LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Those who turned their cars in to race cars....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Those who turned their cars in to race cars....

Any regrets? I have had buddied do it to new cars and what not and regret it, but I have owned this car for so long, rarley drive it, dont really think I would miss it.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 07-12-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Classic example right here..... I love my car and have owned it since it was new.... I loved driving it on the street but unfortunately being that I live in california there is only so much you can do and still keep it smog legal.... so the decision had to be made to convert it if I wanted to run what I want to run...... I still consider it a street car and always will regardless of what I do to it.... So although it's not yet done I don't think i'll have any regrets... Hell it might even make the time I get behind the wheel THAT MUCH MORE enjoyable since it'll be shorter periods of time...... I'm still looking into out of state registration so I can take it on the occasional cruise to the burger shop or car shows and reminisce.....

But to answer your questions nope no regrets.....
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who has owned his 94 since new, and his is a race car. He has sometimes said he would like to have a street car, but i don't think he regrets it.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

You've gotta go pretty friggin insane with the mods to end up with something that's no longer considered streetable in today's terms. What is your definition of racecar and what is your gameplan for going about getting it there?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Banned

id also like some answers...mayb kinda along the lines whats the luxury that you with you hadent removed....as in cd player a/c heater power windows quiet muffler?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
You've gotta go pretty friggin insane with the mods to end up with something that's no longer considered streetable in today's terms. What is your definition of racecar and what is your gameplan for going about getting it there?
True, you can drive a 8 sec car around on the street. Turbo cars really come to mind.

Things like no A/C, no carpet, speedo, Windshield wipers, wedging your self into a kirkys through a 10 point cage with no swing outs. Spool, all metal bushings in the suspension. Just some of the small things my friend deals with. The car is streetable, and still insured and taged. But its a no fun to drive around on the street.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a situation sort of like what were talking about here.

I had a mint 94z28 with a very nice 400ci solid roller afr215RR heads super vic intake. full BMR front end, 9 inch, etc etc. I was having a 88mm turbo setup built for it and i decided to part it out.

it was going to be a semidaily drivin car. i got to thinking and i realized that I really dont need a 1000+rwhp car for a street car, its cool for braging rights but not much more. I cant race it at the track because I dont have a cage for under 10 sec. it had gotten to the point to where i needed to pick one way or the other, cant have both. if its goingt obe a race car then it cant be daily drivin anymore (due to the cage). if its going to be a street then its wayyy overkill for what i need. I may as well toss in a basic 383 with sime afr210s or so and a t76gts turbo and havea fun little street car.

i ended up parting it out for over 30k and i was thinking about gettign a vette.

brook
Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiez28
I had a situation sort of like what were talking about here.

I had a mint 94z28 with a very nice 400ci solid roller afr215RR heads super vic intake. full BMR front end, 9 inch, etc etc. I was having a 88mm turbo setup built for it and i decided to part it out.

it was going to be a semidaily drivin car. i got to thinking and i realized that I really dont need a 1000+rwhp car for a street car, its cool for braging rights but not much more. I cant race it at the track because I dont have a cage for under 10 sec. it had gotten to the point to where i needed to pick one way or the other, cant have both. if its goingt obe a race car then it cant be daily drivin anymore (due to the cage). if its going to be a street then its wayyy overkill for what i need. I may as well toss in a basic 383 with sime afr210s or so and a t76gts turbo and havea fun little street car.

i ended up parting it out for over 30k and i was thinking about gettign a vette.

brook
And your still not done parting it out.

I have decided to keep my car full interior with carpet, all panels, dash, door panels.......etc. I also kept the wipers, lamps, all harnesses, and even stock steering wheel. I still want to drive mine on the streets from time to time and still be able to run single digits.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The hardest thing for me to do was put the roll bar in it. I was still driving the car alot and put alot of thought into how I wanted it. the Bar turned out great and has been copied many times over now as it is a seemless non-intrusive design.

Even just loosing the back seats just took some thing out of it. I still have A/C and all that and have decided that for now 10.00 will just have to be the limit for how fast the car will be. The car drives great but the power can be pure evil and catch you by suprise at times.

Sp for now it will stay pretty much the way it is. I plan on getting a C-6 Z06 in the next few years and then I will let the car slip into race status
Old 07-13-2006, 09:30 AM
ZRS
Teching In

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Any regrets? I have had buddied do it to new cars and what not and regret it, but I have owned this car for so long, rarley drive it, dont really think I would miss it.

One word DON'T !!! .... I did it and now regret it... this p.o.s. is hardly driveable all the phuckin noise eveywhere is driving me nuts !!! ... I'm selling this POS now... I learned my lesson the hard way.... just my experience.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
exactly what he said.

I vote for just making it into a mean *** street car but keep ac, interior, cd player, ect.. this is what im working towards and i dont mind it one bit.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1 97 formula
exactly what he said.

I vote for just making it into a mean *** street car but keep ac, interior, cd player, ect.. this is what im working towards and i dont mind it one bit.
what I did to mine.. havnt driven it on the street yet but its gonna be a ******* beast pulling 12's on street tires and 11's on drags got a full audio system and everything for it
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Define race car Neil?.... can a race car have ac? ...I want ac back...it's too freaking hot ....expensive enough to drive as-is.....

what was the topic again? oh yeah race cars.....

do it already ...get a beater and make this your toy...do it maing
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

This is tuff to determine what is a race car and what is a street car.
My car has no HVAC, no power steering, no seats execpt a drivers. It does have all interior plastics and a honkin stereo. I swapped in a TH400 with a reverse manual valve body and a 4000 stall with a transbrake. Lotsa weight reduction and liteweight carpet combined with short true duals make it loud. Yet it still has a stock LT1 motor with bolt ons. I could drive it everyday if I could afford the gas.
As it is I have other vehicles to drive on a daily basis and the camaro leads a pampered life in my garage.
Do I regret anything I have done to the car? HELL no. I would do it all again.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:12 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is on the edge of what your sagin, i cant afford to have 2 cars. But im not going to drive an 11 second Z28 either. Im shooting for low 10s on a mild shot and then do be able to drive it everyday.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

I have 6 cars, my baby the GTP(spotless stage 4 turbo setup with all options) not a scrach on her...this is my street car next year. I bought this Z to be strictly a drag car. if my dailey driver werent involved in a head on collision(not my fault)...I would have proceeded on plan.

I now have to drive this Z28 to and from work....now with a cam with 658lift.....no interior...AC.....heat.....stereo stuff..etc. do I care. no. do you know how many peopel stare at my car wishing they could have it? everytime I go somehwere in it people ask me whats in it...how fast she run. Do I care about gas prices..heck no. you have to pay to play. I have fun in my race car. build it the way you want it. for me it was worth it. but its nice just to have another car to cruise around in...no noise, stereo.......sun roof.

its just a car...have fun with it!!!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

I have owned my car since new and it is currently in the process of getting a EXTREME makeover and I do not regret it one bit. The whole street racing scene gets old after a while and you just want to go ***** out racing.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

don't be a *****....go hard core all out...strip that bastard down to about 3000 pounds with a driver in it and thorw a well built lt1 in there....then laugh at everybody as you go by....
it's worth it....if you don't have to daily drive it long distances
Old 07-14-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is tuff to determine what is a race car and what is a street car.
My car has no HVAC, no power steering, no seats execpt a drivers. It does have all interior plastics and a honkin stereo. I swapped in a TH400 with a reverse manual valve body and a 4000 stall with a transbrake. Lotsa weight reduction and liteweight carpet combined with short true duals make it loud. Yet it still has a stock LT1 motor with bolt ons. I could drive it everyday if I could afford the gas.
As it is I have other vehicles to drive on a daily basis and the camaro leads a pampered life in my garage.
Do I regret anything I have done to the car? HELL no. I would do it all again.
im guessing you have plans for a differnt motor in the future???

don't be a *****....go hard core all out...strip that bastard down to about 3000 pounds with a driver in it and thorw a well built lt1 in there....then laugh at everybody as you go by....
it's worth it....if you don't have to daily drive it long distances
or you can laugh at everyone as you go by with power stearing, cold AC, low road noise etc etc.

why strip it down and be uncomfortable when you can go as fast as you really want to go on the street and keep all that.

i can see doing it if you have future plans for a race car or if you want to go faster but cant afford to make more power.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt call mine a race car, but i do regret hitting the point to where i had to choose between drag racing or road racing. kind of miss the day where i could hit the drags one weekend then then autox or roadracing the next.

plus the fact that is so freakin load that i have to idle through the neighborhood... and i still **** people off.

Quick Reply: Those who turned their cars in to race cars....