LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

O2 issue did some tests have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 issue did some tests have a few questions

Bank 2 sensor 1. P0154 it's late i think that right but anyway it's a no activity on bank 2 sensor 1. I did a resistance test to check and make sure there were no broken wires between the pcm and the o2. I have tested the extension and from the pcm to the plug. I also did a voltage test (key on) and tested the purple wire for voltage and it showed 0.

THANKS
Old 02-18-2007, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE...

I have the sensor unplugged and been checking resistance between the pcm and the first plug. I did some more testing and with the propes solidly placed I showed 0 to .1 resistance on an auto multi-meter. If i probed and let it sit there without touching anything it would sit on 0 hit a wire or move it a little and it would jump to .1 same went for the extension. I re-checked voltage using the meter with the correct setting. I just bought the meter and have really never done anything like this before. I put the ground of the meter in the ground of the plug and tested each of the plugs pins. The The tan read 1.5v, the purple .8v, and the brown/pink is full voltage. I plugged the extension in and tested it the same way and it reads the exact same. The O2 sensors are brand new...

http://www.iequus.com/product_info.p...tegory_id=1_60

that is the meter i bought

i tested the plug between the tan and purple with key on and it had .668v
Old 02-18-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

well no good. all wires traced out, swapped the sensors, all voltage at plug with key on is good! Don't know what else I can do...
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

gonna swap the pcm out and see if i still have the problem...
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,
What is the car doing, that is making you check the o2's?

I am chassing a rough idle, and I believe my o2 on Bank 1 is going bad. The one on Bank 2 was replaced this summer, and it is the only thing left that I can think to check. I was reading in Cheltons about testing the resistance on the brown and black wire and I was going to do that this weekend. As for the voltage thing, I wasn't sure about that. I will have to re read that part again. I may need to PM you for some more details on how you tested. But I remember reading something about if you check voltage on them or something you can mess up the sensor....

Like I said, I need to re read it again, but sounds like we are fighting the same thing.

-bryan
Old 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

well i never tested the sensor it self. All my testing was done to verify signals were reaching the plug to the sensor. I thought my problem was a burnt wire. I ordered a pcm update from ion to include the 4.10's I am installing and do ing a core exchange. If the problem goes away i throw the old computer away if it doesn't change anything then I send the old one back to Ion for refund. What an awesome guy!!!

What i tested was that the brown wire provided full 12 volts to the o2 at key on and that each of the other wires passed a continuity test.

I was told if you are to ohm test the 02 sensor yourself you need a tester that is megaohm capable to keep from ruining the sensor...

Also I have been told by many that both 02's should be replaced at the same time no matter what. When i pulled the 02's out one was stock and one wasn't so this in it self could have caused the problem and appears to be something we have in common.

Is you check engine lite on cause mine is and I am getting code po154 which is the code for the front pass. sensor...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I have no code....
I have only seen that thing come on once or twice in my life, so if its even working is questionable, lol. But I will be testing mine tomorrow afternoon. I am pretty certain that the sensor is my problem. We will see though.

-bryan
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

well when you start the car up the lite should lite for a few seconds...If it doesn't then you got a problem there...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

you prolly knew that sorry...
Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

IIRC,the O2 sensor generates voltage anywhere from 0-5 volts, so all you really could do is check the wires for continuity......as far as the megaohm setting on the sensor itself,I've never heard of that(not to say it doesnt exist though) but our meters at school self adjusted on the ohms setting yours may as well.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

The Chiltons manual is where I read about testing the o2's.

We will see tomorrow.

-bryan
Old 02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

i heard the megaohm thing from a master yoda of lt1's on another board...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

just went and bought a delco o2 from pontiac dealer $86.

They had a guy there that specialized in Lt1's.

He was working on a 69 Z28 with a lt1 conversion as we were talkin.

He told me the delco o2 might fix it. The 69 he replaced one with a delco and that problem went away.

He also told me that he worked on a 96 that had the same problem only it was killing the 02 sensor about every 2 months. He found the plug oil soaked. He replaced the plug and problem went away.

So i am going to pull the 02 out put in the new delco and clean that plug up cause it was oil soaked and order a new extension.

He said everything else i did was right on and exatcly what he would do as far as tracing wires, replacing items with gm parts, and doing continuity test on the wires.

I have a new found hope! And if i can't get it I know I have a local guy at the stealership that knows his lt1's...If it comes to that it would be money well spent to know someone that knows these cars is working onit and not just some oil change boy that isn't busy.

Quick Reply: O2 issue did some tests have a few questions