LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback?

I was just curious about something. I have a 94 Z28 with LT headers and the matching Y-pipe. Should I get some type of catback to go with it? I have a flowmaster muffler which gives me some back pressure. I'm pretty sure after the Y-pipe, it connects to the stock pipe all the way to the back into an 80 series flowmaster. That pipe really isn't that small. I think it's 2 and 1/2. The Y-pipe is 3. Will I notice any gain putting a catback on it, or will it just be a waste and my car is fine the way it is?

I personally thought it wouldn't make a difference, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? The car sounds pretty free flowing the way it is.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

i personally would because you will get more hp out of it with a 3 inch catback.....if you want cheap, throw in a cut-out.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Launching!

yeah I agree. I am doing one of two things on mine. I am doing either a full true duels chambered which I am unsure of since I live in Michigan and our roads suck. So I will probably go with an electric cut-out. listen to some clips www.ls1sounds.com will tell it how it is. You may seem to be a waste of time listening to cars on the net for hours but its the research you need to do if you want to find that one badass sound that fits you. I personally want something that girls will say "holly **** you drive a race car to college everyday!" Thats me but it might not be you.

So basically long tubes and off road y-pipe manditory.

But cat-back is a sciences and personal preference. Go with your gut on this one. I made too many mistakes on choosing cat-backs for my last cars, which were imports. Now imports are hard to make sound good. So at least if you **** up picking at cat-back on this car it will still sound kinda badass.

As far as power another 1/4" can't hurt. I think stock is 2 3/4. Thats my best guess because I wouldn't know, I droped the stock exhaust the day i bought my 96 formula.

Research

and

then pick a good one

my only suggestion is if you do a cam get some chambers.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want to dish out the money for a catback then just get a cutout and open it when you want to. If you have the money then you should just get the whole catback. The stock pipe is 2.75".
Old 01-30-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would certainly get a catback. There is power to be made by swapping out the stock I pipe for a larger pipe even tho its only a 1/4". Besides that your Flowmaster is probably stealing at least a few ponies from you as well. If you are looking for a good catback at a reasonable price the Hooker or magnaflow really cant be beat. Both are nice, the hooker is steel and the Magnaflow is stainless steel. With LT's/ORY you car will sound much better with them over the flowmaster as well.

A cutout is also another very good option if you do like the sound of the flowmaster, but want the extra ponies at the track. However if you are look for more power on the street think about the electric cutouts over the manual ones....makes opening and closing much easier. And you could keep them open on the city streets, but close it up for highway cruising.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have LT's and the matching Y-pipe. All I really need to replace is the stock 2.75 pipe going to the flowmaster. Couldn't I just make it a 3inch pipe or something? I think the flowmaster is good for some back pressure. The car ran an 8.4 in the 1/8 and I don't want to make my time any worse. Honestly, If I replaced that pipe with something better and a different muffler what kind of numbers would I see. It's an A4 with just the LT's and intake that puts down 284Rwhp.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
I already have LT's and the matching Y-pipe. All I really need to replace is the stock 2.75 pipe going to the flowmaster. Couldn't I just make it a 3inch pipe or something? I think the flowmaster is good for some back pressure. The car ran an 8.4 in the 1/8 and I don't want to make my time any worse. Honestly, If I replaced that pipe with something better and a different muffler what kind of numbers would I see. It's an A4 with just the LT's and intake that puts down 284Rwhp.
Backpressure is not a good thing, despite what people think. You will not lose any HP by switching to a good catback, or even 3" pipe with the flowmaster. The flowmaster is most likely killing more HP then the smaller diameter pipe. Flowmasters just don't flow well. Toss in the fact that its a crossflow muffler which flows less anyways. You would probably gain at least a few ponies even if you kept the smaller I pipe, and switched to a conventional high flow muffler like a Magnaflow or Dynomax ultraflow with a single hidden outlet. A better flowing muffler or catback will not slow you down at all.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Teching In

i have a 96 ta w/6-speed. my personal choice of what i did was LT headers 3" off road y pipe, and a slp loudmouth catback. basically its 3" mandrel straight pipe. course this all depends where you live(emissions) and how friendly you are with the local cops. EXTREMELY LOUD! as far as hp and torque #'s go i currently have 300hp 330tq with that exhaust and 117000 miles on the ticker.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah get a catback. No doubt. Check the best catback thread to check out some catbacks.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, basically I have the hard part taken care of. LT's and the matching Y-pipe. So, whhat do you guys suggest I do from here? Should I replace the stock I pipe with a bigger pipe (3inch) and have it go into a dynomax? Would that give me a noticable gain?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on your power level whether it will give you more power. The stock I pipe goes down to 2.5 into the muffler which is the problem. I have stock I pipe and flowmaster also and put down 320 rwhp 320 rwtq then added a cutout and put down 346 rwhp 338 rwtq.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you should do is this:

Get a good catback system, you can even find a used one on here like I did. I bought a used Random Tech cat back and it sounds good. You can probably find a good new/used catback for a decent amount of cash if you look hard enough. Also, get a cutout. You will not regret it. It's going to be loud, but it's def. a hell of a lot better. A manual cutout should be like 30 dollars.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Basically a cutout is going to give me more power than anything, right? I would kind of like the power at all times, but not have the car insanely loud. (I think a cutout would be very loud)

Why couldn't I just make the 2.5 I pipe a 3 inch I pipe, get a different muffler and call it a day? If I did something like that, would I need another tune, or would the car run fine?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Basically a cutout is going to give me more power than anything, right? I would kind of like the power at all times, but not have the car insanely loud. (I think a cutout would be very loud)

Why couldn't I just make the 2.5 I pipe a 3 inch I pipe, get a different muffler and call it a day? If I did something like that, would I need another tune, or would the car run fine?
You wouldn't need another tune. You'll gain more HP with the cutout then out the back of the catback system. The cutout my seem loud at first, but it's not totally if you don't get on it. Watch this and see if you think it's too loud

That is a video of my car with an open cutout.

Here is a random video of me driving my car with no catback system on, just the y-pipe...

I was scared to drive it because I thought it was loud as ****. But, it got softer...It just seems loud at first. It was the first day I finished my headers. You can hear me misfire in the end.

You will feel a few extra ponies in higher RPM's with the cutout open. I ran a .250 better at the track with it open. One way you could go is ditch the y-pipe and the catback system...then buy true duels with bullet mufflers and you should be all set. Maybe just have some cutouts for the track only.

Here is a burnout video of my car with NO tread on my tires and my tires just wouldn't smoke...here is what it sounds like WOT and idle..

Oh yeah, enjoy the Saturn burnout haha. My friends GF was like STOP and my friend was like uh he's got front wheel drive. Then he just ****** slams on the brakes.

Last edited by blind527; 02-02-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Catback?