LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hard time installing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard time installing

Well, my car is getting the coated LT pacesetter headers installed right now. I dropped the car off yesterday around 2:30 and he still has it. It's now 5:42!! He said that my car was the only one he has been working on all day. Wow, that sucks...He also said the Y-pipe is fitting right or something...Him and I talked about the price before he started working on the car. I told him another place said they would charge me 280 and he said it would be under that price. So, he can't change the price without consulting me first. If he does, I won't pay. Would all of you agree to that? Also, he said he wouldn't start working on it until he called the next day and told me what was going on. He never called and just started working on it. I had a friend with me yesterday and he heard him say, "no more than 280." So, do you guys have any idea why the Y-pipe wouldn't be working out? Also, how should I go about approaching him? It's his fault, he is the mechanic. He also said he would have loved to meet the guy who said he would charge me 280 for labor. (of course he says this after he has been working on the car all day)
Old 09-23-2005, 05:02 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that sucks on your end of the stick, hey at least its might only cost you 280, here in boise the cheapast ive heard for install is 600.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not going to pay more than 280, he said so.

I just got a call from him. He said the car isn't going to be done today, but he will go into work tomorrow to finish it. I will have my car tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:18 PM
hashtagBMW

Good luck on the car man, hopefully it comes out just the way you want it!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If he is a mechanic and its taking him 3 days to do headers on any car...Id find another mechanic. Im planning 6hrs or time to do my LT's next weekend without a lift and Im being generous. Lt's arent that bad of an install. Hold to your guns. Make him stand by his word. At least he is gonna get it done on a Saturday.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Tony
I bet you Matt could install your headers for around 250. He told me they are really not that bad to install. Give him a call, or ask whynot.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:37 PM
hashtagBMW

PMed you Andrew
Old 09-24-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, he told me it wasn't hard at all when I first got there. He said it would take him about 3 hours or so. It just didn't turn out that way.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Teching In

LT's on an LT-1 are a piece of cake to install...

... it's just getting the factory manifolds off is the real pain.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's why you should do it yourself I bet you anything you would have been able to do it. It's not as hard as you think. I would get a pro to do stuff like put in heads/cam and a torque converter and gears. That stuff I won't touch.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:33 PM
hashtagBMW

Does anyone have like a Instruction manual for installing LTs?? Im going to be doing this all on my own so if anyone has any info let me KNOW!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.97ta.com/flp_header.shtml
Old 09-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Find a new mechanic. I did mine in about 8 hours lying on my garage floor.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt11997
Find a new mechanic. I did mine in about 8 hours lying on my garage floor.
Damn tuff crowd here, i don't see why everyone is so quick to dog the guy cause it's taken 3 days, i did my headers on my 95 in 4hrs and my 97 took me 3 days now does that mean i don't know what im doing? not all cars are the same, some have issues removing the old stuff or installing the new stuff and some don't. To me that means "**** happens" those manifold studs are extremely easy to strip and break especially when rusted and on been for awhile. My point is that before you start recommending replacing a mechanic because "it's taking to long" find out whats the hold up, i would rather spend 3 days and perform a flawless install then spend 6hrs and have a bunch of problems in the long run.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 09-25-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Well, he told me it wasn't hard at all when I first got there. He said it would take him about 3 hours or so. It just didn't turn out that way.
well with that being said i don't think he knew what he was up against. All data online says the job to R&R manifolds are 6.3 hrs on LT1's. I don't know if you got the car back yet but wait to see how the finish install was worth it or not.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 09-25-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I still haven't gotten my car back yet. He didn't work on my car on thursday, he just looked at it and I left it there. Friday, he worked on it from morning to night. Saturday he worked on it and said that I needed to get other gaskets because the ones I had leaked a little bit. So, I'm taking those gaskets back and getting other ones. I didn't get the paper ones, but some material that is not supposed to burn. I originally got copper, but apparently that didn't work out. Anyway, but what really annoys me is that I should have got it back yesterday. After he called me and told me to drop off the gaskets at his house (around 1:00) I never heard another word from him. I called him around 5:25 no answer. I called his shop and cell phone. I called again around 6:00, no answer. I left 2 messages. On one of them I was just asking for an update and would appreciate if he could call me back. The other was more of annoyed message and that I didn't understand why couldn't give me a call, since he does have my car...So, hopefully I get it today because I have work and school tomorrow. I have 2 college classes in the morning and my g/f had 3, so I have to drive. If not, I'm stuck at school for a while....
Old 09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Damn tuff crowd here, i don't see why everyone is so quick to dog the guy cause it's taken 3 days, i did my headers on my 95 in 4hrs and my 97 took me 3 days now does that mean i don't know what im doing? not all cars are the same, some have issues removing the old stuff or installing the new stuff and some don't. To me that means "**** happens" those manifold studs are extremely easy to strip and break especially when rusted and on been for awhile. My point is that before you start recommending replacing a mechanic because "it's taking to long" find out whats the hold up, I would rather spend 3 days and perform a flawless install then spend 6hrs and have a bunch of problems in the long run.
I agree 100% I am just glad everyone here is perfect!

I have installed more sett's of headers then I can count. I had one set take as little as two hours and some take days. Most of the "Y" pipes that come in the kits don't fit for Jack and the rest will usually hit. I have got to where i usually hand build them one piece at a time when I can. they always fit and I am much happier.

Add to that some of the headers sold are just crap and even the good ones many time need the flanges flat sanded to seal good.

I would give the guy the benifit of the dought. Not every one is as perfect as the people here
Old 09-25-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you gonna get new plug wires? If you don't, make sure he doesn't put the wires right up against the primary tubing or else you'll be in for a nice misfire.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Well, I still haven't gotten my car back yet. He didn't work on my car on thursday, he just looked at it and I left it there. Friday, he worked on it from morning to night. Saturday he worked on it and said that I needed to get other gaskets because the ones I had leaked a little bit. So, I'm taking those gaskets back and getting other ones. I didn't get the paper ones, but some material that is not supposed to burn. I originally got copper, but apparently that didn't work out. Anyway, but what really annoys me is that I should have got it back yesterday. After he called me and told me to drop off the gaskets at his house (around 1:00) I never heard another word from him. I called him around 5:25 no answer. I called his shop and cell phone. I called again around 6:00, no answer. I left 2 messages. On one of them I was just asking for an update and would appreciate if he could call me back. The other was more of annoyed message and that I didn't understand why couldn't give me a call, since he does have my car...So, hopefully I get it today because I have work and school tomorrow. I have 2 college classes in the morning and my g/f had 3, so I have to drive. If not, I'm stuck at school for a while....
Well with that being said that seems like a reason to ditch the guy, his communication skills with the customer suck!! why don't you go by there and see whats up? i know how you gotta be feeling when i was younger i would just unleash my car to anyone that had tools to work on it and i would get screwed all the time, now i've learned and decided that i will do my own work either at home or at the dealership so i know whats going on with it at all times and it's gettin down right. Good luck man keep us updated.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:23 AM
hashtagBMW

I remember this one time, I was doing my Liscense test with my camaro and the OPti went out. SO i took it to this place, my mom was going to split the price of the labor with me. So anyway i take it here it takes em a week and 2 days to get her back out to me. Then when i get her and i am drivin home i hear this noise (exhasut leak but i didnt know what that was yet NEWBIE) i get all pissed of so i take the car back and it seems they broke a bolt on the pass. side manifold. My ? was why are you messing withthe manifold for and OPTI. So now performance wize i take it to one guy, if like genaral maintence come up i dont know what to do.

Quick Reply: Hard time installing