LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally a 93-97 to 98-2002 front-end conversion tutoral

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation UPDATED WITH NEW PICS 10/06 Finally a 93-97 to 98-2002 front-end conversion tutoral

Ok guys I’m going to give you a very simple and brief tutorial on how to do a front end conversion. This is my first tutorial so take it easy on me guys I’m just try to share a little knowledge…. The model used the conversion is a 1994 camaro z-28. The conversion is very simple and much easer then expected. It’s pretty much all screws/bolts and plastic rivets. 70 % of the bolts were 10mm’s, 20% of them were 13mm’s and about 10% of them were 7 and 8mm (mostly under the car in the weather guard). Two people can knock a front end conversion out is under 4 hours easy. Things were very easy for me because I had a donor car and I had a chance to see exactly where the brackets went... One thing you have to understand is once you strip the cars down to the frame they are the same car even down to the screw holes... You don’t need to do any drilling or fabricating of any parts what so ever as long as you have all of the main parts and brackets even the lights use the same plugs. There are 2 steps that I did not get into details on that are self explanatory and simple (steps 1 and 2). If you pay attention when you remove parts from the car the information in the tutorial is more then enough information you need to complete the conversion.

The 1st step is removing the hood. (take your time and make sure you don’t damage your windshield trust me I did this before and taking you time can save you a couple hundred dollars)

2nd step is to remove the bolts and brackets from the weather guard and all of the black plastic on the bottom of the car. Don’t for get the long piece of plastic right below the radiator there are 3 white plastic bolts at the top of it that you can knock out from the inside. ( these 3 bolts are strong enough to hold the whole front clip on by them self… they had us baffled for about 15 mins trying to think of what else could be holding the nose on.)

3rd step begin to remove the fenders by removing the bolts on the top of the fender under the hood.

4th step Then make sure you open the door and get the bolt behind side rear view mirror as in exp 1. I’m sure it was a 10mm and you might want to use an extension to. then get the two bolts on the bottom of the fender behind the tire. Right next to the spot where your floor jack goes. Once you do that remove to remove all of the screws/plastic bolts in the wheel well. Now you have to stick your hand under the bumper and unscrew the screws on the wing bracket as seen in Exp 2. (this is why you have to remove all of the black weather guard plastic from the bottom of the car.) After that there is another bolt to remove inside the fender behind the wheel well as seen in exp 3.

5th step the front nose is very easy make sure you remove all of the bolts on the top and behind the headlights...

at this time make sure you unplug all of the lights and move them to a safe place...

6th step there are 3 main brackets that you need to complete the conversions. I don’t know the correct name so of them so I’m posting the pictures below...

make sure you have 2 of each brackets (for both sides)

7th step now the confusing part is the 93-97 from clips only use on bracket to line up the fender and hold the front bumper cover in place where the 98-02 uses 2.

8th step Once you remove the fender you may find out like I did that your car previously had some front end damage with other owners. Lucy alee its was not serous enough to prevent me from doing this conversion.

once you strip everything down your fenders should look like this.
after that you remove the 3 bolts holding on the bumper on each side (13 mm)

9th step then install bracket 1 and bracket 2 as seen below... make sure you do not for get the washer bracket the is shaped just like bracket 2 but is installed last once the fender and bumper cover is installed.

once installed they should look like this...

at this time you should install the head light bracket. As seen below

Once you do that install your fenders and front bumper cover (make sure you line them up properly) the same way you took off your old fenders and bumper cover. . Then plug up your fog lights and amber signal lights and test them.

Then install head lights and hood... and your all done...

Sorry about all the camaro club branding I’m going to post this tutorial on our site in the near future... I hope this has helped you out …

Last edited by SixReasons; 10-10-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

if you have any questions.. feel free to ask. . . .
Old 01-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Teching In

cool!

not bad at all

but personally i would be caught doing a 98 to 97 conversion lol
Old 01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!

I did the same conversion but a 96 formula to a new Trans Am.
Pretty simple.
Though I bought those 2 brackets you show in the pic that go to the fenders, I never needed them. Everything worked fine without them. There is a braket you will need from the GM house. It bolts the frame to the Bumper (top center). I dunno if it's different for the Firebirds or not but I did need that piece. I ran about $30 from the GM house.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Great write-up..
Old 01-26-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the first up graded front i seen on a camaro...........nice!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

That is most excellent, great job and nice write up to compliment the pictures.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are the man, great write up been patiently waiting for someone to do this, i cant wait to get mine done now, thanks man
Old 01-26-2006, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Great write up thanks, always cool to see people push the envelope with these cars. Man that sure looks like a lot of work but I guess for an LT person wanting the LS front clip look thats cool. Personally I think the LT front clip camaros, especially 97SS with the LS style interior and rear quarter panels take the show, can't get into the catfish LS look but thats just me.

Would be nice to see someone come up with a "how-to" LS to LT eng swap, is that next on your agenda for your car?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great writeup, I'm sure there are quite a few people who have been waiting for a good writeup in plain english like this one.

I've always liked the way the 93-97's front looks, I like the LS1 front too, but I wouldn't do a conversion based on the difference. Not trying to take away from your writeup, just stating my opinion on our LT1 cars.

Keep up the good work and you could make a name for yourself in tutorial writing on this board. There are too many people like Me who just wait around for one, instead of doing it and telling of the adventure.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:53 AM
On The Tree

Nice work. Ive seen a lot of cars converted but never had something to go off of to see what all goes into it
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Launching!

thanks!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Excellent write up!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

excellent tutorial def sticky material!!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

i posted the part numbers for you all!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Default Nice

Nice conversion that will help me do mine, but one question how much did the whole project cost???
Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Peco
Nice conversion that will help me do mine, but one question how much did the whole project cost???
i had a friend who was hit by a druck from the back and his ins. company paid him off and sold the car to a junk yard and i got the compete front clip for a hell of a deal around $500 ( i took it off my selth though) and thats all i paid..
Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Any Tips On Aligning Up The Pieces I Hear Its A Pain In The A** To Get Them Lined Up Right.. Is There A Easy Way ??? Just Wondering Before I Jump Into This Project....
Old 01-30-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah same on that last post...heard the same thing its a pain to line up...

Quick Reply: Finally a 93-97 to 98-2002 front-end conversion tutoral