LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ks my ss
why search when all the threads are gona be full of people saying that longtubes are soooo much better and none of them contain any proof? the only "proof" is that so and so said i should so i did.

this debate is just as bad as the ss airbox vs. cold air intake. i have not seen enough "credable" evidence to make me switch, hell im still using a paper napa filter.
Well 9 times out of 10 going LT's are going to be better end of story case closed. Argue all you want I have seen over a hundred cars and numerous dyno pulls and when the customer switched from shorty's to LT's there was a significant gain. Anyone that knows about the internal cumbustion engine knows this, it is a plain and simple fact !!!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess i should listen to everyone and switch to long tubes, a stock throttle body and a cold air intake with a k&n filter. i bet my car really picks up. maybe if i throw in a tornado i can get into the 10s
Old 04-19-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe you should line up next to some one with a similiar setup as yours with the LT's being the only difference. But the only bad thing about that is human error is involved. And yes you should switch over and maybe you will make more power than what you advertise !!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrBill97396
Maybe you should line up next to some one with a similiar setup as yours with the LT's being the only difference. But the only bad thing about that is human error is involved. And yes you should switch over and maybe you will make more power than what you advertise !!!!!
i already do make more power. that was just bolt ons. i have since added a cam and home ported heads.

and yes i have raced cars with similar mods and long tubes and cars with cams ontop of everything. they were all disapointed in their cars.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

i already do make more power. that was just bolt ons. i have since added a cam and home ported heads.

and yes i have raced cars with similar mods and long tubes and cars with cams ontop of everything. they were all disapointed in their cars.
Like I said the other driver had alot to do with that as well. I would gladly run you and show you the difference.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Like I said the other driver had alot to do with that as well. I would gladly run you and show you the difference.
what did you run with boltons? in full weight, a/c everything. only things removed were spair tire, jack and front sway bar. and that babing it on the stock 10 bolt. i dont see too many other bolt on only cars that are full weight running mid to low 12s.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

what did you run with boltons? in full weight, a/c everything. only things removed were spair tire, jack and front sway bar. and that babing it on the stock 10 bolt. i dont see too many other bolt on only cars that are full weight running mid to low 12s.

You aren't proving anything by spouting out your o.k. et's. My buddies full weight LS1 with nothing more than a converter runs 12.4....big deal! Just cause you car runs fine with shorties, doesn't mean it wouldn't run better with longtubes. Look at the hundreds of dyno's that show what happens when you put on longtubes. Look at all the results before you come to a conclusion also. Not one or two random guys that have an unusually high dyno with shorties. Dyno's can be innacurate for several reasons. For example, I knew a place that would artificially elevated there #'s to show better gains and make the customer happy. That's why you not only have to look at trends, but talk to people that build motors for a living. If you make good power with shorties, then watch what happens when you put on longtubes!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
You aren't proving anything by spouting out your o.k. et's. My buddies full weight LS1 with nothing more than a converter runs 12.4....big deal! Just cause you car runs fine with shorties, doesn't mean it wouldn't run better with longtubes. Look at the hundreds of dyno's that show what happens when you put on longtubes. Look at all the results before you come to a conclusion also. Not one or two random guys that have an unusually high dyno with shorties. Dyno's can be innacurate for several reasons. For example, I knew a place that would artificially elevated there #'s to show better gains and make the customer happy. That's why you not only have to look at trends, but talk to people that build motors for a living. If you make good power with shorties, then watch what happens when you put on longtubes!
LS1? we are talking about LT1s here. this is the LT1 section. 2 different platforms and 2 different results. are you basing all your "facts" on LS1's?

hundreds of dyno graphs? show me 1 cause i think thats all i have seen where that was the only change.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

LS1? we are talking about LT1s here. this is the LT1 section. 2 different platforms and 2 different results. are you basing all your "facts" on LS1's?

hundreds of dyno graphs? show me 1 cause i think thats all i have seen where that was the only change.

Duh! Longtubes are equally as impressive on LT1's. Look under the dyno section. The search doesn't go back very far, but good luck. I've seen these results in person on dyno's, so I'm not concerned with proving it to myself. If you'd spent any time around cars in general, you wouldn't even be debating this!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Duh! Longtubes are equally as impressive on LT1's. Look under the dyno section. The search doesn't go back very far, but good luck. I've seen these results in person on dyno's, so I'm not concerned with proving it to myself. If you'd spent any time around cars in general, you wouldn't even be debating this!

long tubes might be similar on the lt1 and ls1... but the shorties are not buddy.

the ls1 shorties have the same short comings as the 96-97 lt1s. they have to use the factory y-pipe. then with them using the factory y they are really limited on the design of everthing about it.

so as stated many many times in this post, the 96+ shorties suck.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
long tubes might be similar on the lt1 and ls1... but the shorties are not buddy.

the ls1 shorties have the same short comings as the 96-97 lt1s. they have to use the factory y-pipe. then with them using the factory y they are really limited on the design of everthing about it.

so as stated many many times in this post, the 96+ shorties suck.
I understand...what are you trying to say?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

I only ran it at the track bone stock except for borla in the 1/8th 9.01 @ 77-79mph. After that I was just a turd *** street racer, the car has been down for almost 2 yrs. but is being built with a new motor (3?? cu.in.) LT's, CNC'd heads on a 2.02 valve, cc306, ported LT1 intake, thru an M6 and 4.10's and a 10 bolt with no suspension mods yet. Yeah the car will be on a diet as well as the driver is now because I will take any advantage I can, I believe that is called racing. And another advantage I will take is the fact that LT's will help make more power that shorty's.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

i have been looking in there and guess what, no lt1s. why are you even trying to compair the 2.
If you'd spent any time around cars in general, you wouldn't even be debating this!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Man you are really just pissing in the wind here trying to prove to yourself that Shorty's are a better route to go than LT's
Old 04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man you are really just pissing in the wind here trying to prove to yourself that Shorty's are a better route to go than LT's
if you have read any of this post, you will see the only time i said it was a better route is if you have to worry about emissions and ground clearence.

then i stated that i gained zip, going from shorties to long tubes. zero on the dyno zero at the track.
that proves in my book that they are no better, or worse.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

if you have read any of this post, you will see the only time i said it was a better route is if you have to worry about emissions and ground clearence.

then i stated that i gained zip, going from shorties to long tubes. zero on the dyno zero at the track.

Yeah I think I read this post I am not sure

Well I am not going to beat this point in the ground, the FACTS are that the header rankings fall in this order 3. shorty 2. Mid Length 1. LT's Now would you rather your car sit low or raise it and pick up power. If you gained nothing then that is your belief. But as I stated before I have seen with my very two eyes the difference between shorty's and LT's. If someone wants to go slower then get you some flowtech shorties and think your fast because your car is noisy. But if you are going for serious street application and are not out trying to impress the High Schoolers then Go with LT's or at least Mid Length headers and set your combination up right with the most EFFECIENT parts that are out there. All I am stating that people that do this for a living and sell these products know the difference and have seen it time and time again. So if I was a greenhorne looking for advice the LT1 section of this site would be my last resort due to the fact there is only a handful of people here that have a clue about doing things right !!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Dyno's aren't that accurate! Did you go from shorties to longtubes and dyno it on the same dyno? same day? Same conditions? Please don't base your longtube assumptions on this one fluke situation. I guarantee that there was some underlying problem with the dyno or your car, that didn't allow you to notice the gains that the LT's had provided.

ks my ss- I was only trying to say that my friend has a fast stock car, and just because your car runs nice, doesn't mean that shorties are as good as longtubes. In NO way was I comparing an LT1 to an LS1!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Dyno's aren't that accurate! Did you go from shorties to longtubes and dyno it on the same dyno? same day? Same conditions? Please don't base your longtube assumptions on this one fluke situation. I guarantee that there was some underlying problem with the dyno or your car, that didn't allow you to notice the gains that the LT's had provided.

ks my ss- I was only trying to say that my friend has a fast stock car, and just because your car runs nice, doesn't mean that shorties are as good as longtubes. In NO way was I comparing an LT1 to an LS1!
that is true about the different dyno or even same dyno different day. Although I may be new to this site, I have a supra that I have dynoed quite a few times over the years and the numbers are always different even on the exact same set up. Basically take what the dyno tells you with a grain of salt. as far as longtubes or shorties to I have no idea.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Launching!

i have never said shorties are better than long tubes. all im saying is that they arent nearly as bad as people make them out to be. and when i say shorty/midlenghts in talking the 93-95 style slps and the mac mids. the shorties in my eyes are the 96-97 style that use the factory cats and look like crap with 20 million welds on them.

there is a local guy running 9s on mac mids
Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

I know I dont have an LT1 but I have DYNOMAX shorties on my and they are pretty badass. 8th plug is still a bitch

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers