LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strong fuel odor from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong fuel odor from exhaust

I just recently bought a 93 formula M6 and it has a really strong fuel odor from the exhaust pipes. Could this just be the oxygen sensors? What else could it be if that doesn't help. I have to do my emissions soon so I want to take care of everything before I take the test, and by the way it smells, it will not pass. Thanks for any help.

Dustin
Old 05-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Launching!

There could be a number of problems:
1. Mechanical problems with engine (check compression)
2. Ignition timing might be off (if so, adjust timing)
3. Problem with the computer (use a scanner)
4. Engine running too hot (check coolant levels)
5. Fuel injectors stuck open (if so, replace)
6. Could be o2 sensors (as you've suggested) or cats.
7. Ignition problems (distributor, plug wires, and/or plugs)
8. Fuel pressure too high (check with fuel pressure gauge)

Is it more a fuel smell or a rotten egg smell? Also, is your gas mileage suffering? And, do you feel a performance loss (I realize that you haven't had this car long, but can you feel a difference)?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any backfire occurring?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

It is way more of a fuel odor than a rotten egg smell. When I push the clutch in to shift the exhaust makes a loud popping noise, only sometimes though. I just ignored that because my moms 99' TA does the same thing but not as loud. I also thought about getting a hi-flow cat and having it welded in. They are only 70 bucks for a magnaflow one. The timing feels correct, I drove a celica when it was only 3 degrees BTDC and it was not responsive at all. The Firebird feels pretty responsive. I will still check that though. The SES light came on a couple days after I got it, I'll have to do a diagnostic check. I took it to the shop for tires and inspection so I can get more info for you soon but thanks a lot for the help.

Dustin

Edit: It has no temperature problems at all yet. Also it idles pretty high, at about 1000 rpm.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

they all idle at about 1000 on a cold start it will go down to like 600 after it warms up
Old 05-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if its popping and farting on the decelleration (when you slow down), it may be overly rich, or that your not properly combusting the intake charge. If the car was never messed with as far as tuning and mods. It probably need a tune up, or at least do that since a healthy running motor is a strong and long living motor.

Also get the car scanned, even if the SES light goes off, its stored in the DTC bank, so check that out too. It will most likely give you a better idea of what is going on and maybe it is just that, that needs to be fixed.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1 Guy
There could be a number of problems:
1. Mechanical problems with engine (check compression)
2. Ignition timing might be off (if so, adjust timing)
3. Problem with the computer (use a scanner)
4. Engine running too hot (check coolant levels)
5. Fuel injectors stuck open (if so, replace)
6. Could be o2 sensors (as you've suggested) or cats.
7. Ignition problems (distributor, plug wires, and/or plugs)
8. Fuel pressure too high (check with fuel pressure gauge)

Is it more a fuel smell or a rotten egg smell? Also, is your gas mileage suffering? And, do you feel a performance loss (I realize that you haven't had this car long, but can you feel a difference)?
WHAT HE SAID
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lt1FBoDy209
they all idle at about 1000 on a cold start it will go down to like 600 after it warms up
I am retarded I didnt even think about that, I havent really driven it long enough to get it at normal temp. I am dreading doing the plugs on this thing. I saw a special spark plug socket wrench on ebay for around $30 that is supposed to help, the description says doing the plugs on the lt1 is almost impossible without it.

Special ratchet for lt1
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Default changing those plugs is a bitch

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
I am retarded I didnt even think about that, I havent really driven it long enough to get it at normal temp. I am dreading doing the plugs on this thing. I saw a special spark plug socket wrench on ebay for around $30 that is supposed to help, the description says doing the plugs on the lt1 is almost impossible without it.

Special ratchet for lt1
I have that ratchet, it helped a little. Not much. Get what plugs you can from the bottom first, this will make it easier for you, dont worry about the porclin on the old plugs, just break them off if you need room for your hand. You need to drop the starter, and remove the alternater for the front and back plugs on the passenger side. If it pisses you off just walk away and come back when you have cooled off.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

I have a strong odor coming from my pipes also.

My wife just tells me to put a cork in it
Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna say... No cat.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
It is way more of a fuel odor than a rotten egg smell. When I push the clutch in to shift the exhaust makes a loud popping noise, only sometimes though. I just ignored that because my moms 99' TA does the same thing but not as loud. I also thought about getting a hi-flow cat and having it welded in. They are only 70 bucks for a magnaflow one. The timing feels correct, I drove a celica when it was only 3 degrees BTDC and it was not responsive at all. The Firebird feels pretty responsive. I will still check that though. The SES light came on a couple days after I got it, I'll have to do a diagnostic check. I took it to the shop for tires and inspection so I can get more info for you soon but thanks a lot for the help.

Dustin

Edit: It has no temperature problems at all yet. Also it idles pretty high, at about 1000 rpm.
After reading this, I agree with Rob. It's probably because you don't have cats. (I'm assuming, since you're getting hi-flows welded in).

Quick Reply: Strong fuel odor from exhaust