LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBD-II to OBD-I

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
JUICED96Z

Default OBD-II to OBD-I

One of my buddies heard that by going from OBD-II to OBD-I you can get more power out of a tune because there are more paramaters that you can change and as we know its easier to work on the car with less sensors.

Does anyone know if this is true or not? I still have OBD-II in my car with a mail tune.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A few reputable tuners do say they can get more out of OBD1 but your ideas on why are flat out stupid. Sensors are what allow injection to work so very well not a hinderance to it.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's because OBD-I isnt as prone to retard the timing, its not as sensitive as OBD-II, i've heard of gains being around 10hp
Old 10-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Teching In

I think alot of people do this just because the OBD I program and cable is alot cheaper than OBD II. Thats my reason.

Brian
Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A few reputable tuners do say they can get more out of OBD1 but your ideas on why are flat out stupid. Sensors are what allow injection to work so very well not a hinderance to it.

Before you call someones ideas stupid read their post a few times and realize they are talking about two different things...... and avoid making yourself look like a complete idiot in the process....

So your saying every OBD-II sensor is needed and can't live without?

Wow, guess I better get Ion to reprogram my rear 02's back in... since those are sensors.... pretty sure there are a few others on a OBD-II car thats not on the 1 cars..... but those could be the only ones, I was just trying to figure out.... for 10hp its not worth me converting over...
Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, if i run into an OBD1 pcm before i get it dyno tuned then i will do it, and keep my mail order on the obd2 computer for inspection
Old 10-02-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

I think the reason they go OBD I is becuase it is easier/cheaper to tune. and I know for a fact that the rear O2's are not what "caprice" was talking about. Did he make himself look dumb? nope... but you sure showed your own irnorance again. OBD II cars have a few more sensors, and features, and run ever so slightly different. like the way the Knock sensors work( I forget just how it's different) but I do know that the OBD I PCM needs a small mod.(to work with the differnt Knock sensor) you solder 2, 1 ohm resistors inline to 2 pins to correct the Knock sensors, then all you need is the OBD I program.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:06 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
I think the reason they go OBD I is becuase it is easier/cheaper to tune. and I know for a fact that the rear O2's are not what "caprice" was talking about. Did he make himself look dumb? nope... but you sure showed your own irnorance again. OBD II cars have a few more sensors, and features, and run ever so slightly different. like the way the Knock sensors work( I forget just how it's different) but I do know that the OBD I PCM needs a small mod.(to work with the differnt Knock sensor) you solder 2, 1 ohm resistors inline to 2 pins to correct the Knock sensors, then all you need is the OBD I program.

You don't have to solder anything in. Just turn off DTC 43. The knock sensor will work normally. My car makes close to 20 more rwhp with an OBD1 PCM, but on many other cars I have been able to make the same power either way. Cheaper software and cable is the biggest advantage.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

OBDI Is a lot easier to tune. All you need is a tune e-mailed to you and then you upload it with free software. OBDII you have to have something along the lines of LT1_Edit in order to upload it. I've actually never heard of a power difference between the two.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboZ28
OBDI Is a lot easier to tune. All you need is a tune e-mailed to you and then you upload it with free software. OBDII you have to have something along the lines of LT1_Edit in order to upload it. I've actually never heard of a power difference between the two.
Where do you get free software to upload it?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
Just some 19 year old punk!

uhhh huh....
And he mentioned sensors, none in particular.....

This forum is for people to ask questions... I am sure I could ask you a question that you would not know the answer to then I could start laughing at you... and from what Ed is saying who is a wll known tuner you are wrong in your soldering comment... OOPS! Please don't post unless you are very sure in your reply...

Yeah were is this free sofware....

Ed, I did not know you posted on here, when I get my car re-tuned do you think I should go 1 then?

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 10-02-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
uhhh huh....
And he mentioned sensors, none in particular.....

This forum is for people to ask questions... I am sure I could ask you a question that you would not know the answer to then I could start laughing at you...

Yeah were is this free sofware....

Ed, I did not know you posted on here, when I get my car re-tuned do you think I should go 1 then?
Unless you have a pretty wild combination, I don't see why you would. I'm not sure why I can't make the same power with mine with an OBD2 box in it. I have with several other cars. OBD2 is no harder to tune. Absolutely no reason it should be. What many don't seem to realize, is that the '94/'95 LT1 PCMs have a ton of unused OBD2 code in them. Just tables full of zeros, but they are there. No "stall wall" to contend with either, when using the later boxes.

Where does this free programming software come from?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The "free" OBD1 software is TunerPro, they have a donation option though which I would hope most choose to use.

OBD2 has a CPS and extra O2s as the big sensor differences the CPS makes missfires easier to trace and the extra O2s do not affect performance in any way so why would OBD1 be easier from a sensor standpoint????

I am running a OBD1 swap but as the intelligent folks here already covered that was for the cheaper tuning/logging it offered especially 4-5 years ago when I first began to play with it.

Quick Reply: OBD-II to OBD-I