This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake

seriously.
I bought a LT1.

And after hearing people talk about the lt1 like it cant beat the ls1 for ****, i feel like i should up and sell my car.

Personaly i think trick flow heads, intake ported to match heads, and a matching cam i could eat an LS1. The car would then be ON PAR with a ls1.

THe ls1 has a few advantages.... these include lighter (aluminum), bigger cam, really good flowing ******* heads.

So if i even the playing field out will i fell better bout my car or in the end, am i still wasting my time on this car?

I do have a full motor build planed... but this summer i want to go tear up a lil before i really dig into the motor. So heads cam and ported intake with tune is the plan. Will the LS1s still bother me?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good heads & cam with LT headers and good exhaust should get you to a streetable 430HP. You may need bigger injectors too. That combo should eat stock and light to medium mod LS1's, with the right traction and driver.

Jim

Last edited by DeltaT; 12-14-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude don't let the forums become your only souce of information. There are some fast azz lt1 cars out there that give alot of LS1's hell. I have seen it several times. I mean regaurdless there will always be someone faster then you. Weather it be a chevy, a ford, or buick or what ever man. But if you build your LT1 right you will have your self a fast azz car period. But there will always be someone faster.

For the most part most of the lt1's on this forum are bolt on cars, so that's why you see so many of them getting spanked on by some modified LS1's etc. But there are some fast azz LT1 cars on this forum, as well as out side of this forum.

Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 02:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Good heads & cam with LT headers and good exhaust should get you to a streetable 430HP. You may need bigger injectors too. That combo should eat stock and light to medium mod LS1's, with the right traction and drive.

Jim

suggestions on cam? im about power.. so whatever makes the most.. lol!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Resident

thats funny that this topic came up o just raced a ls1 2 hours ago... i hate ls1s the lt1 has a lower torque curve so when you race them you think that your gonna win and then they blow past you .but I prefer a lt1 to an ls1 anyday they sound better and look better (engine and body)imo.and i prefer that i dont see them as much. like the other guys said with the money anything can be fast hell ive got friends with civics that will smoke me .never raced them though couldent fathem gettin beatin by a 4 banger.its all a dollars and cents game.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Just build up ur LT1 man, they are fast as crap stock just make it beastier. Like someone said, someone will always be faster. I prefer LT1's over LS1's anyday so if you love your car then go for it an dmake it faaaaaast
Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

There is a lot of LS1 is God nutswinging that is for sure. But just look at the times people in this section are running with just a few mods. Shon Herron ran as well if not better than SEVERAL of the big cammed LS1s that I have seen run at SDR (which is where he ran his best time I think). He still has the stock H/C.

A nice H/C setup will beat most cammed full bolton LS1s out there. Hell, I routinely beat full bolton LS1 M6s in my Vette when I had it. Just had an LT4 Hot cam AND I was running the stock tires and 2.59 gears.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not many LS1's can beat my poor old LT1.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah dont listen to those people. I love my LT1 and wouldn't trade it for a LS1 for anything. LT1's can be just as fast as a LS1. Its all about the amount of money you can spend.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:30 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an LS1 car also. They are, on average, faster in stock form. I still like my two LT1 cars also. Both are decent engines. I would not let other people bother me. If you like the car, ignore them.

Good luck, Ed
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dragframe
seriously.

Personaly i think trick flow heads, intake ported to match heads, and a matching cam i could eat an LS1. The car would then be ON PAR with a ls1.

An Lt1 will beat a stock ls1 with just full bolt ons... ur thinking is skewed if u think u need to dive into the motor to beat an ls1........ but if u are thinking about in terms of drivablilty i have personally seen an lt1 car with a hotcam, LT's, catback, CAI, go mid 12's......... it's all about the direction you want to go and how much tuning you want done
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

seriously.
A bolt on LT1 car will be on par with a stock LS1.

Any kind of head/cam work and it will easily be faster than the LS1 (unless they have the same).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Browse this forum and run some searches. You aren't too far behind a stock LS1.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

suggestions on cam? im about power.. so whatever makes the most.. lol!
If that's the case, then yes, you'd probably be better off with the LS1, if you spend more getting the LT1 to your goal than it would have taken to get the LS1 there.

Now, if you are staying with the LT1 because it sounds meaner than hell and because that low end power is so fun on the street, than you have the right car.

I'll admit, I miss the sound of my LT1 and the throw-your-head-back low-end response, and the operation of the cable driven clutch.

I'm hoping the QTP headers and 4.10 gears will bring back both of those things!

"No way dude...i saw an LS1 fight godzilla and the LS1 beat godzilla and it looked in the air and was like what do you think of that god? And god was like bring it bitch, so they fought and the LS1 beat god and now the LS1 is god because its the greatest thing ever"
I was there. This is really how it really went down.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not afraid to line this car up next to any N/A LS1 car now. It is amazing what the old LT1 will do....
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

its cheaper to mod a LT1 so dont worry. 700-1000 bucks shuld get you to ls1 performance
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

seriously.
I bought a LT1.

And after hearing people talk about the lt1 like it cant beat the ls1 for ****, i feel like i should up and sell my car.

THe ls1 has a few advantages.... these include lighter (aluminum), bigger cam, really good flowing ******* heads.

So if i even the playing field out will i fell better bout my car or in the end, am i still wasting my time on this car?

I do have a full motor build planed... but this summer i want to go tear up a lil before i really dig into the motor. So heads cam and ported intake with tune is the plan. Will the LS1s still bother me?
Its not fucken true at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its like saying all imports are slow stero type thats just what the LS1 guys like to say about lt1s

How is it slow? **** lt1s run high/mid 13s stock and LS1s are in the low 13s, I dont see how thats slow at all. And its over exagerated how much faster LS1 are. You need to drive one, I have a stock Lt1 and drove my buddys car and it didnt feel to much faster. I have no idea were people get this BS from etc

Anyways people like to compare full blown racing built LS1s to LT1s, But you know what is always forgotten? The fact if you convert the Heads on a LT1 is going to make it a beast of a motor. LS1 guys keep forget this.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, go find ourself a LS1 to race, you will c that it isn't too hard to beat them stock v. stock if you have a decently maintained car... we just lack the top end ... but for some reason, i always pull hardest up top when racing my friend's modded stangs...

but yeah, i think you are looking for a car that hasn't lost it's streetability, but still something to be scared off. so, go with longtubes back exhaust, ( or rig one up yourself like me and put it through a cutout after y-pipe) that should put you at the LS1's doors, then i would port polish intake/throttle body ... ( or take a dremel to it like me ) and if it's not a ram air, then get a cold air intake , and 160 degree thermostat (to keep the car cooler during the hot summer days and such) and a small 100 shot of nitrous should do it... ( LT1s are VERY capable of handeling spray, and responds VERY well to it )
Old 12-12-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

..........Nothing Beats the LS1..........
Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A stock LS1 will chop a stock LT1's head slam damn off. No doubt about that.

If both cars have full bolt ons, same result. In most cases, full bolt ons will bring an LT1 to about the same performance as a stock LS1.

If both cars have full bolt ons and a cam, the LS1 still wins, but it may not be as ugly as if both cars were stock. The LS1 still has, on average, a 30 to 50 rwhp edge when you're talking cammed cars.

The game starts to even up a bit when ported heads are thrown into the mix. The LS1 still may have a slight (10-20 rwhp average) edge, but with the amount of R&D some people have put into LT1 heads recently (the names Advanced Induction, Lloyd Elliott, Futural, and Joe Overton come to mind), that edge has shrunk a whole lot from what it was 2-3 years ago. It pretty much comes down to the fact that its pretty easy to trap 120-ish in the quarter with either car with a full heads/cam/tune/bolt on setup. In this type of situation, either car can win, depending on the individual cars and drivers, its very very close to a tossup, but perhaps not quite.

Of course, when you are talking strokers, forced induction, lots of nitrous, and other high effort, cubic money builds, the playing field is pretty level then because you're just not playing with lots of stock parts and the limitations they imply anymore.

A big scene has been made in the LS1 crowd about who can go faster with "just bolt ons" or "just a cam", etc. These types of situations have resulted in many LS1 guys putting a ton of effort in setting up thier cars very well to go very quick with a minimum of powertrain mods, which is why you see some really quick "bolt on" and "cam only" ETs posted by the LS1 guys. That kind of thing just never seemed to catch on with the LT1 crowd.

Thats just the way I see it I guess...

Quick Reply: This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake