LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 LT1 Carb conversion, couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 LT1 Carb conversion, couple questions.

Well I have a few questions about converting and LT1 to carb for my friend. He has a 94 formula that he is dropping a built 383 into. He wants to run at about 11 to 1 compression on pump gas. He has hydraulic roller right now, but he wants to switch to a solid roller. Question 1, is there anything other than lifters and the cam that needs to be switched that were not thinking of? Also he wants to ditch all the lt1 intake stuff and convert it to carb. I know they make an intake manifold and all, but what is needed to run a normal HEI distributer? Also, Ive done a ls1 thirdgen conversion of my own, and I know of all the little bitchy problems that come along, what if any are there on a carb conversion? Any way around gettin a Turbo 400 right away? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Chris
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually in a very recent chevy high performance, they carburated an LS1, AND MADE MORE POWER!!!!!..... also an LT1 will take a standard SBC HEI distrubiutor just fine if you have an intake manifold with a distributor hole. then put a freezeplug in the the opti used to go.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds pretty simple to me. so there is no other snags that occur converting to carb on an lt1? I know you cant use the stock trans (which he was planning on doing until he grenaded it just so he could drive the car) unless you get a standalone system which is out of the question. Also ABS would have to be taken out im assuming, but thats not a big deal. And what about guages, is there any way to get the stock guages to work?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. there is no other snags that occur converting to carb. i have done converting my LT1 to carb, you just need a littel cutting the black cover under the hood for the carb. when your friend wants to convert to carb he should be have M6 transmission. i have all the part numbers of the parts you will need it to convert the LT1 to carb from SummitRacing.

I have some pics of my LT1 with carb. just let me know if you are interested
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea that would be great to see some pics. If you cant post them, send them to cmatesi@luc.edu . What are you doing about guages? I dont think hes going to do M6, probably just going to do TH 400.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe you are pushing you luck with 11:1 with pump gas and a carb, chances of making it work at that compression would be substantially better with injection. If he plans to drive it I hear carbed LT1 swill fuel too as they run them rich to compensate for the lack of accurate fuel and spark control. The available intake is likely going to choke a built stroker like this too.
IMO if you want to carb an LT1 you need to do more reading and realize the benifits of injection.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well im kind of wishy washy on the idea. I guess there are better intake manifolds that will work that wont choke the motor as much as the GMPP one. I would personally stay FI, but my friend has got his heart set on the Carb. It would be simpler to set up, and its not going to be a daily driver or anything, more of a nice days only type car. Can you explain why 11 to 1 would be tougher to achieve with pump gas on a carb? Is it just because the timing isnt optimized with carb as it is with FI? Im not really an expert on carbs or lt1's(or anything for that matter), just tryin to get info for my friend here.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Neither timing or fueling are as accurate with a carb and HEI as they are with the stock management and the stock management is out of wack a little can self correct. The timing on the stock cpm is adjustable every 5KPA on a scale of 0-100 then referenced off of temp and other parameters, best you can do with an HEI is a bit of vacuum and mechanical advance and a whole lot of playing to get it right. With the computer if timing needs to come up a bit then level off in the curve some then come up some more or the curve change in rate it is all easy.
If you do that look for info on Vortec heads and I bet the timing settings they use with those will be a good starting point.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it
Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Not to drag up an old topic, but in google-ing the carb/hei conversion for days, this one just keeps popping up at the top of the list. But heres my story/question, blown there 4 optis from the dealership, blew the MSD one in a month, and is really sick of the opti set up. I had the motor bored over 20 over, had the heads ported and polished, and just ordered the intake, my question is. What kind of ignition set up did you guys use with boxes and coils, or what model distributors? Please anybody with ignition info on this help me out.

Quick Reply: 383 LT1 Carb conversion, couple questions.