LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 cam kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 cam kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT4-H...spagenameZWDVW

does this kit come with everything i will need to install the larger cam and with this cam what kind of power gains am i going to see will i need anything else wiht it so that nothing is hurt on my car is a stock rearend ok and well i guess thats about it

thanks and sorry if this sounds like a newbie question its because i am
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

well i am told that the LT4 hot cam is way way overated. get something like the CC305 or the CC306 (got to love the sound)
Old 11-25-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dragframe
well i am told that the LT4 hot cam is way way overated. get something like the CC305 or the CC306 (got to love the sound)
do u think you should really give anybody cam advice?? not being a total dick, just enough that maybe you realize that you shouldn't give someone info about something you don't understand.

yes that kit comes with pretty much everything you need. you will need a few gaskets to do the cam swap along with that kit. i don't see anything that says what year the cam is for. if it's a 95-97 cam then you will be fine, but if it was 93-94 then you'd need to get it machined to accept the opti and pull the dowel pin out to the correct length. that is assuming that you have a 96. if you have a 93-94 then it does not matter which LT1 year the cam is for but you will have to make sure the dowel pin is the correct length.

when doing a cam swap it's a good idea to replace or check other parts. you won't have a problem running the stock lifters unless you were going to have a problem already with the stock cam. you will want to check out your timing chain and may want to replace it while you're in there.

the hotcam is not a very big cam but makes excellent low and midrange torque. it is an amazing daily driver cam. the cc305 which was mentioned is almost identical to the hotcam. the cc306 is not. you can run it, but it will not match the hotcam's torque until around 5200 rpm. it can be daily driven but it does like quite a few supporting mods. to me it also requires a few more valvetrain upgrades than something like the hotcam but some people decide not to.

i have a hotcam in mine and have had numerous chances to pick up a cc306 but have passed because i just don't want to spin my car that high to really make it worth it. i drive my car every day and make enough torque, which is available anywhere in the rpm range, to cause massive traction problems so i'm about to step up to a 315 out back.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

ok.. not like im super knowledgeable or anyhting. I said it like i know it... need i repaeat the **** or what? here.. lemme qoute..

"well i am told that the LT4 hot cam is way way overated"

guess that was too much work to read. I just suggested two of the more popular cams.

EDIT: not trying to pick fights... but ur a dick
Old 11-25-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u made a suggestion based on nothing. it wasn't as bad as bad technical info because most people are going to at least research some before getting something like a cam. i just don't know why anyone would wanna give a suggestion on something they don't know anything about, especially when it's not asked for.

don't cry about it, just go learn about cams before posting your suggestions/info.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like roadrage said, it doen't specify what year it is for so you might have to have a few little things worked out. However the hotcam is a real good cam. Like roadrage said it make good lowend tourqe and its very very streetable.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just be careful as that kit is available from vendors for little over $500 so watch the price and consider the $30 shipping.

That said IMO you are nowhere near ready for a cam swap. The LT4 cam can and does make a lot of car quick BUT it is far too popular for what it delivers it is people such as yourself who have not done much research and ASSume it is the best thing going that feed this popularity. The CC306 mentioned is BIG like you will end up hating your car in a few months unless you are a hardcore gearhead big.

You need a lot of other parts to allow a cam to work right I did a cam early on in my mods and barely gained anything, but as I later added stall, gears and headers I dropped nearly 2 seconds from my times. YOU NEED AFTERMARKET PCM PROGRAMMING with ANY cam upgrade and it is a wonderful thing on even a stock car. By this I do not mean Hypercrap or Jet custom tuning is better and cheaper. Make sure you have headers, gears, stall if applicable, cold air intake before doing a cam and then do lots of reading before doing the cam. The ZZ3 cam I have in my car is mild enough the wife actually used it within the past week to take her Mom and sister shopping and to pick up Grandma you probably want more than that but less than the CC306 the HOT cam falls roughly in the middle of those and might be what you decide on but it is far too soon to do so now. Also be aware with that you will have to shift well over 6000rpms some guys go as high as 6500 not that that is any big peoblem for the LT1 just be aware, also the springs in that kit work but just barely they are really meant for use with the lighter LT4 valves.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dragframe
ok.. not like im super knowledgeable or anyhting. I said it like i know it... need i repaeat the **** or what? here.. lemme qoute..

"well i am told that the LT4 hot cam is way way overated"

guess that was too much work to read. I just suggested two of the more popular cams.

EDIT: not trying to pick fights... but ur a dick
jezus give the guy a break im looking at doing a hotcam as well and i have done a lot of research and yes the CC305 might give you a small power advantage in the upper rpms but i am getting the hotcam because of its low end torque which you need for driveability not only that but the hotcam kit comes with just about everything you need shipped to your door for under 600 bucks try doing that with the CC305 or 306 you'll spend 279.99 for the cam and then you need the springs, retainers, roller rockers, studs, etc etc and im willing to bet you will spend a lot more with that combo for little more gain
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe he knows that the hotcam is what he wants and just wants to make sure that this kit includes everything he needs. at least ask him before judging .

i think it's popularity is attributed to it's avaiability and price. if you're a dyno warrior or mostly track oriented person then it's not the cam for you. i would definitely say that gears or a stall are not neccessary for the hotcam. not everybody is going ***** out best ET at the track. my car is my daily driver first and track car second. the hotcam makes terrific torque immediately off idle and peaks soon enough that you don't need to spin it much over six. personally i'm not gonna spin past 6200, but with a big stick like the cc306 if you don't see 6500 then you're wasting your time.

i even ran my the hotcam with a 6 speed and 3.23 gears (i swapped a t56 into an auto) and it was great to drive. i'm not saying it's going to give u the best times, but it's still easily driven with those gears and a stick. i know that's something i wouldn't want to try with some of the bigger cams.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

the 306 is not for stocks heads n-e-way I hate how wnever some asks about the hotcam kit ppl always sugest the cc306. and say the hotcam sucks .
Old 11-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Just be careful as that kit is available from vendors for little over $500 so watch the price and consider the $30 shipping.

That said IMO you are nowhere near ready for a cam swap. The LT4 cam can and does make a lot of car quick BUT it is far too popular for what it delivers it is people such as yourself who have not done much research and ASSume it is the best thing going that feed this popularity. The CC306 mentioned is BIG like you will end up hating your car in a few months unless you are a hardcore gearhead big.

You need a lot of other parts to allow a cam to work right I did a cam early on in my mods and barely gained anything, but as I later added stall, gears and headers I dropped nearly 2 seconds from my times. YOU NEED AFTERMARKET PCM PROGRAMMING with ANY cam upgrade and it is a wonderful thing on even a stock car. By this I do not mean Hypercrap or Jet custom tuning is better and cheaper. Make sure you have headers, gears, stall if applicable, cold air intake before doing a cam and then do lots of reading before doing the cam. The ZZ3 cam I have in my car is mild enough the wife actually used it within the past week to take her Mom and sister shopping and to pick up Grandma you probably want more than that but less than the CC306 the HOT cam falls roughly in the middle of those and might be what you decide on but it is far too soon to do so now. Also be aware with that you will have to shift well over 6000rpms some guys go as high as 6500 not that that is any big peoblem for the LT1 just be aware, also the springs in that kit work but just barely they are really meant for use with the lighter LT4 valves.

dude when i said im a newbie i meant to the world of upgraded cams dont just ASSume i don't have LT headers and gears and a TC....because i do i have coated longtube headers connected to an ORY then through a loudmouth i also have 3.73 gear im putting in and a 3200 stall on the way to my house along wiht this i just ordered an LCA so maybe you should be the one that stops ASSuming
Old 11-25-2005, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

If YOU make a sig then we don't have to guess at where you are mod wise and as you are admitting you said you were a newbie YOU didn't elaborate. I did what I could with the little info given had people not answered due to the lack of details given be you would be bitching about the lack of response. Jumping straight to the HOT cam is classic newbie stuff because many don't even stop to think something else could be available.
With 3.73s and a 3200 stall you will definetely be setup for most cams.
To Roadrage I really don't see thins working well without the gears and stall I used a 10 degree smaller cam in a heavier car and it gained me little SOTP or at the track because I did it before the stall gears and headers. As I later added those parts I should have had first I dropped almost 2 seconds and am confident with just a little more track time could see a full 2 seconds as I have only made it out one night since the headers. I did my mods in the wrong order and do what I can to stop others from going down the same road. If we can't admit our ownmistakes in order to help others avoid them the forums are useless.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

If YOU make a sig then we don't have to guess at where you are mod wise and as you are admitting you said you were a newbie YOU didn't elaborate. I did what I could with the little info given had people not answered due to the lack of details given be you would be bitching about the lack of response. Jumping straight to the HOT cam is classic newbie stuff because many don't even stop to think something else could be available.
With 3.73s and a 3200 stall you will definetely be setup for most cams.
To Roadrage I really don't see thins working well without the gears and stall I used a 10 degree smaller cam in a heavier car and it gained me little SOTP or at the track because I did it before the stall gears and headers. As I later added those parts I should have had first I dropped almost 2 seconds and am confident with just a little more track time could see a full 2 seconds as I have only made it out one night since the headers. I did my mods in the wrong order and do what I can to stop others from going down the same road. If we can't admit our ownmistakes in order to help others avoid them the forums are useless.

what do you mean you did what you could do...you didnt answer my question the question was simply does the kit come with everything needed for install the person who answered the question was roadrage he said yes it comes with eveyrthing i need for install then u came in and started telling me not to do a cam swap yet i wasnt asking that i just wanted to know if the kit came wiht eveything i needed and the answer is yes so how about we drop this subject i got the answer i needed
Old 11-26-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well after reading the response that my cam was over rated i was about to rebut that statement but it looks like you guys already took care of him.

The lt4 kit will come with everything you need, and since the roller rockers are self aligning you wont need guideplates or hardened pushrods. You can upgrade the lifters if you want but i diddnt and im fine so far. I also went with a stock replacement timing chain. I dyno just shy of 350hp with my mods and hot cam. Im dropping the engien out of my car tommorow to rebuild the bottom end and possibly bore out to a 355 and have the heads ported out by my engine buuilder..but I'll be keeping my hotcam just to make ls1's and cc306 guys look bad.

Id reccomend you at least replace the timing chain while you are inside, and check the opti and water pump over while you are in there, but basiclly besides the gaskets for the timing cover and water pump the kit includes everything. make sure you have a good valve spring puller and you can check the tutorials over at www.shbox.com for some very useful info on doing the install. b.t.w. autozone sells the complete gasket mit i mentoned for like $8

Last edited by Bandit 1; 11-26-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm not really arguing with you and i've seen you post lots of good info on here. i have done the same. a stall is going to drop you tons of time whether it's stock cam or aftermarket and you can get a few tenths out of gears if you're good, but they're definitley not neccessary for a small cam such as the hotcam. you're just talking about optimizing the setup, but you talked like it was a neccessary mod. yes the optimum setup, at the track, would be a stall and gears. But those are not neccessary mods for the hotcam to be a perfectly good driver in any situation like many larger cams is all i was saying.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:44 AM
Teching In

I have the Hot Cam...it sounds good to me.

http://www.splitsecondracing.net/files/chris.mov
Old 11-26-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure where you guys are coming from saying the Hotcam makes great low and mid-range torque. I've dyno'd nearly all my power mods piece by piece. I've compared my dyno sheets, and the Hotcam makes IDENTICAL power and torque down low and in the middle as the stock cam, but powers up above 5,000 rpm where the stocker is running out of steam. 26 hp gain peak, a little over 30 hp gain over the stocker at redline. The Hotcam isn't overrated, it makes what it's spec'd out to make. Not a great cam, but it is a good bang for the buck upgrade for what you spend.

If you're not going to get the Hotcam, don't bother with the CC305 it's nearly identical to the Hotcam in terms of power, you're just spending $50 more. If that's the case, get something a hair bigger.

Bandit 1, does that $8 Autozone gasket kit come with intake gaskets, throttle body gaskets, timing cover seals and gaskets, and water pump gaskets? I hardly doubt you're going to get all that for $8. The intake gaskets alone are more than that.

Gonna need a couple different RTV's, and while you're in there, you might as well change out the valve stem seals. Don't forget the injector O-rings too. Never had good luck re-using the old ones. Even if they don't leak now, they will eventually.

Coolant, oil and filter will also add another $20 or so.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Compstall put some very good info out here.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RoAdRaGe912
u made a suggestion based on nothing. it wasn't as bad as bad technical info because most people are going to at least research some before getting something like a cam. i just don't know why anyone would wanna give a suggestion on something they don't know anything about, especially when it's not asked for.

don't cry about it, just go learn about cams before posting your suggestions/info.
The HotCam kit is overrated and not worth the money. I have EXPERIENCE with the cam and know what a turd it is. Before wasting money on such a **** poor cam, I would suggest talking with someone Like Lloyd Elliot or AI about one of their H/C packages.

Last edited by METALBEAST; 11-26-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

The hot cam is a decent choice it is a baby cam (It's not overrated, just that there are better cams) you can find a good used one for under $100. I have seen some people putting down good number with the GM847 on stock heads and it has the potential for some more with good heads. I was doing 12.20's on the hotcam with GTP heads. The truely overrated cam in my opinion is the 306.

With that said, it really depends on what you wan to do with the car. If you plan on doing heads the Hotcam will not be the best choice. Like stated earlier the LE packages are good as is the GTP heads and cam. If you are happy with the car as it is and only want a little more performance I'd go Hotcam (doesn't really require tuning) or the GM847 which will require tuning. If you are looking for max HP Id save for the following and do it all at once to save the labor and cost of retuning:

Heads- LE, GTP ,AI
Cam- GM847, LE, GTP, Joe O
1.6 rockers (comp pro mags), timing set, harden push rods, GM giude plates, springs, gaskets, oil, coolant

Again this is just my opinion. I have used or seen the above used and that is the basis for my opinion. Also like stated above call around and talk to some of the suppliers, let them know what your plans are for the car.

Last edited by 30thz; 11-26-2005 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: LT4 cam kit