LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Next Gen Delteq

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Gen Delteq

I'm talking about the one that I've heard rumors about which is going to be a total replacement for the opti, so that it doesn't even use the optical part of the original opti. Does anyone know when this is slated to release? Does anyone know any details about it?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well. They have been working on it for 7 years now. So I say. any time now..
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

You could always use a crank trigger
Old 06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

or ...... wait, i got it .... bare with me on this one here, its way out of the ordinary but it JUST might work..... you could just use the damn optispark...... and get the replacement sensor if it ever f*cks up!

just an idea....
Old 06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
or ...... wait, i got it .... bare with me on this one here, its way out of the ordinary but it JUST might work..... you could just use the damn optispark...... and get the replacement sensor if it ever f*cks up!

just an idea....
Amen! I could think of several things that are a better investment, and actually make you go faster. If my buddy can run 9.3s with a stocker, then I reckon i'll be alright
Old 06-07-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
Amen! I could think of several things that are a better investment, and actually make you go faster. If my buddy can run 9.3s with a stocker, then I reckon i'll be alright
If there is nothing wrong with it, i see no reason to replace it. But if you have had opti-problems before, its a worthwhile swap. The new delteq will be even more worthwhile, there wont be any notrious optispark sensors to fail, and there is no cap/rotor, so its almost unbreakable. Not to mention, that you will get alot strong spark with such a system, so on a high rpm, or FI setup, it does have its place.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brett95z
The new delteq will be even more worthwhile, there wont be any notrious optispark sensors to fail, and there is no cap/rotor, so its almost unbreakable. Not to mention, that you will get alot strong spark with such a system, so on a high rpm, or FI setup, it does have its place.

Yup, if you can get it to work right in the first place
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

This has already been made....Dynaspark....$600....can handle revs over 7000.....so why would anybody be waiting for a Delteq
Old 06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93turboLT1
This has already been made....Dynaspark....$600....can handle revs over 7000.....so why would anybody be waiting for a Delteq

Because the dynaspark does nothing for spark dwell or voltage. It's just a very expensive version of the same thing with minor imporvments
Old 06-07-2005, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

sooo add an aftermarket ignition to it...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

My buddy runs his to around 8000 with a single coil so I fail to see the need for an upgrade. He even has an unvented 94 one. To each his own. Like I said though, I can still think of better things to spend money on.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your still missing the point. Capasitive discharge and a higher output coil can only go so far. again. Understand the reasons behind spark dwell and recharge time and you will understand why. There is a reason that some of the fastest LT1's are using multipul coil systems. They are not doing it just because they like spending money
Old 06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
your still missing the point. Capasitive discharge and a higher output coil can only go so far. again. Understand the reasons behind spark dwell and recharge time and you will understand why. There is a reason that some of the fastest LT1's are using multipul coil systems. They are not doing it just because they like spending money
I understand that the fastest N/A LT1 is using a stock opti and a single coil.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
I understand that the fastest N/A LT1 is using a stock opti and a single coil.
who cares? That doesn't change the laws and princapals that electrical engineers have been useing for years does it? Like I said. Understand the reasons behind dwell and recharge and you will understand.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

For all that goes a 1978 Chevette can get us from point A to point B (maybe) for all of $500. YET, we still put thousands in our cars and we still get from point A to point B (but maybe a little faster). Moral of the story: whatever floats your boat, everyone has preferences.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Because the dynaspark does nothing for spark dwell or voltage. It's just a very expensive version of the same thing with minor imporvments
yeap and from what I've read in most cases they end up failing just as many times as a stock opti..
Matt
Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buffman
yeap and from what I've read in most cases they end up failing just as many times as a stock opti..
Matt

I have heard some rumors like that as well. The only advantage over the stock opti is that your not going to explode a rotor at high RPM. Other then that it's still prone to wear of the cap and rotor, there is still high energy present which is what destroys the optical sensor. Add all of that up with the fact that it's a very high cost unit with little gains then what is the point of having one?

Same with the regular opti. Look at it the same. Prone to cap and rotor wear. High energy causes the optical sensor to degrade.moderate cost to replace. Rotors love to fly apart. When you add higher output coils and CD boxes it can kill the optical sensor much sooner. I have even seen it burn a hole in the rotor. Couple all that with the fact that in it's life most people will replace them about 3 or 4 times. Thats not good.

Now look at things like the delteq, LTCC, etc etc. No cap and rotor wear, no rotors exploding, no high energy in the opti ( I know people running this form of system for over 7 years with no opti trouble since the high energy is removed from the equation), higher spark enery output. MUCH more dwell and recharge time which is critical for blown and high RPM aplications. Moderate inital cost with almost no replacment cost ( your not likly to blow a module, you might lose a coil every few years but thats only 40 bucks)

If you actualy take the time to learn and study the pros, they heavily out weight the cons.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Talking

Honestly my biggest concern when purchasing the Delteq system was the solvency of the company that creates it. I'd like them to be around in another 10 years so that if/when i need a new Opti Box i can order one

I'd be willing to pay a small premium to get one if mine ever breaks so that i won't have to go back to the high voltage opti setup....

Honestly it'd be great for them to come out with other LT1-specific parts or to even venture into the LS1 scene.... just to keep them alive so that they can keep making opti boxes. Here's an idea, how about an Opti splash-guard? Im sure its been suggested many times before, but one of the biggest problems i've had with my optis (not just mechanically but costmetically too) is just the sheer amount of crap that gets on them... wouldn't it be nice to have a piece of plastic or aluminum in the way of the opti (or atleast some kind of screen) so that it doesn't get quite so much crap on it?

Also, one thing that happened to my opti last time was that one of the bolts holding the opti to the timing cover rattled loose (THANK YOU SLP LOUDMOUTH) and caused the opti to rattle itself to death. To prevent this from happening again, upon replacement of the optispark, i put a very small vertical bead of black RTV on the head of the bolt to a small portion of the timing cover and let it cure. This way it will hopefully hold but at the same time if i need to get it off i can just peel/scrape the RTV off with my finger and loosen the bolt. Has anyone else done something like this? Thus far its worked great and that bolt is not moving PERIOD....

just one of my experiences, sorry for the long post...

edit: and oh yea HBH, Northstar coils can be had at Autozone for $20/coil plus tax obviously, but just adding to your point.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Default DIS Igntion

The Delteq kit looks to be the better kit. At least for me it would be. I like it because it comes complete, plug and play. Delteq will also let you order a custom kit. Meaning a kit minus parts you already have or can get cheaper. For example if you wanted to use the MSD coils instead of the northstart coils or buy a spool of MSD wire and make your own wires. You might even be able to come across a northstar ignition module somewhere. Delteq will sell just their ignition module, mounting kit and wire harness if you wanted them to. I hope they will be around for while too. I plan on doing this myself. They seem to be a good company. They can only grow from here. their product is a good one.

With the LTCC last I checked you have to figure out your own mounting and it does not come with the LS1 coils that are required. That is a big extra expense. The plus for that the LTCC is that it has much more adjustability for NOS or huffers. It has a RPM/Boost built in adjustable rev limiter and two-step built in adjustable N2O/boost retard.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Well I shot Pete Visser an email at Delteq about it, and here was the correspondence...
------------------------------------------------------------
Hey John -

Nothing new in that department just yet. We will keep everyone posted for all future product offerings though.

Thanks for your interest!

Best regards,
Pete Visser
Delteq
703-476-3566

John S. wrote:

Hello,
I have heard rumors of a product of yours which is going to be a total replacement for the opti, so that it doesn't even use the optical part of the original opti. I was wondering if there is any idea when it will possibly be available? Thanks alot and I love the fact that you guys are doing this!
~John
------------------------------------------------------------

So, that was pretty general... I suppose they probably don't want to get everyone excited for a certain date so I can't say I blame them...

Quick Reply: Next Gen Delteq