LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replaced Optispark, other small things, and car doesn't run hardly at ALL.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Optispark, other small things, and car doesn't run hardly at ALL.

I replaced the water pump, some hoses and my optispark, along with doing plugs and wires.

We tried to fire it up today and it cranks for a second, catches, and starts running but with EXTREMELY retarded timing. That's what it sounds like anyway. No matter how hard I push the pedal, it does NOT rev, only attempts to idle. It seems to bog slightly of it's own accord from time to time.

The optispark was a rebuilt unit, with a brand new cap and rotor. The rest of the ignition system has all been replaced recently except for the coil, however it worked fine before this.

The optispark was replaced because when we disassembled it for cleaning, the bearing sounded and appeared to be shot. And it was highly corroded. Rather than tempt fate, I decided to replace it.

Am I on the right track thinking it's the distributor?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Id double check the wires.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Have you checked the codes. Could be in limp mode for some reason.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

fuel...???? fuel filter....
Old 07-15-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Rebuilt units don't have a good reputation around here. I'm replacing my reman after 8K. However, could be just ever so slightly out of time. There's a procedure to retime the thing. Put the slot in the cam gear at 9:00 and I think the #1 cyl is at TDC. I think I noted that the #1 intake valve was open at this point.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Rebuilt units don't have a good reputation around here. I'm replacing my reman after 8K. However, could be just ever so slightly out of time. There's a procedure to retime the thing. Put the slot in the cam gear at 9:00 and I think the #1 cyl is at TDC. I think I noted that the #1 intake valve was open at this point.

I agree on the re-maned units. They are junk. For the very minor savings the chance of failure is not worth it. As for timing, unless he literealy jambed the spline shaft in the wrong position it can't be installed wrong. I would double check the spline shaft and then consider the opti might be bunk. Reman =
Old 07-16-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you double cheek that you lined up the cam pin to the right hole on the back of the opti???
Old 07-16-2005, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

i would double check the optispark i changed mine which i bought from Auto Zone and the optispark was bad i had a problem that it will turn on some times and just for a bitt and it will shut down also check the plug that goes into the optispark " i will recomend to double check the optispark"
Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got 3 bad remanufactured units from autozone in a row, got one from oreilly, problem solved.... next time one goes out im getting a dynaspark
Old 07-16-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
I agree on the re-maned units. They are junk. For the very minor savings the chance of failure is not worth it. As for timing, unless he literealy jambed the spline shaft in the wrong position it can't be installed wrong. I would double check the spline shaft and then consider the opti might be bunk. Reman =
Well the reason I mention being out of time is that I have had this problem before: moving the crank enough to take it out of time when I was removing the balancer. I have a one piece Fluidampr and taking the whole thing out puts a little stress on the crank and moves it slightly. I did it enough one time that I bolted my opti right back up and car would not fire. Had to go through the retime procedure.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
I got 3 bad remanufactured units from autozone in a row, got one from oreilly, problem solved.... next time one goes out im getting a dynaspark

Can you tell me how were the units bad, could you tell by looking at them >>>????
Old 07-16-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Not externally. You would have to take them apart and see what's burned up but I wouldn't recommend that. A DTC is good enough for me. Taking the cap and rotor off is no biggie and you could examine that but I don't think I would disassemble the lens.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Well the reason I mention being out of time is that I have had this problem before: moving the crank enough to take it out of time when I was removing the balancer. I have a one piece Fluidampr and taking the whole thing out puts a little stress on the crank and moves it slightly. I did it enough one time that I bolted my opti right back up and car would not fire. Had to go through the retime procedure.

What's the retiming procedure?

Quick Reply: Replaced Optispark, other small things, and car doesn't run hardly at ALL.