LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

block ready for assembly (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default block ready for assembly (pics)

well after what seems like a lifetime my engine builder called and had me come down today and see the block ready for assembly..... all the work was awesome.... took the extra time for the extra touches that make for a healthy motor.... and since we're planning to make 1000hp and run in the 8's now i'm glad he took the extra time....

so i took a couple of spy shots while i was there.... motor will start being assembled on wednesday and should be ready for the Super Victor to be plopped on top early next week..... i'll take delivery once we are sure how we want to setup the ignition (not opti but most likely crank trigger and dist)....

block with finished bores

other side/freshly hottanked and painted

polished oil galley returns in rear

deck with deck plugs installed

clearancing for the 3.75" stroker crank

just for fun plopped the AFR 227's on there

oil galley shot with heads
Old 07-04-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I see he plugged and drilled your upper deck cooling passages for extra strength. PortPros did mine as well. They also did a couple more little tricks to strengthen the block. How long before it is built? Mine is finished.....just need to go over and take some pics of it and pick it up. Looks like they did a great job for ya!!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good, im jealous.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I shouldve went with those heads. Looking good.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. If this is a drag race only motor you can pick up a little HP by plugging the drain backs in the lifter valley.

Daren
Old 07-04-2006, 02:15 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like Comp Cam's little aluminum vent tubes screwed into the valley return / drain-back holes. They are the only ones I have found that clear the roller tie-bars easily. Stops oil falling on the spinning rotating assembly, yet allows crank case pressure to equalize.

Nice looking parts.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

Nice! I see he plugged and drilled your upper deck cooling passages for extra strength. PortPros did mine as well. They also did a couple more little tricks to strengthen the block. How long before it is built? Mine is finished.....just need to go over and take some pics of it and pick it up. Looks like they did a great job for ya!!
Yeah to strengthen the deck he installed the plugs in the deck and the block is also half filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs.... Lance is waiting on the main bearings which should be here wednesday and he'll start assembling everything..... one cool thing is since the pistons are attached to the rods using buttons instead of spirolox attaching the pistons to the rods takes like 2 seconds versus 5 minutes a piece.... he says it'll be a complete shortblock by next monday.... then he'll slap the cometic 3 piece head gaskets on there (saw those things yesterday and they are badass.... definitely gonna be hard to blow a head gasket) and put the heads on it, followed by the shaft rockers, and then we'll take care of lifters and pushrods.... When he's away doing something else I'll bolt up the canton pan and pump/pickup assy... then i'll take some REAL pics....

Thanks everyone for the words....
Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also have your man smooth out the two humps at the rear of the block (third picture) to aid oil return. If you are planning to run eights that's where the oil is going to be. You might also want to install a baffle at the oil pump to stop oil from riding up and hitting the rotating assembly when you launch.

Daren
Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

looks awesome man, good luck with it, get us some piston pics once they're in too
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Launching!

very nice!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

They're not the "IN" pics but you can at least get a feel for what we're running for a piston.....

gas ported JE custom nitrous flattops.... 12:1 compression with my heads, reduction grooves machined into the ringlands and these pistons were made with a 300 top ring land for large amounts of nitrous..... And I'm still going to use a 6" rod hence the wristpin "buttons" instead of spirolox....