LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think my car blew up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is something different, than he is not telling you something. Taking to court isn't the route you want to take. If you sign a contract, you WILL lose. If this guy literally told you it's a timing chain cover, and a timing chain...you need to purchase the parts by yourself, and give them to the guy to be installed. Ask him for part numbers on the phone, call him up. Ask him the timing chain part number, and the timing chain cover part number, and if he doesn't know the numbers, or will not take the time to find them, tell him you don't want him working on the car, and that if it is the timing chain and the cover like he said, that you will get ones by yourself so he can put them in. There isn't something "different" when it comes to timing chains. The stock ones are fine. The mechanic even said that this rarely happens, so why replace it with something 80 dollars more?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't signed anything. So, I won't lose. I'm going to have the paper work and prices for the "actual" parts. If I am over charged, I'm not going to pay what I shouldn't be. (If it's like $40 I don't car, It has to be at least $80 or so) I told him I would get the parts and he said, "you won't get them anywhere cheaper and I was looking at the wrong thing." So, I will just wait until the car is done and get the part numbers and prices. If they don't match, I will question him and tell him I could have gotten the same parts for this amount of $$$ and I'm not going to pay more. I told him I wanted to get my own, but he didn't trust me and said I was getting something else. Well, this is the consequence. He wouldn't take me to court anyway. The reason why, is because he would know what the actual prices were and wouldn't want to be made a fool of. If I don't sign anything, I will be fine. Other than that, it's all "he said, she said." It will come down to what I was going to be charged for parts, compared to how much they actually are...
Old 10-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

I believe the timing chain is the problem. it matches your symptoms, 1. the loud pop under acceleration. 2 the thing kinda wants to start but wont (valves out of time with the crank). As for bent valves...... I dont think so. Chevy v8's have never been what is called an interfence fit engine. That means the valves at full open will not hit the top of the pistons at Top dead center. Timing chain yes, bent valves no. Just my opinion and I have built several engines in the day.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
We will see. I'm going to get the part number and all the parts that he got. I will go and get them priced at another place. I told the mechanic I would buy the parts and that I want to pay for the most reasonable price. He said I wouldn't be able to find it for any cheaper. So, when this is all done, I'm going to call up some places and ask for that part number and find out how much it is. If he has charged me a lot more, I'm going to tell him, that I'm paying the amount for the parts, "I could" have gotten them for.

$100 and $20 is a big difference. I called Advanced auto and they told me a timing chain cover was $14.99. I told the mechanic that as well. Like I said, he told me it was something different. When the car is done and I look over the price, they always leave the car out front with the keys in it. Regardless, I have another key. If he over charges me, I'll pay what needs to be payed. (full labor charges and parts) Any other BS or marked up prices I won't deal with. I'll give him the money I should be paying and take my car and leave. Take me to court...He'll lose. I'll keep the receipt and show I was over charged...
Well, heres a few issues. Now I am not trying to bust on you, but since you are not familar with working on cars you cannot reallly know when you are being overcharged or scammed for extra un-necessary parts. A timing cover as far as I am aware is NOT available at Advance auto parts...this is a dealer item only and GMpartsdirect.com lists it for about $70, which is much less than a dealer list price. A timing chain/gear set will run you about another $80 at the least. The GM part number stated earlier for $25 is JUST the chain, not the gears as well. You don't have the option of only paying the labor and whatever you could have gotten the parts for. Business's make money on parts too, thats just the nature of the business....alot of shops, including my fathers do this too. Some businesses charge more for labor if you supply the parts, because your kinda taking money out of there money by doing so. With that said, I don't think they can completely rape you on the parts markup, but they will make a few bucks.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it was like 350 for parts. Not sure though. Seems a little high.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you guys think that is too much? 350 for all the parts to a timing chain fix. (including the timing chain cover)
Old 10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you guys think that is too much? 350 for all the parts to a timing chain fix. (including the timing chain cover)
Thats probably not too far off man. I was curious as well, so I called some places. Most (around here) charge about $100-115 for a timing set, a timing cover unless used is about $90(new from local dealer), There are 3 seals on that cover that should be replaced...unsure of the cost, waterpump gaskets, timing cover gaskets, oil, coolant, and there may be a few other various things needed as well. IE: Serpentine belt may be excessively worn, etc. Those are all prices that were called about from auto store, there is quite possibly some percentage of mark up on these parts as well...like i said b4. It doesnt seem he is trying to rip you off, but also doesn't look like hes cutting you a great deal either.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I just found up that my valves are bent...So, it's going to cost me a crap load more money. I told the mechanic to stop working on it and I'm going to have my friend do the rest. He wants to take the heads off and charge me a lot more labor. I think I'm done with that. I sarcastically said I don't want to spend 1200 on a new timing chain and he said it would be a lot more than that. So, I'm not getting it done there. My friend said he knows a way you can adjust the valves without taking off the heads. So, I'm going to let him do it to save some money.

By the way, since the mechanic found out my valves were bent, does this mean he has put the timing chain on and the cover? So badically, everything is done except for the valves, or no? I was just curious, because I want to know how much I'm going to have to pay him.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your valves are bent you need to get new valves, not adjust them. Told you this guy was BS. Not your friend, the mechanic. It happens all the time. They just "find" things wrong with it and charge you a shitload. This guy wasn't worth the time.

Last edited by blind527; 10-12-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Launching!

Should have just listened to us. There's no way in hell he can know that the valves are bent without having taken the heads off and pulled the valves. Ask him for the broken timing chain and cover. I seriously doubt he will pony these up. Get your **** out NOW. You will probably have to wind up paying a couple hundred in parts. What you need to do is go down and actually LOOK at your car and see what all he has done thus far.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, i'm going to get my car out now. Does this mean he put the timing chain in already? I'm thinking I might have to pay what I should have already been charged...Or should I not, because the car isn't fixed?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Can't make that speculation without actually seeing the car, who knows what he's done.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I have someone I know that will help me fix my car. I just can't decide if it's better to have him do it, or the mechanic finish the job. I will save money going with the other person I know. He isn't a certified mechanic, but he has done this kind of work before. What do you guys suggest? I just don't want to have bigger problems if it's done wrong. Should I just leave it to professionals, or no?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 AM
Launching!

This guy you're using now isn't a professional, ditch him. Either take our advice or don't, I'm done repeating myself.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to go look at your car, and find out what has been done so far. It is a good idea to look at the parts that have already been changed, if that has happened. Find out how it has been figured that the valves are bent. If he hasn't finshed the car, and its just been taken apart....pay the man for the tow, and throw him $xx for taking it apart. Get all your stuff together from your car and take it somewhere else. To me it sounds like he may be trying to get money out of you, thats not right. I know when you said something about bent valves before it was a tad suspicious. I thought this mechanic was a friend of yours or something? Take a friend when you go down there to check out the car, preferable someone that is very mechanically inclined, and understands mechanics language. My next suggestion is don't get another crappy mechanic because you are trying to save money...that may get you in the same position that your in now. Get down there and get some info, and let us know what ya find out.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the car is all put back together and the timing chain is in, as well as the new timing chain cover. I have to pay him for the work he did. He finished everything he was supposed to. A friend of mine is going to finish off the car. The mechanic is going to charge way to much. I was thinking, since he has to take off the heads, should I get them ported, or do any other type of helpful modification while it's all apart? My friend told me that you don't need to take the heads off, he knows a trick to do it another way. Although, the mechanic said a pushrod was basically destroyed. So, my friend said he would just take the heads off. He has done this work before, even on his own car. So, I think I should be ok with him. Also, the mechanic that "was" working on my car is a professional. Which is why he charges so much and rips people off. Although, technically he is charging typical labor charges...That is just how much things like this cost. So, do you guys think I should do something with the heads? I have a friend that works at this head shop. He is the one that gives the prices. I'm trying to get a hold of him to see what he says.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While theyre off, might as well have them ported if you can afford it. As for changing valves without taking the heads off, I gotta know his trick. He must know some special kind of magic. Im just kidding. Im sure youre talking about telling if the valves are bent without taking the heads off becuase its totally possible.

Basically, what youre looking at is buying a new set of pushrods, how ever many valves you messed up, probably new valve guides for how ever many valves you bent depending on how bad theyre bent, and hopefully the valve(s) did hit the piston(s) hard enough to damage it/them too bad. Then theres the head, header, and intake manifold gaskets.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the car is all put back together and the timing chain is in, as well as the new timing chain cover. I have to pay him for the work he did. He finished everything he was supposed to. A friend of mine is going to finish off the car. The mechanic is going to charge way to much. I was thinking, since he has to take off the heads, should I get them ported, or do any other type of helpful modification while it's all apart? My friend told me that you don't need to take the heads off, he knows a trick to do it another way. Although, the mechanic said a pushrod was basically destroyed. So, my friend said he would just take the heads off. He has done this work before, even on his own car. So, I think I should be ok with him. Also, the mechanic that "was" working on my car is a professional. Which is why he charges so much and rips people off. Although, technically he is charging typical labor charges...That is just how much things like this cost. So, do you guys think I should do something with the heads? I have a friend that works at this head shop. He is the one that gives the prices. I'm trying to get a hold of him to see what he says.

DEF. get them ported if you have the money. But beware, you should also upgrade your valvetrain if you do a cam swap. You can get 1,300 for the LE2 package just the heads from Lloyd Elliot. You'll also need bigger injectors, a stall, 58 mm TB. If you want to take FULL advantage of the heads/cam *if you got the cam* I suggest upgrading A LOT of your stuff. Talk to Lloyd at eportworks.com and see what he would recommend for just the heads. Don't waste your money on a **** port job, have them done by a sponsor.

Quick Reply: I think my car blew up...