of like load sensitive gearing.

On the M6 and the TWO extra gears, well it has a lesser first gear and the second OD is near worthless exept out on the interstate, on the plus side you can go to 4.10s and get a great launch and the 6th gear will tame it wonderfully on the highway.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I think everyone here defends the A4 because that is what like 70% of fbodys have, and people won't admit that what they have is not superior. T56 holds more power, faster stock for stock, funner to drive, better gas millage, good burnouts, reving on demand. I mean come on. And the respect you gain from people when they see you drive a 6spd.

And I love the b.s argument about, well you can get a stall for the a4 and itll be faster. Nope, since w/ that money u use on the stall/labor you could have put into the m6 and bought some longtubes and stil raped the a4.

I ownded both a 93 a4 and now a 96 m6. I must say, w/ using the same mods on both cars and just swamping them. The m6 feels a hell of lot faster. I punch it from 15mph and it gets squierly.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

I punch my Auto from 15mph and it gets sideways. Each one has it's benefits. I have a friend with a 1994 M6 Corvette, he has a couple of things done to it, and he drives pretty damn good. I got him with the Camaro, from a roll, and a stand still. The thing that got him was the delay in shifts, and he shifts pretty fast.
There are definately argueable things with the two, and everyone will back their stuff. I would love to have a M6 to play around with, but from what I have raced and killed, my A4 has been doing fine. That and it was a good deal, so I took it.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mystic97z
automatics are for girls, be a real man and get a 6 speed.
Never lost to an automatic? Or have you just been owned by a few girls so you know this stuff firsthand? Guys...bashing one or the other is stupid. I happen to have an A4 because it was the cleanest LT1 car I could find. Sometimes I wish I had a stick to row, other times im glad I dont. Both are fun to drive. Both have pros and cons. Both can be silly fast. We are talking a small margin when u start talking about witch are faster etc. If I had to do it again Iw ould do like I did, just find the cleanest car I could and buy it.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

i dunno bout all but 6-speed is a fun factor thing i coudlnt see replacing the clutch and shifting at 6 in the morning going to work haha.. my A4's being rebuilt by john goebel so i should be happy with it when its done.. lets go M6 guys
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Exactly. Mine had a brand new Trans in it, only had 13,000 miles on it, still under warranty. That's a good deal, it will handle all the stuff I have in it no problem. That and it had some other nice things about it that we found out later.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

M6 all the way.

And I was an A4 owner.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

I saw this guys name, figured he'd shut the thread down. The last debate like this got a little spicy.
The way I see it is that most people will back what they got, eventhough there is better out there, but it's your stuff that you worked for, and worked hours on when you got it. I say if you dog on mine for being a A4, I'll run your M6 with it, and if you got a thing about it being an A4 cause that's all I have, buy me a M6, and I'll drive it every day for you to make you happy
Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Default Good luck!

Either A4 or M6 good as long as its a T/A or camaro, your in good shape to kick ***!

ONe problem I had with my old 94 z A4 though was breaking tranny mounts $45 a month and I think it was due to engine mount... But not sure ANY HOW MAN good luck on your purchase... drive a m6 at a stealership or somthing and an a4.. see which one you prefer more.. As long as it runs good and has decently low miles... GO FOR THE KILL AND BUY!

Last edited by mike1500; 06-23-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Never lost to an automatic? Or have you just been owned by a few girls so you know this stuff firsthand? Guys...bashing one or the other is stupid. I happen to have an A4 because it was the cleanest LT1 car I could find. Sometimes I wish I had a stick to row, other times im glad I dont. Both are fun to drive. Both have pros and cons. Both can be silly fast. We are talking a small margin when u start talking about witch are faster etc. If I had to do it again Iw ould do like I did, just find the cleanest car I could and buy it.
To be dead honest most people with their cars are never happy When I had an A4 i was thinkin... Damnit I want a M6.. now that I have a M6 im goin.. damn this is a pain in the *** whered my automatic go? lol

But a good point you have as well, I think one person bashing the other for a car is bad.. Its bad enough we got the american cars talkin crap (ford vs. GM) to eachother, we got GM wars ( LT1 vs. LS1 ) which is rediculous.. and now A4 vs M6. IMO if somones gonna bash me for having a A4 or a M6 or a LT1 or a LS1. Then **** em, becuase they are bashing me for being happy and driving what I want to drive!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vendetta
M6 all the way.

And I was an A4 owner.

I wasnt an A4 owner but I agree with M6 all the way.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic