LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I'm disappointed.... very disappointed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I only read the first page or two. The thread may have gotten better, but I didn't have patience to read all the posts.

LS1's stock and mildly modded make more power and are faster cars than LT1's. This is not a new discovery, I am stating the obvious. It's a new generation of engine and the GM powertrain engineering department would have be subject to a mass firing if they didn't make the new generation of engine better than the last.

Sometimes LS1 cars do not feel faster than LT1 cars for a couple reasons:

1. The LS1 is a much smoother running and reving motor. Remember the new firing order?

2. In the design of the new motor (LS1) and the newer F-bodies in general, GM engineers were tasked to greatly reduce NVH. That's engineer speak for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. Ever drive a top model Mercedes? Deceptively fast. Same thing to a lesser and cheaper degree with the LS1 over the LT1. They feel smoother and you are more isolated from the "hot rod" feel.

3. I haven't done any decibel level research, but I recall stock LT1's being a little louder than stock LS1's. Motor charateristics and probably differences between the stock exhaust systems. My wife's '00 B4C has a completely stock exhaust system (she won't let me touch it). As my memory serves, my '94 was noticeably louder when it was stock (that didn't last long, but long enough for me to gather impressions).

I remember when the LS1's were first hitting the streets. Me and my F-body club members were making fun of them! Boy, were we ignorant. I rode in and drove a club member's '98 Z28 and thought "yep, this thing is slower than my '94 was when I had a bunch of bolt-ons". Little did I know, but his car was probably capable of running the same 13.3-13.2 ET's that my LT1 did before I got into internal engine mods. His car just felt slower because it ran a lot smoother and accelerated with less drama than an LT1 car.

I'm not interested in debating the LTX vs. LSX thing at all, it's been debated ad nauseum in every car forum to the point that moderators should probably start banning people for trying to revive the debate. I got interested in posting here, because I thought it was important to point out WHY LS1's are deceptive when compared to LT1's.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
I remember when the LS1's were first hitting the streets. Me and my F-body club members were making fun of them!
That's funny, because when the LT1's first hit the streets, I drove on and laughed at it. It didn't feel as fast as a TPI 350!

Mike
Old 10-29-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TWS
OK, I only read the first page or two. The thread may have gotten better, but I didn't have patience to read all the posts.

LS1's stock and mildly modded make more power and are faster cars than LT1's. This is not a new discovery, I am stating the obvious. It's a new generation of engine and the GM powertrain engineering department would have be subject to a mass firing if they didn't make the new generation of engine better than the last.

Sometimes LS1 cars do not feel faster than LT1 cars for a couple reasons:

1. The LS1 is a much smoother running and reving motor. Remember the new firing order?

2. In the design of the new motor (LS1) and the newer F-bodies in general, GM engineers were tasked to greatly reduce NVH. That's engineer speak for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. Ever drive a top model Mercedes? Deceptively fast. Same thing to a lesser and cheaper degree with the LS1 over the LT1. They feel smoother and you are more isolated from the "hot rod" feel.

3. I haven't done any decibel level research, but I recall stock LT1's being a little louder than stock LS1's. Motor charateristics and probably differences between the stock exhaust systems. My wife's '00 B4C has a completely stock exhaust system (she won't let me touch it). As my memory serves, my '94 was noticeably louder when it was stock (that didn't last long, but long enough for me to gather impressions).

I remember when the LS1's were first hitting the streets. Me and my F-body club members were making fun of them! Boy, were we ignorant. I rode in and drove a club member's '98 Z28 and thought "yep, this thing is slower than my '94 was when I had a bunch of bolt-ons". Little did I know, but his car was probably capable of running the same 13.3-13.2 ET's that my LT1 did before I got into internal engine mods. His car just felt slower because it ran a lot smoother and accelerated with less drama than an LT1 car.

I'm not interested in debating the LTX vs. LSX thing at all, it's been debated ad nauseum in every car forum to the point that moderators should probably start banning people for trying to revive the debate. I got interested in posting here, because I thought it was important to point out WHY LS1's are deceptive when compared to LT1's.

well thank you for putting it all out in one package there. i guess that would make sense that the LS1 is faster. I think its wise that I just keep my eye out for one. How long do they last before needing a rebuild?

oh and ...

Originally Posted by TWS
I got interested in posting here, because I thought it was important to point out WHY LS1's are deceptive when compared to LT1's.
thank you for finally realizing what i was getting at! everyone and their mothers know that the LS1 is superior, but now that I have more an understanding of their intentions with the design, it makes alot more sense.

Last edited by Ironxcross; 10-29-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by engineermike
That's funny, because when the LT1's first hit the streets, I drove on and laughed at it. It didn't feel as fast as a TPI 350!

Mike

Lol you said didnt feel as fast as a TPI lol

They suck stock but can move when built right
Old 10-29-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Lol you said didnt feel as fast as a TPI lol

They suck stock but can move when built right
Laugh if you want, but it's the excact same thing that you guys are complaining about with the LS1. Sure, the LT1 has more low-end than the LS1, but the L98 has more low-end than the LT1. Check out the ratings:

Engine___hp_____torque

L98___245@4400__345@3200
LT1___275@5000__325@2400
LS1___305@5200__335@4000

Notice that a) the rpm at peak hp keeps moving up over time and b) the L98 surpasses the LT1 AND LS1 in peak torque. So, yes, the LT1 did feel slower than the 350 TPI.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

very interesting
Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course the LS motor is better, but not by THAT much. Anyway by the time you start building up internals it's more about who's geting the power to the ground better.

Quick Reply: I'm disappointed.... very disappointed...