LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Camaro SS vs. Formula/Trans Am WS.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro SS vs. Formula/Trans Am WS.6

Why dose the SS kick the WS.6's @ss so hard stock for stock? (CARandDRIVER SS= 13.5 / WS.6=14.0 ) ive seen post on "stock Camaro 96 SS w/ nittos and cat-back ran a 13.0x" is it the valve train? anyone else ever wonder this? any factory freak Formula/Trans Am WS.6's out their?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

First off, its C&D. Second, they should be merely identical performance wise.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
First off, its C&D. Second, they should be merely identical performance wise.
ive heard of TA's being that fast also stock C and D kinda sucks they did a comparison on a 02 WS6 and a 02 SS last year they made them and they said the WS6 was faster that time
Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SS the equivalent of the Firehawk?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

nope ss is equivalent to the Trans Am the SLP SS is the Equivalent of the Firehawk i believe they just didnt give the SLP SS the fancy name unless im wrong and if so someone please correct me
Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only way an SS would outperform a WS6 is if that SS was 1 of 100 SS's made in 97 with the LT4. But that would be the only time in the entire history of the 4th gen car that the SS would be faster then the WS6, even SLP SS's arent that much faster if at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Nope some 96' SS as mine came with Ram Air, ported exhaust manifolds, Slp high flow exhaust. Mine ran 13.3's bone stock. 96 Ta's WS.6's came with Ram Air only. And were almost 200 pounds more.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zlover129
Only way an SS would outperform a WS6 is if that SS was 1 of 100 SS's made in 97 with the LT4. But that would be the only time in the entire history of the 4th gen car that the SS would be faster then the WS6, even SLP SS's arent that much faster if at all.
What do you think an SS is? It's from SLP, there aren't non-SLP SS Camaros. If there is an SLP "SS" that is equal to the Firehawk, then that's the first I've ever heard of it.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

They run the same.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

ive seen plenty of ss's without slp badging
just like with firebirds some got slp options some didnt be it formulas or Trans Am's
Old 04-25-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. Z28, SS, WS6 it doesn't matter. No matter which model you pic, they are going to pretty much run the same. The build tolerances account for more of a difference in power, then the SLIGHT upgrades you get with a SS, firehawk, etc. For example, you will see some stock Z28's that dyno higher than SS's. A couple things I've learned=ignore factory flywheel ratings cause they are known to be fudged for "political" reasons, and take car and driver results with a grain of salt. Your best way to see what a car can run, is to spend some time at the track.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

The Engine in them 2 cars from the factory is the same. There is a difference in suspensions and body dimensions. The Pontiac is actually lower, and wider. They always been that way compared to the Camaros.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blind527
What do you think an SS is? It's from SLP, there aren't non-SLP SS Camaros. If there is an SLP "SS" that is equal to the Firehawk, then that's the first I've ever heard of it.
Not every SS is an SLP SS, you still had options when getting the SS
Old 04-25-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas_TA
ive seen plenty of ss's without slp badging
just like with firebirds some got slp options some didnt be it formulas or Trans Am's
WS.6's aren't from SLP.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

They're all the damn same. When you buy a WS6, SS, with whatever options- most of them are just nameplate and appearance packages only. Very minor bolt-ons. GM plays with the horsepower ratings to get you to buy the car. There are no internal differences in any of the cars. The biggest performance differences IMO were suspension upgrades, and even those are pretty minimal.

Don't read Car & Driver for performance numbers. They're ******* clueless when it comes to these cars. Read these forums instead, they're free and much more accurate.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, that bench racing is BS.

to clear things up. an SS wasn't neccessarily made at SLP. starting at least by 98, the SS was done by GM. that means the SS hood, badging, spoiler, and base options were done by GM and not SLP. if you ordered SLP options, like the lid, posi, floormats, etc then SLP did it and the car comes with an SLP options sticker which should be on the passenger door instead of the driver door.

WS6s were done by ASE, not SLP. Firehawks are the same as SSs, with the SLP options.

all in all they will run similar to identical times and like has already been said, depending on options can be strictly cosmetic and suspension differences.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vendetta
They're all the damn same. When you buy a WS6, SS, with whatever options- most of them are just nameplate and appearance packages only. Very minor bolt-ons. GM plays with the horsepower ratings to get you to buy the car. There are no internal differences in any of the cars. The biggest performance differences IMO were suspension upgrades, and even those are pretty minimal.

Don't read Car & Driver for performance numbers. They're ******* clueless when it comes to these cars. Read these forums instead, they're free and much more accurate.
Actually there are more differences than just the suspension. The WS6/SS cars also had the functional Ram Air system (supposedly good for almost 15HP, hence the 325HP rating over the normal 310HP) as well as a better flowing/high performance exhaust.

When you improve the breathing of an engine you are going to get power gains, hence the difference in ratings between the Z28/TA and SS/WS6 models. Under ideal conditions, the SS/WS6 cars should always be a tenth of two faster than their Z28/TA counterparts, but most people can't notice much of a difference.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Actually there are more differences than just the suspension. The WS6/SS cars also had the functional Ram Air system (supposedly good for almost 15HP, hence the 325HP rating over the normal 310HP) as well as a better flowing/high performance exhaust.

When you improve the breathing of an engine you are going to get power gains, hence the difference in ratings between the Z28/TA and SS/WS6 models. Under ideal conditions, the SS/WS6 cars should always be a tenth of two faster than their Z28/TA counterparts, but most people can't notice much of a difference.
First off, don't cite any GM power ratings.. as I said in my previous post, they're FUBAR, manipulated by GM to get people to purchase certain types of cars.

Please.. Ram Air is a gimmick. It's unprovable on the dyno and I haven't seen anybody get substantial gains with it through track times. It doesn't improve engine breathing any better than a CAI will, and that difference is negligible IMO.

I don't think you really understood my post, I know all of the changes between the base V8 models and the so-called "top" V8 models such as the WS6es and SSes. I was saying that none of them are really worth a ****.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

First off, don't cite any GM power ratings.. as I said in my previous post, they're FUBAR, manipulated by GM to get people to purchase certain types of cars.

Please.. Ram Air is a gimmick. It's unprovable on the dyno and I haven't seen anybody get substantial gains with it through track times. It doesn't improve engine breathing any better than a CAI will, and that difference is negligible IMO.
It may not be all its made out to be, but its definitely not a gimmick. It accomlishes the task of bringing cool air directly into the engine intake at speed, and the faster you go the more air is pushed in, which can give you a few more Horsepower at higher speeds (in excess of 100MPH).

At normal speeds or on the dyno its not going to give any more gain than a CAI, but its still more power than the factory stock non-ram air system.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

+1.....Dyno's and track times say differently. Like I said earlier, build tolerances are more of a factor concerning perforrmance than a non-functional ram air and BARELY better flowing catback than stock. The factory designed ram air isn't really a true ram air. Even a "true" ram air has a very debateable effect.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs. Formula/Trans Am WS.6