LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 AFR's???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are off the shelf-bolt them on and go-everyone can order them. Why is your car running 12's @109mph? What does your car dyno? I would think you should also be making 521rwhp since you are running the same setup? I'd be bitter like you too if my B-body should be making 500+rw and running 116-118mph all motor and it was short 100rwhp.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

^^ I highly doubt dwayne is running the same setup. I would have to guess he's making somewhere slightly north of 400rwhp.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
NO they did not go ***** out they are the very same CNC work you can call them up and order and the intake is too. What part of 190-200CC do you not understand? LE2s are about a 205cc port, LE3s are 208cc nobody has a problem with taking that much out of a stock casting how is 200CC going that wild??

You are exactly what I was talking about those too ignorant to try just pretend it is something wild and mysterious rather than learn something.
I am hard pressed to believe these are "typical" heads/intake that anyone can buy at a BUDGET price. Why is it that these same heads are getting hydraulic roller cam guys 400-410rwhp on average with stock bottom ends? Does this mean that these AI heads are just better with large solid roller setups than hydraulic? No, these heads are about as good as any other porter's heads that make 400-410rwhp with medium HR cams. Rick's car is extreme and I will reserve judgement on the heads till I see more people make power with them. FYI, it would be ignorant to have the ricer mentality of "hey, joe shmo did it so I can to". If it were as simple as that, we would all have great results. I would be willing to bet that a seriously ported AFR210 by AI would make substantialy more power than the stock casting head.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_6
If they are off the shelf-bolt them on and go-everyone can order them. Why is your car running 12's @109mph? What does your car dyno? I would think you should also be making 521rwhp since you are running the same setup? I'd be bitter like you too if my B-body should be making 500+rw and running 116-118mph all motor and it was short 100rwhp.
You are an idiot and so is streetwarrior, what part of stock shortblock daily driver with over 100K on the motor do you not understand?

tbsimmons, my cam is VERY similar duration and lift to yours and not as tight a LSA as most of the LE/BB stuff I have heard specs on. A friend has a TPIS ported AFR headed stroker LT1 in a third gen and despite the weight disadvantage my car has SOTP is no comparison HP wise, lowend torque with his lighter weight he seems to have me though, his cam is 240/240 and like .56x/.59x with his rocker ratio split. He has some tuning issues I can help him with but I do not think either of us believes they are worth the .5 in the quarter between us at this time. I tried to take it to the dyno but had problems(rod bearings) and the car left on the rollback without a clean run. Threw another stock shortblock under it for now.

I blame the failure on roughly 470-480fwhp on a high milage motor combine with fuel issues in spring that had caused detonation and some metal in the oil at that time, since it stopped making metal once the fuel system was up to par I left it alone and it held for over 5K more miles and I could not even guess how many 12.3-9 second passes this summer.
Also remeber my going with AI was going against the grain, there are A LOT of parts on my car where I was one of the first to go out on a limb and try something a little different. Where I confuse people is when I push RESULTS over reputation, people can not get past a good reputation to see mediocre results hench the popularity of LT4 stuff and AFR.

Since you are accusing me of just looking for a reason to drop names how about Mike Harris, I have never bought a thing from him, he deserves a lot of credit for his car. 480rwhp through an 8" 4200ATI 4L60E the LT1 aluminum heads, LT1 intake, 383 and tranny all ported and built by him cam is a 242/250 off the shelf Crane solid roller. Again see what happens when people actually try.

Lloyd, RacePrep and a whole host of others get great results out of ported LT1 castings as well and IMO the Trickflows would be the aftermarket LT1 casting to play with, I do not know a lot of info on cars that run them from AI but I know of a few spectacular performing b-bodies that run them ported by Chapman.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I can vouch for Mike Harris. He installed gears on my 96 Impala and I have seen his setup. He ported the heads and lt1 intake himself and has a 94 3800 pound Impala almost in the 10's.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Enjoy your 375rwhp setup and I'll enjoy my 500rwhp setup. I'm happy with mine, the question is, are you happy with yours?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo_6
Enjoy your 375rwhp setup and I'll enjoy my 500rwhp setup. I'm happy with mine, the question is, are you happy with yours?

your gonna go there?

I know dayne still has room for more power, and hasn't done jack to lose weight.... I bet he will break the Heads and Cam b-body record soon.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
I bet he will break the Heads and Cam b-body record soon.
What is the record? I have seen Stock Eliminator Impalas run 11.6's @ 4000 lbs. From what I've seen on here, these ported head cars are kind of slow. Anyone else think so?

Daren
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still reading thru thread but Rick's car is heavier than my car and has more comforts than mine so street car is relative, so is race car. Other than the stickers what makes it a non street car?

And for some of us, running what was given to us from GM is more fun. I like doing more with 'less'. People telling me that something can not be done and then proving that it can be done.

Abare's car is a great example of what can be done if given the opportunity.

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Its not a street car, its a race car. Its got full interior? How?

When trying to sell a product your going to do some crazy **** that most dont.

In AI's case, they went ***** out with stock castings, most LT1 owners wont do what AI did, that car is more then a ported stock intake/castings.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not saying its accidental, he has a large Company on his side though.

Most of us cant say the same.
What large company is sponsoring him or on his side as you put it!?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIZMO
What is the record? I have seen Stock Eliminator Impalas run 11.6's @ 4000 lbs. From what I've seen on here, these ported head cars are kind of slow. Anyone else think so?

Daren
I think alot of cars on here are SLOW with the amount of money and dyno time they have used to get mid 12s out of a H/C package, heck, even the stroker motors are praised if they top 400RWHP, that is a disgrace really.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going by this. http://dan.esteban.com/impalass/Retu...SelectedClass= Unless you have something that says otherwise.

theres me, waaaaay down at the bottom. class 6, aka the slow pokes.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Dwayne I never said that the LT1 castings were not good.
Mike Harris, that is a little extreme dont you think.
Him, Karl, Glen and Pat can not be compared to the norm.
Anyone that runs those times has optimized a combo, even with a lighter car.
I have talked with Mike on the phone a lot, he does great at car setup, as does the others which I have seen numerous times at strips I fly to back east.
The point I was trying to make is you degrade people for choosing LT4 and AFR stuff.
Is there a better solution, SOMETIMES.
Was there with mine, I dont know, but it seems to be working right now.
On the ET list mine is a 13.48, stock motor, class 6.

The last point to this, if you maximize what you got, you will be fast.
But telling someone they are an idiot for doing so, well no wonder you get under peoples skin.

Your friend with AFR's, I think he has to big of a cam, remember what Harris was running with a 501 cam in a stroker?

Total RWHP is not everything. If you have flat curves, that can be better.
Also on peaks, some do not have the number and live in places that smog is a problem.

Heads and cam record right now is 11.9 at 115, by Karl.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
I'm going by this. http://dan.esteban.com/impalass/Retu...SelectedClass= Unless you have something that says otherwise.

theres me, waaaaay down at the bottom. class 6, aka the slow pokes.
Wow would you look at that, out of the top 5 cars 3 of them have AFR's
Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Troy, Karl expects me to break his record.

Far as the top cars on the b-body ET page having AFRs as I said the cars that make those heads work have cubic dollars thrown at them, I am a bit more falimiar with those individuals than you and the number 5 car is IMO the most impressivie, yes it is stripped but it is flying for the comparatively tiny amount of money he has into it, out of those 5 that is the only one on stock engine management. One of those times is a car that belonged to a lawyer whos SLOW car was a Viper, he hemoraged money into that thing believe the total was over $90K and today backyard built cars are knocking on his records and one has fallen already.

2 of those are also OLD times before we had as many wonderful options for porting LT1 castings too.

People do not understand how a lot of times it is when cars are newer and owned by folks with LOTS of money that records are set and they stay but as time goes on and folks learn other come damn close to the records for a tiny fraction the cost.

Far as the 375rwhp joke even the most LE faithful will agree my car makes more than that.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Not sure if I really want to get involved in this, but anyway, here goes...

I will admit that Dwayne is absolutely crushing me on power right now with his AI ported heads vs my AFR's, but my car has some pretty major issues right now.

Maybe Im wrong, but one thing that the AFR's definitely have going for them is strength. I origianlly bought them with the plan of running a forged bottom end and a boatload of spray. The AFR's weigh alot more than the stockers, especially after alot of portwork on the stockers. The AFR's have a very thick deck. I had walked away from my car and came back 15 minutes later to find the temp gauge pegged. I had the AFR heads checked for cracks or warping. They pressure checked perfect and are as straight as the day they were new. The engine shop that checked them was amazed at the fact that they needed no work at all.

I guess im not arguing or agreeing with anybody. I think Dwayne made a very good choice and is doing very very well with his AI setup. I also think that if the people with the AFR's are happy, thats good too. Everybody has their own opinion and you know what they say about opinions. I say, buy whatever you think you will be happy with (AFR in my case).
Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
What large company is sponsoring him or on his side as you put it!?

BMR/AI.

Everyone that reads this sees it like we ******* hate stock castings and they are shitty. The guy makes great ******* POWER!! But thats not going to happen on a DD LT1, just isnt.

Tony.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

It can happen, and has, and will.
the problem is people do not give it time, they just think they need something else.
Abare's car is closer to stock than my car, and I was just bolt ons.

As many 383s that are out there on the street, there should be some nice 475+ combo's running around with stock castings but NOPE. Mediocre (sp) low 400s, why!?!?

Sure would be cool to be sponsor'd that is for sure!!
BMR/AI.

Everyone that reads this sees it like we ******* hate stock castings and they are shitty. The guy makes great ******* POWER!! But thats not going to happen on a DD LT1, just isnt.

Tony.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Joe O had a few 450+rwhp 350's running around on stock bottom end's, Ai has Rick Abare's car, LE has more than a few 420rwhp car's running around.. All apples to oranges, there are always going to be compromises.. Always gonna hear excuse's, and why somthing did not go the way everyone thought it would.. That's usually a mismatch of part's.. The top end of a motor is a combo.. Not thrown together w/ the best part's money can buy and bam you have 5trillion rwhp... you think tony sheperd is trying to beat a rwhp record? he's not racing dyno's or even the guy next to him.. He's out there for him and to satisfy his Goal's.. If 522rwhp will get the job done for him.. More power to him.. beside's it was still climbing so probably a 550-560rwhp+ car anyway.. My father always told me no matter what you do they're will always be someone faster.. And that is soo true.. Until we all learn to compare note's and actually help each other instead of turning these helpful threads into a pissing contest.. Will we all actually benefit from it..

Quick Reply: LT1 AFR's???