LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Corvette LT1 owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Corvette LT1 owners

Any LT1 Vette owners in here? Judging by the posts the F-bodies are prevalent. Advice needed on major modifications....I'm not sure if f-body lt1 mods will cooperate with the vette lt1.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seeing as it is the same motor yeah f-body stuff will in large part work exeptions would be chassis specific stuff like headers and intake tract in front of the TB. Hell even the b-body has the same rotating assembly as a Vette and many other engine parts are shared as well. Once you get over the Vette part and think of it as an LT1 then your research will go much better.
Now what are you looking to do? Heads/cam, nitrous, forced induction, stroker?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Everything engine wise is the same. Its the "boltons" that will kill you. Example: LTs for F-body=$285. LTs for a Y-body $600. exhaust systems are in the same boat. Very expensive. I own a 92 A4 Vette that I have put Heads and a small cam in along with several boltons. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions
Old 08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted an LT1 Y-Body. If I hadn't had the insurance and legal problems I've had I'd probably have one by now. They are sweet cars.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

I'm looking into serious mods that involve a motor rebuild. I'm interested in the LT4 conversion from Scoggin-Dickey. The kit with CNC ported heads/intake is $3k. They claim it bolts up to 100 hp, but these claims are hard to gauge.

My goal is a low 12 sec car without nitrous or a blower, unless the cost is too significant. I've looked at Powerdyne and Vortech supercharger kits....the places I've looked sell them for $4k - $5k.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't waste your time on the LT4 conversion. The cam is old technology and there are far better designs out there now, plus I don't think the LT4 springs are up to the lift of a big cam for long.

Plus, you can have your stock heads ported to outflow the LT4's by a large margin and still come out cheaper.

The 425hp they advertise is crank HP, not to the wheels. You're looking at maybe a 350rwhp setup with the LT4 conversion and full exhaust/longtubes.

You can do better than that, my Lloyd Elliot ported heads and XE 224/230 put down 362 through the auto and 2800 stall Vigilante converter.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boshaft

My goal is a low 12 sec car without nitrous or a blower, unless the cost is too significant. I've looked at Powerdyne and Vortech supercharger kits....the places I've looked sell them for $4k - $5k.
Easy goal to do with a C4...you won't need a power adder to do it. Plus compression on the LT1 is so high it doesn't like boost....so unless you want to rebuild with dished pistons don't put a blower on the car unless you don't want the motor to live very long.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
Easy goal to do with a C4...you won't need a power adder to do it. Plus compression on the LT1 is so high it doesn't like boost....so unless you want to rebuild with dished pistons don't put a blower on the car unless you don't want the motor to live very long.
I'd rather not go the blower route. I already run some octane boost, between 100 and 101 octane, so a motor that needs it is not a problem. You are running the same #'s I'd prefer, low 12s. Where did you get your heads?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

As they already said don't bother with the LT4 stuff it is for those incapable or unwilling to do research. As far as octane do you realize that when a bottle claims a 7 point gain that is from 93 to 93.7 not to 100 and that anything over 93 is complete waste even with tuning. One of the guys on the other Camao board did extensive testing on a seriously built nitrous motor and gained nothing with dyno tuning over 94 octane. Now that you found a good forum we can help you spend you money more effectively.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
As they already said don't bother with the LT4 stuff it is for those incapable or unwilling to do research. As far as octane do you realize that when a bottle claims a 7 point gain that is from 93 to 93.7 not to 100 and that anything over 93 is complete waste even with tuning. One of the guys on the other Camao board did extensive testing on a seriously built nitrous motor and gained nothing with dyno tuning over 94 octane. Now that you found a good forum we can help you spend you money more effectively.
The stuff I've been buying claims to raise octane by "up to 10 points." So you're saying it actually only raises my 91 octane fuel to 92, instead of "up to" 101......
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, that's what he's saying. In all reality you're not going to see over .10 point out of octane boost.

Plus if the car's properly tuned it won't need the added octane, and since octane slows the burn you'll get less power out of the fuel than with just what's out of the pump.

Your car should run just fine on 92 or 93. If it doesn't then something's not right.

As for my heads, they are stock LT1 heads fully ported by Lloyd Elliot (Elliot Portworks).
Old 08-22-2005, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, honestly my car I have been running on 87 octane with a mailorder tune I can't feel a difference between 93 and 87 so I save my money for parts that will make a difference I feel. I am sure that with tuning my car can pick up some power with 93 but it would be insignifigant in the big picture and at these time costly to run so I put the money saved towards parts. My car even though it is 10:1 with iron heads was factory tuned for 87 and with the thinner head gaskets has better quench and therefore should be more detonation resistant than the aluminum head motors. Our bottomends are identical the b-body motors get the 10:1 compression from larger chambers in the head combined with the thinner heads gasket in theory they are 64cc and .029 as compared to the aluminum heads 58cc and .039 with compression being 10.4 on those.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a '94 LT1 Corvette and just recently found this forum. I usually hang out at CorvetteForum, but there is a lot of great LT1 info on here. I would stay away from the LT4/Hot Cam conversion. Not that it's bad, just that you can do better for less money. Right now I'm saving for a Lloyd Elliot LE2 package. Should easily put me (or you) into the 12's.

Quick Reply: Corvette LT1 owners