LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Well 380 must be old archived news, because there are tons of cam/bolt on LS1's well over the 400rwhp level with stock heads. Do a search and check it out.....Some of the bigger cams with a FAST 90 will do wonders for the LS1. Check out "HALLZ" for example here in Sacramento. He did 434rwhp with an F13 and FAST 90. You can have a 434 rwhp cam only LS1 that still makes a great daily driver.
Um...OK...but what does this have to do with what I posted? I wasn't talking about LS1s
Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

I really like it when people say "oh..its just an lt1" Many an ls1 have had their feelings hurt bad right after saying that.

I have both. When my wifes car was stock wtih a few bolt ons..and my car was stock wtih a few bolt ons..we basically were neck and neck. Also many bolt on 6 speed ls1s went down to me at the track when I was also just bolt ons. Most of them had more mods than I did. Racing has alot to do with the driver..just get good enough to outdrive them and you will do better than most think an lt1 should be able to.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zigroid
youre not alone in feeling like you made a mistake. I feel like I did too. thats why my car is being torn apart and returned to stock then sold. I feel stupid when I tell someone what I have done to my car and then follow with "it ran a 12.6 @ 109." of course parts breakage, general bad luck, and changing my money spending priorities have made it so I wont ever hit my goal of 11s with the car.
If you were already running a 12.6, you could have gotten your car to the 11s cheaper than what it would cost to take it back to stock, buy an ls1, and get that car to the 11s.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I WILL NEVER SELL THIS CAR.. this car was a graduation present from my dad... and it means a lot to me... a vette is just domething to go fast in..this car means a lot to me and i will never sell it.
o ok then, I know what you mean, you could still save up a little more and have enough for the vette, I have a elcamino my dad and i built.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Um...OK...but what does this have to do with what I posted? I wasn't talking about LS1s
Woooops..............
Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Woooops..............

Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont waste money on your car if you want to buy a vette later, thats the mistake I did. I wanted a newer Z or TA but I had an LT1, so I kept dumping money into my LT1. my hindsight says I shouldve kept the firebird stock and saved up for a newer LS1 car. now Ive got nearly $8k that I wont ever see again that didnt get me anywhere.

if I were to use an LT1 still I wouldnt have gone the 383 route. I wouldve made a 355 with stock crank, forged rods and pistons. LE2 heads and cam, single plane intake converted by bret bauer. I figure with the money I spent now on the stroker crank and the ported LT1 intake I could put that towards the single plane conversion.
The 383 cost what, maybe300 bucks more than a 355? No real point in not having the extra cubes unless you just don't want'em or unless you are aiming for something class limited in racing. For a street car the extra torque always makes the car more fun to drive.

To the original poster, build what you like and not what everyone else thinks is cool. I'm not on my 5th LT1 for nothing. I always liked the LT1's sound better than any LS1 I had ever heard and that was my personal choice, not someone else's. Opinions are like azzholes and everyone has one so you should build or buy what you enjoy because YOU enjoy it. Trying to be the fastest car will end you up broke and dissappointed cause you never will be.

When I first started building the latest car I realized that I was building it around the wrong intentions so I stopped midstream a couple times during the build and just started building the car around ME and not any racing classes or anybody else's expectations. In the end you'll be happier since you are the one that gets the enjoyment out of the car.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

FWIW, I have raced my friend's 00 Z28 many times. He has a lid/free ramair mod, and an SLP loudmouth. At the time, I just had a Hooker catback, LTs, CAI, and free mods, gears which didn't help, and we would be dead even from 40-100 over and over and over again. He had a gearing advantage too (3.23 as opposed to my 3.73s).
Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok everybody likes 1/4 this and 1/4 that .....what about top speed!!!!!!!! or on a race track( not a strat one!!)
Old 12-13-2005, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

well i usualy just run from 20-110 or so. then i shut it down... hell that aint even most of the time.... 85 i usualy shut it off (intersate is the only place i open up)... I am normaly on the street and i would like to keep my driving record clean (like it is now).

Im thinking you guys help me decide on the best heads and cam i can get for $2000-2200 and then i will finance a bike. The bike should be paid off before next summer then i will start putting a TON of money away for the vette.. .that way i can pay cash for as much of it as i can.

I need to buy something like a bike anyways to build some credit.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I stoped reading this tread b/c it was redundant.

I have a lt1, more mods than I have listed, but not too much, still all NA and no juice, and will line up with any ls1. May not beat them, but will line up. In the short time ive had my car, ive raced a few ls1's, beat a few, lost to 1, he had a huge cam ( could tell from the cut out lol ) and he toasted me. but he had a auto, so atleast I can still feel manly lol..

Stock for stock. ls1
Modded For Modded. Who ever has the most money.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dragframe
seriously.
I bought a LT1.

And after hearing people talk about the lt1 like it cant beat the ls1 for ****, i feel like i should up and sell my car.

Personaly i think trick flow heads, intake ported to match heads, and a matching cam i could eat an LS1. The car would then be ON PAR with a ls1.

THe ls1 has a few advantages.... these include lighter (aluminum), bigger cam, really good flowing ******* heads.

So if i even the playing field out will i fell better bout my car or in the end, am i still wasting my time on this car?

I do have a full motor build planed... but this summer i want to go tear up a lil before i really dig into the motor. So heads cam and ported intake with tune is the plan. Will the LS1s still bother me?

My Friend... if you built an LT1 that had a 7-8K redline... who do you think would touch you? THat LS1 vs. LT1 argument is only valid stock for stock... once you tear apart a motor it's anybodies call.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you were already running a 12.6, you could have gotten your car to the 11s cheaper than what it would cost to take it back to stock, buy an ls1, and get that car to the 11s.
yeah but where would I go after 11s? the setup wouldnt go 10s. I would have to make alot of changes to get there which would be even more money. I also want a manual car, after riding in a 6 speed 94 Z28 I completely changed my mind on manuals. it seemed to pull stronger with just minor bolt ons than my car, more fun to drive. it would be expensive to swap a manual into my car, its just easier to sell it and buy a 6 speed car. if im going to buy another car I might as well get an LS1 car.

Ive tried to keep up with 2 bolt on LS1 Z28s racing with my bolt on LT1. I got annihilated. I also think I had a weak car. you guys keeping up with LS1s similarly modded, you guys probably have strong running cars. I had a factory dog. 14.8 @ 93 bone stock. only hit 13.8 @ 102 with headers, catback, CAI, gears, tune. I took good care of the car too. After being let down soooo many times Im just tired of my car and ready to start new.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91Z28
SB2.2? Nothing will compare to that, I wish I had that kind of money! Bad *** ******* car!
Thank you. I hope you all realize I am not trying to boast, just prove a point. The SB2.2 is a bad mfer of a head. My motor is still an LT1 downstairs. Power is in the heads.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

yeah but where would I go after 11s? the setup wouldnt go 10s. I would have to make alot of changes to get there which would be even more money. I also want a manual car, after riding in a 6 speed 94 Z28 I completely changed my mind on manuals. it seemed to pull stronger with just minor bolt ons than my car, more fun to drive. it would be expensive to swap a manual into my car, its just easier to sell it and buy a 6 speed car. if im going to buy another car I might as well get an LS1 car.

Ive tried to keep up with 2 bolt on LS1 Z28s racing with my bolt on LT1. I got annihilated. I also think I had a weak car. you guys keeping up with LS1s similarly modded, you guys probably have strong running cars. I had a factory dog. 14.8 @ 93 bone stock. only hit 13.8 @ 102 with headers, catback, CAI, gears, tune. I took good care of the car too. After being let down soooo many times Im just tired of my car and ready to start new.
Yeah, LT1's are junk. You should just give yours to me.

Dave<--the junk collector

Seriously now. Going fast costs money. Nine times out of ten an LT1 will do it for less. Stop crying and keep modding. My 95 car ran 14.6 with an intake and custom catback at sea level so don't give me that "factory dog" BS either. If you don't want your car then sell it. But an LS1 isn't gonna solve you problem. There is at least one STOCK SHORTBLOCK LT1 in the 9's but it isn't cheap. It just depends on how much money you have and how fast you wanna go. The good ol' LT1 can get you there.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

it seemed to pull stronger with just minor bolt ons than my car, more fun to drive.
It might be more fun to drive, but I disagree that M6 cars "pull stronger." Probably whoever drove it just kept the rpms higher than other people. A stall + tuning could have achieved the same result on an auto.

you guys probably have strong running cars. I had a factory dog. 14.8 @ 93 bone stock. only hit 13.8 @ 102 with headers, catback, CAI, gears, tune. I took good care of the car too. After being let down soooo many times Im just tired of my car and ready to start new.
Hmm, yeah that's not too good. I know someone that went 13.9 with just catback and CAI.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by infinitebird
It might be more fun to drive, but I disagree that M6 cars "pull stronger." Probably whoever drove it just kept the rpms higher than other people. A stall + tuning could have achieved the same result on an auto.

Hmm, yeah that's not too good. I know someone that went 13.9 with just catback and CAI.

you guys probably have strong running cars. I had a factory dog. 14.8 @ 93 bone stock. only hit 13.8 @ 102 with headers, catback, CAI, gears, tune.
Damn zigroid...I feel better about my 97 now. Thanks for that.

(and the general consensus is that mines a weak one too. heh)

Last edited by SlowBlueFormula; 12-13-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said LT1s are junk, I said the LS1 is a better engine to start with.

MY OWN LT1 is junk, and im not crying, just saying what ive gone through with mine. you want me to cry? heres my best shot: where should I start? Hmmm, well It gets about 7-8 mpg. 10 with alot of highway driving. the POS leaks oil all over, which we just built the engine with all new gaskets! when I go to my friends houses I have to bring a piece of cardboard along to slide under the car so it doesnt leave a nice oil slick in their driveway. Ive tightened all the oil pan bolts, timing cover bolts. Still leaks. it only pulls 6 inches of vacuum at idle and the cam isnt THAT big. there are NO vacuum leaks, we've looked for them. hoses leak, sensors fail left and right. the $500 torque converter just self destructed and took out my $1000 rebuilt tranny. its a never ending cycle of failing parts. I'm so sick and tired of it. It IS the car. I have a 1968 bonneville that was my first car (read: got the **** beat out of it) and it never gave me any problems. never left me sat stranded somewhere. my firebird has left me sit at least 3 different occasions. and when my firebird went down most recently for the last time, guess what car I fall back to once again? my old bonneville. maybe I should work with that. As of now im done with the firebird, its getting returned to stock and sold. I hope I never see it again after I sell it too.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 PM
Launching!

If thats the case, I'll trade ya my stock 16" wheels for the TT2s.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Launching!

I never said LT1s are junk, I said the LS1 is a better engine to start with.

MY OWN LT1 is junk, and im not crying, just saying what ive gone through with mine. you want me to cry? heres my best shot: where should I start? Hmmm, well It gets about 7-8 mpg. 10 with alot of highway driving. the POS leaks oil all over, which we just built the engine with all new gaskets! when I go to my friends houses I have to bring a piece of cardboard along to slide under the car so it doesnt leave a nice oil slick in their driveway. Ive tightened all the oil pan bolts, timing cover bolts. Still leaks. it only pulls 6 inches of vacuum at idle and the cam isnt THAT big. there are NO vacuum leaks, we've looked for them. hoses leak, sensors fail left and right. the $500 torque converter just self destructed and took out my $1000 rebuilt tranny. its a never ending cycle of failing parts. I'm so sick and tired of it. It IS the car. I have a 1968 bonneville that was my first car (read: got the **** beat out of it) and it never gave me any problems. never left me sat stranded somewhere. my firebird has left me sit at least 3 different occasions. and when my firebird went down most recently for the last time, guess what car I fall back to once again? my old bonneville. maybe I should work with that. As of now im done with the firebird, its getting returned to stock and sold. I hope I never see it again after I sell it too.

Go get an LS1 crybaby... there's no bad cars, just crappy mechanics.

Quick Reply: This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake