The TWS Engine Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:58 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chopstix
you should win this...but who knows

Well, either way it will be fun finding out.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Update: We are getting closer. Had the car over at Tony's last night and we set the pinion angle and did some tweaks on the tune.

The Wolfe Racecraft rear swaybar goes on Saturday and then I am ready to hit the track!

I am sorry that it is taking so long (or seems to be) to get the car finished and post some numbers. I'm not trying to drag out revealing my dyno, it's just that there are a few call outs that I want to answer before I do.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

I'll be in austin on friday the 21st, anything going on?
Then on saturday I will be heading to Houston to pick up my beast of a motor.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was your guys method of changing the pinion angle. I have a Spohn TQ arm, LCA's Relocation brackets, front sway bar off, BMR k-member, passenger Airbag, and I cant get my car too hook worth a **** . But I think my pinion angle is backards probably like postive 3 instead or negative 3, lol. ANY help appreciated
Old 10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by asudecat
I'll be in austin on friday the 21st, anything going on?
Then on saturday I will be heading to Houston to pick up my beast of a motor.

Friday nights are dead. Saturday there are a couple good car shows and occasionally a little action afterwards.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:44 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A KID
What was your guys method of changing the pinion angle. I have a Spohn TQ arm, LCA's Relocation brackets, front sway bar off, BMR k-member, passenger Airbag, and I cant get my car too hook worth a **** . But I think my pinion angle is backards probably like postive 3 instead or negative 3, lol. ANY help appreciated

Tony and I went off the instructions on BMR's website.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did it make? Geez its just a dyno! LOL Its not like I didnt lend you $10.00 that day and never got it back for NOS
Old 10-14-2005, 05:38 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
What did it make? Geez its just a dyno! LOL Its not like I didnt lend you $10.00 that day and never got it back for NOS

Man, panhandling for Nitrous... I should get a life and a job.

You did get my undying gratitude. That's gotta be worth at least a nickel.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Default My Dyno Numbers!

OK, this has played out longer than I wanted it to. I initially wanted to hold off posting my numbers until I had a chance to settle a few grudge matches. These grudge matches are taking a while to line up, so rather than withhold the numbers any longer I decided to say screw it and go ahead and publicize them:

Here's a cut and paste from my post in the dnyno forum:
Motor:
It's been in the car only a month, but I got it from an acquaintance who had it built and put ~6K miles on it.
385 with AFR LT4 195 heads that have additional port work.
CC306 cam
AFR rev kit
LT4 Intake ported to match heads and ported for the ASM 58 mm TB.

Drivetrain: TCI SFI certified Flexplate, TCI SSF 3500 converter, Built 4L60E, Billingsley "extreme" driveshaft, Strange 12 bolt with 3.73's and 33 spline axles.

Best pull: 432 RWHP and 468 RWTQ

Best pull that I have a graph for: 426 RWHP and 461 RWTQ

The computer lost that best run for some reason and the one we did subsequent was 426/461. The motor was hot and my battery voltage was low.

NO dyno tricks were used whatsoever. Not even a bag of ice on the intake. It put down these numbers through a very power-sucking drivetrain, so I am very happy with them. I was even forced to dyno on stock, heavy OEM rims. I did not have the right lug nuts yet to mount my lighter convo pros on the long studs that came in the 12 bolt. Lighter wheels may have allowed it to registered a little more power.

I don't have the graph with me at work. I'll have to remember to bring it in and scan it, but rest assured I am not really interested in lying about my numbers. These are what it laid down in front of Tony Shepard, Jeff Colvin, and a whole bunch of Technicians/Mechanics at Maxwell Dodge in Austin. Half the shop would set down their tools and run over to look at my pulls after each one.

The car is going to SAR tonight. Hope to get some ET's that are worthy of those numbers. I'm more concerned with a timeslip than a dyno number.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
OK, this has played out longer than I wanted it to. I initially wanted to hold off posting my numbers until I had a chance to settle a few grudge matches. These grudge matches are taking a while to line up, so rather than withhold the numbers any longer I decided to say screw it and go ahead and publicize them:

Here's a cut and paste from my post in the dnyno forum:
Motor:
It's been in the car only a month, but I got it from an acquaintance who had it built and put ~6K miles on it.
385 with AFR LT4 195 heads that have additional port work.
CC306 cam
AFR rev kit
LT4 Intake ported to match heads and ported for the ASM 58 mm TB.

Drivetrain: TCI SFI certified Flexplate, TCI SSF 3500 converter, Built 4L60E, Billingsley "extreme" driveshaft, Strange 12 bolt with 3.73's and 33 spline axles.

Best pull: 432 RWHP and 468 RWTQ

Best pull that I have a graph for: 426 RWHP and 461 RWTQ

The computer lost that best run for some reason and the one we did subsequent was 426/461. The motor was hot and my battery voltage was low.

NO dyno tricks were used whatsoever. Not even a bag of ice on the intake. It put down these numbers through a very power-sucking drivetrain, so I am very happy with them. I was even forced to dyno on stock, heavy OEM rims. I did not have the right lug nuts yet to mount my lighter convo pros on the long studs that came in the 12 bolt. Lighter wheels may have allowed it to registered a little more power.

I don't have the graph with me at work. I'll have to remember to bring it in and scan it, but rest assured I am not really interested in lying about my numbers. These are what it laid down in front of Tony Shepard, Jeff Colvin, and a whole bunch of Technicians/Mechanics at Maxwell Dodge in Austin. Half the shop would set down their tools and run over to look at my pulls after each one.

The car is going to SAR tonight. Hope to get some ET's that are worthy of those numbers. I'm more concerned with a timeslip than a dyno number.

good numbers man...those locked or unlocked? good luck @ the track...im guessing 11.2's or 3's...im not sure who much exactly the car weighs though...
Old 10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those are some very impressive numbers through an A4, stall converter, and 12 bolt. Please let us know how you do at the track, I def think 10's will be in the bag for you.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Teching In

let me know when you take this thing out, with all the hype surrounding it it should make for one badass track session indeed. 432/468 with the a4 and stall, like bigkap said, i'd like to see it in the high 10's. i also need to run my machine but of course, not against yours, i get mine back from the shop today
Old 10-20-2005, 12:49 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. Went to the track as planned last night. As always with a big project, there are bugs and issues to be worked out. However, the motor runs good, runs strong, and even after just one track session, I think a high 10 is possible with some additional suspension work.

here's the discussion about last night:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/396689-sar-tomorrow-night-oct-19th.html
Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Default Track Results

To consolidate everything into this thread:

The initial track results were promising, but did not reveal the full potential of the car.

3 passes, all with wheelspin, netted a best of 11.38 @119.33. Short times varied between 1.62 and 1.73.

I finally found the "sweet spot" with those MT DR's and got a 1.55 60'. The run was ruined when the tranny smacked the rev limiter rather than going into 2nd gear. Was later traced to being half a quart low on fluid.

We are thinking the car would have run a low 11.2x or even 11.1x that night if it wasn't for the tranny issue.

I have BMR LCA relo brackets and QA-1 rear shocks going on very soon. With those installed, the goal will be a 10.9x next trip to the tack. This is on MOTOR, no spray yet. I'm going to get the bugs worked out NA first, and then introduce nitrous into the equation.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:08 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Default Rear Suspension

I took the car over to Texas Motorsports last Saturday to do something about the rear suspension. The first and only time out at the track with my new combo, traction was uneven, so I ordered BMR relo brackets and QA-1 rear shocks.

Bill Buck is a great chassis guy, so I set up some time with him to come in and weld on the relo brackets and then together we threw the shocks on.
Attached Thumbnails The TWS Engine Swap Thread-before-relo-brackets-qa1-shocks-smaller.jpg   The TWS Engine Swap Thread-after-relo-brackets-shocks-smaller.jpg   The TWS Engine Swap Thread-bill-buck-action-smaller.jpg   The TWS Engine Swap Thread-bill-buck-prepping-relo-brackets-smaller.jpg   The TWS Engine Swap Thread-view-after-install-smaller.jpg  

Old 11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

with those #'s you should see high 10's Those are inpressive numbers for a a4 with a power robbing stall.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:11 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowmofo
with those #'s you should see high 10's Those are inpressive numbers for a a4 with a power robbing stall.

That's what I think/hope. The car is getting a cage next week, so it will get a little heavier. Chromoly, but still about 60#

I went to SAR Wednesday night but track prep absolutely sucked *** and I blew the tires off during each of my 4 attempts to make a pass.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, the track sucked majorly on Weds Night, I wasn't hooking either. Let me know when the cage is in and I'll lend a hand with the carpet install if you want.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Car is with Bill Buck for the next couple days getting the cage installed.

Ouija, I may need your help Friday night. It will be a thrash to get the new Speed Inc carpet in properly and get the window switch swapped in time for the shootout Saturday.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Any Time Thursday I can do, Sometime Friday until Sunday I'll be in a log cabin a wee bit South of New Braunfels on the river. (Your and my timing sucks over the last month, but I might be able to help EARLY Friday morning. Need to be finished by 9 or 10 AM at the latest.

If the car comes back sooner than Friday let me know.

Quick Reply: The TWS Engine Swap Thread