LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

delteq and arcing wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry delteq and arcing wires

i just changed my plug wires and plugs cause i figured it was my problem with the stumbling and all that stuff. i ended up finding 2 wires that were nearly burned in half. so i had a smile on my face thinking i would finally have it figured out. so i put some taylor spiro pros on and some delco rapidfire plugs and soon as the car gets warm its doing the same thing. and i can see wires arcing. they are brand new and none of them are burned. anywhere they touch each other or close to some metal they arc. even on the dang wire seperators. am i using the wrong kind of wires or something for the delteq? im bout to just say screw it all together.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your wires are still arcing could be shitty wires, never tried those always used their thundervolt wires. are you using the metal wire separators? try switching to the nylon ones if you are. also make sure the wires arent touching. that many volts flowing through a thin wire jumps will try to jump where ever it can. could also explain why your tubes are glowing. headers will usually glow from overly rich conditions but can also glow from extremely lean conditions.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
if your wires are still arcing could be shitty wires, never tried those always used their thundervolt wires. are you using the metal wire separators? try switching to the nylon ones if you are. also make sure the wires arent touching. that many volts flowing through a thin wire jumps will try to jump where ever it can. could also explain why your tubes are glowing. headers will usually glow from overly rich conditions but can also glow from extremely lean conditions.
yes i have metal ones and its acring on them...thanks for the info i just went n bought some different ones. im going to go out here and give it another try.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hope the metal separators is the only problem. it took me two weeks to find out my miss was an intermittent arcing on the primary header. definitely no fun.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
hope the metal separators is the only problem. it took me two weeks to find out my miss was an intermittent arcing on the primary header. definitely no fun.
whats that mean lol..and how did you go about finding it? im just lost i took my plugs back out and reset the gap to 35 and its still missing. i used some different seperators and i dont see fire jumping between wires anymore but something still isn't right. when im first taking off and when i get into o/d it sure enough acts an ***. spittin n sputterin and popping back thru the cai.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

I made some custom msd for my car. Do you have the valve cover mount or the radiator mount? I went with the valve cover because, to me going from the radiator was way too far of a distance (a lot of resistance).
Old 11-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Taylor wires are known to cause problems. I recently put some over the valve cover wires on my car from elite. I had a bad miss also, and about pulled my hair out trying to chase down the miss. Well, after it went to the shop, it turned out to be a couple of wires got crossed and went to the wrong terminals on the opti. I checked and rechecked the wire orderr, and still overlooked it. It happens that way when you've about had it. So go back and check your wire order, and recheck. Hell, have a friend check it also.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Launching!

it mostly starts acting up and stumbling when the car heats up. when you first start it up its fine but after its ran long enough to heat up its down hill from there
Old 11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

I just ordered the taylor over the valve cover setup, is it pretty good? I got the ones that mount on top of the valve cover. I'm on my like 5th set of wires and am tired of buying wires, so hopefully this will be my last set, i am doing it right this time.... hopefully
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
I just ordered the taylor over the valve cover setup, is it pretty good? I got the ones that mount on top of the valve cover. I'm on my like 5th set of wires and am tired of buying wires, so hopefully this will be my last set, i am doing it right this time.... hopefully

well if yours work out good let me know
Old 11-07-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BadAsZ
it mostly starts acting up and stumbling when the car heats up. when you first start it up its fine but after its ran long enough to heat up its down hill from there
Could be O2's then. O2 input is not used in engine management until the PCM switches from open to closed loop.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

I've also seen opti's break down after they heat up. How old is yours?

I can e-mail some one pics of my delteq set up/routing, I don't have a place to host them.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

The arching starts showing signs of stumbling, etc when the engine heats up because it comes out of enrichment mode after cold start up. Its probably always there, you just can't tell as much because hte car is running richer. Its the taylor wires. I just threw a set away that were arching out of the boots to the head. take a look under the hood with it running in the dark tonight, you'll see.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

so most taylor wires are bad? I bought the universal ones and will be putting them on this weekend. I guess i'll find out then. are they bad out of box or over time?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
so most taylor wires are bad? I bought the universal ones and will be putting them on this weekend. I guess i'll find out then. are they bad out of box or over time?
Not all of them, i've just heard a lot of trouble out of the 8mm ones. I had the 8mm ones one time also, and they went to hell in a year.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

yea those are what i got the 8mm universal fit. damn, well are there any other universal fit wires? since im doing the over the valve cover method i need them extra long
Old 11-08-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

MSD makes a cut to fit set. Haven't heard anything bad about MSD wires.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
I've also seen opti's break down after they heat up. How old is yours?

I can e-mail some one pics of my delteq set up/routing, I don't have a place to host them.
not that old but i only have a new opti sensor but its from auto zone so who knows??? i put it on bout a month ago cause i thought maybe it was the problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JasonK94Z
The arching starts showing signs of stumbling, etc when the engine heats up because it comes out of enrichment mode after cold start up. Its probably always there, you just can't tell as much because hte car is running richer. Its the taylor wires. I just threw a set away that were arching out of the boots to the head. take a look under the hood with it running in the dark tonight, you'll see.

yeah ive looked at it the past couple nights...i regapped my plugs to 35 and some of them still have that "glow"
Old 11-08-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

stick with the ac delco parts. Auto zone stuff is garbage

Quick Reply: delteq and arcing wires