LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Poly engine mounts.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Poly engine mounts.

I looked through the search feature and got some feedback on replacing them, but not exactly what I'm looking for. For jacking up the engine do you have to unbolt the motor mount b4 you jack it up? And once you have it jacked up would you recommend doing one side at a time or both? Also what is the best method for jacking up the engine because I'm a bit leary of just using a jack and 2X4's to distribute the force on the oil pan. Thanks for the input, I'm ready for this project to be finished...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Bump for ya. I could use some detail on this as well as I'll be doing them soon
Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

put your car up on jack stands/ramps

remove the "through" bolts on the mounts

jack up the engine....some people use the oil pan; i used the transmission bellhousing right behind the pan. Use an old yellow pages as a cushin.

remove the mounts

The mounts are rivited together, so you'll need a 1/2" and 3/8" drill bit to drill the rivits out.

Install the new mounts, and re-sandwhich the mounting plates toghether using the supplied hardware.

Re-attach the mounts. I left them a little loose so I could wiggle them around. Re-aligh the through bolts and tighten it all down.

I had the most difficulty getting them realigned. It helps to have someone else operate the jack up/down while you try and slide the through bolt back through.

Tighten everything back up....done!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man I started to use the bellhousing, but wasn't quite sure. I'll prolly have to use 2 phone books b/c the car is jacked up so high, but I should be on my way! That helps I appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Teching In

i dented the oil pan jacking by it...much easier to use the bellhousing. I cut and stacked 1x12's and put the phone book on that.

Having to swap oil pans isnt fun....
Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so the passenger side thru bolt is out, but the driver's side bolt is directly blocked by another bolt on the mount, what should I do? Do I need to jack up the engine so the thru bolt will have enough clearance to come out or should I take out the bolt blocking it or what?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We always do them when the engine is out.

Not sure If I like them yet. car sure vibrates more and I did not see an improvment in my reaction times...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Ok so the passenger side thru bolt is out, but the driver's side bolt is directly blocked by another bolt on the mount, what should I do? Do I need to jack up the engine so the thru bolt will have enough clearance to come out or should I take out the bolt blocking it or what?
It's blocked by another bolt on the mount?? I had some clearance issues with some radiator/ac hoses on the pass side, but the drivers side went right in...

Is the problem you cant get a wrench on the bolt because there isnt enough clearance? If thats the case, tap the bolt out with a hammer from the back. There isnt much room in there.....but it'll come out...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well no there is a bolt that is keeping the thru bolt from coming out, it is perpendicular from the thru bolt and is blocking me from even getting a wrench around it. Being ghey! I think I'll just take off the bolt that's blocking it and hopefully there both aren't blocking each other. How do people put together an engine and do **** like this? I mean that is retarded.

Edit: Yea just looked at it and both the through bolt and the bolt on the upper side that goes to the engine are BLOCKING EACH OTHER!!!!!111!!!FTL
IS THAT POSSIBLE!!??
Old 09-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Well no there is a bolt that is keeping the thru bolt from coming out, it is perpendicular from the thru bolt and is blocking me from even getting a wrench around it. Being ghey! I think I'll just take off the bolt that's blocking it and hopefully there both aren't blocking each other. How do people put together an engine and do **** like this? I mean that is retarded.

Edit: Yea just looked at it and both the through bolt and the bolt on the upper side that goes to the engine are BLOCKING EACH OTHER!!!!!111!!!FTL
IS THAT POSSIBLE!!??
I guess I got lucky and didnt have this problem :o)

This is what your dealing with:
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf...otormount.html

Does varying the height (up/down) of the motor help at all?? Can you get the open end of a wrench on it?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well got 'em out, I jacked up the engine enough for the thru bolt to have clearance to come out. The mounts DEFinitely needed replacement b/c the new mount has like an inch more to it than the stocker did :O They were all kinds of nastified...I knew my engine was a little jumpy
Old 09-29-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Lol, good to hear. I can't wait to get mine in the mail....takes forever

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poly engine mounts.