LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stupid 1LE elbow and airfoil! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005 | 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Default Stupid 1LE elbow and airfoil! Please help!

Ok, so I tried installing the 1LE elbow onto my car yesterday. I could not get the elbow to slide onto the TB for the life of me. I got it onto the MAF no problem, but it doesn't want to slide all the way on to the TB. I can get the left side of it on, but it doesn't want to completely stretch over to the right side. I also have the Moroso CAI if that makes any difference?

I hooked up the air sensor and opti-vent so that I could get the car back in the garage. I'm going to have my dad try and help me install the damn thing later today. Any tips to make it work?

[I just noticed how large that donkeydong thing really is when I took it out]

P.S. I installed my CompCams airfoil while I was at it. When I started the car, it just died on me. I tried again with the same results. I removed it for now. I think I read somewhere that I should make the air hole on the bottom if it bigger to keep the car from stalling?

Also, since I wasn't able to reconnect the elbow to the TB, I just left it where it was with the sensor and opti-vent tube attached just to get it in the garage. But I now have an SES light. Is that due to the elbow being disconnected? And will it go away once it's reconnected?
Old 09-07-2005 | 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

yeah the SES light is on from not having the intake tract hooked up to the throttle body.
Old 09-07-2005 | 08:52 AM
Launching!

What kind of airfoil is it? If it is the kind which attaches inside the T/body, you should not have any problems, as the elbow is the same dimensions as stock. If it is one of those huge air foils that sits outside the throttle body, in the elbow, it will not work very good, like what your explaining. I used to have a jet air foil, and it would never sit in the elbow, so I tossed it for a thunder racing/slp style one that attaches in the t/body. It has been over 2 years with that/1le elbow/stock maf/and a moroso cai, with no sealing problems at all.
Old 09-07-2005 | 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

The airfoil is a CompCam's one. It has a screw that goes through it to hold it onto the TB.
Old 09-07-2005 | 06:39 PM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

Its a bit tough to get it on there sometimes. Try heating the TB side of the elbow with a hairdryer or dipping just the end of it in hot water. Then as your sliding it onto the TB squeeze it from the top and bottom just a couple inches or so from the end of the elbow. Just keep at it, youll get it. Make sure its on all the way around the TB, you dont want ant leaks there.
Good luck
Old 09-07-2005 | 08:58 PM
Launching!

i have a vortech elbow and a bbk 58mm tb i have to use wd40 and alot of elbow grease to get the boot on the tb
but 1le elbow slides over a stock tb without issues usually just a little finagling
Old 09-07-2005 | 11:59 PM
Launching!

I don't have a 1le but when i had to put my stocker back on i just removed it from the maf so i could reach my hand inside of the elbow and push it around the throttle body. it worked great. then once it was on the throttle body, i put the maf and the rest of the intake back on.
Old 09-08-2005 | 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Put it on from the bottom up. Its a lot easier and should slip right on there.
Old 09-08-2005 | 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Update: So I got the elbow on with the help of a friend, what a pain in the ***. I completey removed the MAF to install the elbow, and then reconnected everything. But, the SES light is still on. I'm thinking the sensor that came with the elbow could be bad?

Could I just remove the sensor from the old elbow and install it onto the new one?
Old 09-08-2005 | 07:08 PM
Launching!

are you talking about the iat sensor?
if so yea just go to auto zone and pick up a new one they are about 20 bucks
Old 09-09-2005 | 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhhhh the days when the intake elbow was hard to get on.

Wait till you change spark plugs.

I tell you what, working on your LT1 will make you a great mechanic. I am 20x's better than i was years ago.
Old 09-09-2005 | 10:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
Update: So I got the elbow on with the help of a friend, what a pain in the ***. I completey removed the MAF to install the elbow, and then reconnected everything. But, the SES light is still on. I'm thinking the sensor that came with the elbow could be bad?

Could I just remove the sensor from the old elbow and install it onto the new one?
you didnt forget to plug the electrical connection into the maf did you?
Old 09-09-2005 | 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

I plugged everything back in [trust me, I hurt my thumb pretty good just disconnecting the connector on the maf. it's still purple under the nail].
Old 09-09-2005 | 05:30 PM
Teching In

hmmm. I would take it to autozone and find out what the code actually is, then you can be sure what the problem is.
Old 09-11-2005 | 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

The SES light needs to be cleared, it just won't go away by changing sensors.
Old 09-12-2005 | 04:06 AM
On The Tree

disconect the battery for 5 mins the ses light will turn off and if it turns back the ther is a problem
Old 09-12-2005 | 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, the SES light went away after driving it around for a little bit.

Quick Reply: Stupid 1LE elbow and airfoil! Please help!