LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why build/keep an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will admit that I get snubbed at the track by all the ls1 people...untill I make a pass..then they are all over wanting to know "how much juice are you running". They are just amazed when I tell them its all motor and stock crank motor on pump gas. The looks on their faces is halarious. Its even funnier when they had waited on me in line so we could run ...they thought it was gonna be a easy win. For some reason they think I just run the 28x10.5Ws for looks..go figure. I guess thats one of the reasons I still build this car...to see those looks when they just got drug. My wife drives a ls1 so I do respect the cars and motors..alot. They have tremedous potential and I would love to build an all out ls1 motor one day. But for now..I will just continue to be the "thorn in their side".
Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 Formula
I will admit that I get snubbed at the track by all the ls1 people...untill I make a pass..then they are all over wanting to know "how much juice are you running".

My '94 is not as fast as your Formy, but I have had nearly the exact same scenario happen at the track. It's usually Mustang guys. They see me make a pass and then come over and ask what size of shot I just ran. "No squeeze, that was a motor pass". They look sceptical until I point to the empty bottle bracket and say "the bottle is not even in the car. It would be a little :wink: faster if I sprayed".

Gotta love it.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Im going with major underdog I will have both shortly driving a 98 TA now , building a LT1 for an 81 Cutlass "whats in that thing a 307" yup cam and headers
Old 07-22-2006, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

I keep hearing the word "potential" used in here. In stock form an LS1 has NO MORE potential than an LT1, for two reasons.

A. Displacement = potential. If you want to get picky, an LT1 has more potential by about 4 cubic inches. Stock equipment means nothing because the aftermarket is better anyway.

B. Block materials. The LS1 is aluminum, the LT1 is iron. 'Nuff said.

I don't understand what magic powers give an LS1 more potential than an LT1..
Old 07-22-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
I keep hearing the word "potential" used in here. In stock form an LS1 has NO MORE potential than an LT1, for two reasons.

A. Displacement = potential. If you want to get picky, an LT1 has more potential by about 4 cubic inches. Stock equipment means nothing because the aftermarket is better anyway.

Because god touched the LS1 and spit the LT1 out.

The LS1 IS better in many ways. With out the LT1 program the LS1 would have been still born. The LT1 program Proved you could make power with push rods and we never even saw the full potenial of the LTx platform.

There is NO dought about which is the better engine much like the flat head ruled till the SBC came along and re-wrote history

I am to invested in LTx stuff to change with this car. I plan on running a 15-18* SBC with 427CI next Makes same power as LSx crap
Old 07-22-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44

Show me a LT1 that can put down 495hp and 420tq with a heads and cam and bolt ons on a stock bottom end and stock 346 displacement. Thats the potential that people are talking about..

Yes the Iron block is a good thing. But when people want to go bigger on a LS1 all you have to do is go out and get a 6.0L Iron Block from a Escalade or one of the GM trucks.

Again look in my sig no LT1 hate here
Old 07-22-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Show me a LT1 that can put down 495hp and 420tq with a heads and cam and bolt ons on a stock bottom end and stock 346 displacement. Thats the potential that people are talking about..

Yes the Iron block is a good thing. But when people want to go bigger on a LS1 all you have to do is go out and get a 6.0L Iron Block from a Escalade or one of the GM trucks.

put modified 15* heads on it and yes I will show you
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TwoFast4Lv I agree with you, Let me prepare a 355 LT1 with a Converted Single plain intake, HR cam, some SBC Gen 1 heads set to Reverse Cool (18-23 degree design) and I could make over 500RWHP. Its all in the topend, generally the LS1 has Better aftermarket Heads and intakes.
Like TwoFast4Lv said let me use a 15 degree head and we will see what happens.

A motor is a Motor wether its a OLDER TPI or LS1, Heads, intake, and cam can manipulate all the power.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

I knew this one would strike a nerve. Glad to see so many people standing ground, and its nice to see a few people who own both appreciate an LT1. LS1's are sick, but any LS1 guy who completey writes off all LT1's will probably get a suprise sooner or later.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28

Does it really matter how you get 495 HP . Look at BRETTINATOR made 499 Hp and 441 TQ with an LT1. Now weather it was done with a 346 or a 396 who cares
Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
put modified 15* heads on it and yes I will show you
You remind me of myself when we would argue about mustang vs camaros. i would always say give me .such and such cubic inches and ill show you. I also remember the 4 banger guys saying give me a turbo and nitrous and ill show you blah blah blah. Well give me a million dollors and a super model and ill show you. keeps going on and on doesnt it.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
Does it really matter how you get 495 HP . Look at BRETTINATOR made 499 Hp and 441 TQ with an LT1. Now weather it was done with a 346 or a 396 who cares
My post in that thread got deleted. You guys think he got there easilly? He wont even share his head and cam specs. That the worst thing about being a LT1 fan. Everyone else try so hard to defend it they lose sight of reality. This thread is sad. Why cant we accept the LT1 is no LS1 and move on and be happy with what we have? Vendetta going around deleting my post for what? All I do is keep it real. I thought he knew me better than that.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
My post in that thread got deleted. You guys think he got there easilly? He wont even share his head and cam specs. That the worst thing about being a LT1 fan. Everyone else try so hard to defend it they lose sight of reality. This thread is sad. Why cant we accept the LT1 is no LS1 and move on and be happy with what we have? Vendetta going around deleting my post for what? All I do is keep it real. I thought he knew me better than that.
I did'nt say it was easy. Imortant thing was that it was done period. There is an LT1 with 499 HP. It's like they say you have to pay to play. I'm sure he spent a nut and a half trying to do it. Reality... reality is that Moded LT'1 are keeping if not beeting Moded LS1's, and it goes back and forth. Coulda woulda and shoulda. People build what they want and spend what they want. If people want to play with displacement with me fine I just bring out the 67 goat with a 525 CID and do 8's on motor N/A streetable
Old 07-23-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
I did'nt say it was easy. Imortant thing was that it was done period. There is an LT1 with 499 HP. It's like they say you have to pay to play. I'm sure he spent a nut and a half trying to do it. Reality... reality is that Moded LT'1 are keeping if not beeting Moded LS1's, and it goes back and forth. Coulda woulda and shoulda. People build what they want and spend what they want. If people want to play with displacement with me fine I just bring out the 67 goat with a 525 CID and do 8's on motor N/A streetable
uhg. You mised the point completly. Of cource you have to pay to play but some have to pay more to play with the big boys.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jeez.

Quick Reply: Why build/keep an LT1?