LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

anyone mount Delteq on firewall

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007 | 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone mount Delteq on firewall

i have the valve cover setup and it looked neat at first but i would rather have it kinda hidden and out of the road.. anyone mount it underneath the cowl area behind the motor? pictures if so.
Old 02-27-2007 | 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, I will see what I can do about some pic's.
Old 02-27-2007 | 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

cool thanks
Old 02-28-2007 | 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen a picture of somebody that did that but cant find the post now. I feel the same way about mine, and would like to try and hide it somewhere but, still keep it conveniant for running wires. Actually, if you mounted it on the firewall, you could probably use over the valve cover brackets for the wires in a reverse fashion.
Old 02-28-2007 | 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't mount it to the firewall, but to the underside of the cowl panel:

The valve cover mount kit comes with an "L" shaped metal bracket that they call the heat shield. That's what I used to mount it with. It's been a few years since I did this, but I think I originally tried to mount it to the firewall but there wasn't enough clearance between it and the China wall on the intake manifold. So I just mounted it up and over.

I've got my engine out now for a rebuild, but I'm going to fab up a bracket that will mount the coilpack to the two rear intake manifold bolt holes via studs, so that the Delteq and the engine will be one single unit.
Old 02-28-2007 | 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hyperzone
Actually, if you mounted it on the firewall, you could probably use over the valve cover brackets for the wires in a reverse fashion.
You can also remove the wires from the valve covers altogether, make them almost completely hidden, and add more bling to the engine bay in the process:

Old 02-28-2007 | 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

how you have them mounted is what i meant. who polished your heads?? thats another good idea to mount it that way. can't picture what you mean though exactly? my motor is removed as well but i would figure i would have to wait till it was installed to mount the coils as the ywould be in the road of the motor being put back in..
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im liking the polishing , I know the work that goes into that. I know you made ends for the front of the heads, but how did you mount them to the head?
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94blownz281
how you have them mounted is what i meant. thats another good idea to mount it that way. can't picture what you mean though exactly? my motor is removed as well but i would figure i would have to wait till it was installed to mount the coils as the ywould be in the road of the motor being put back in..
Which way are you asking about?

If you're asking how I mounted it to the cowl: all I did was drill holes in the four corners of the heat shield, then mocked it up on the cowl to figure out the best position, then marked the location of the holes with a paint marker. Then I used a drill with a 90* right angle attachment to get the drill bit up underneath. But that was with the engine still in the car. If your engine is out, it'll be alot easier to get it mounted. The only thing that would be sort've a pain about doing it with the engine out is that if you don't get it set in just the right spot, it may interfere with something on the engine during re-installation.

If you're asking about mounting it to the intake: the bracket that comes with the Delteq that mounts it to the valve cover counts as the majority of the structure that'll hold it on. All I intended to do was get a 16 or 14 gauge sheet of aluminum stock and cut it to the same width as the coil bracket, with just enough length to spare on either end to reach the adjacent rear corner bolt holes on the intake. Then stick it in a vice and bend the exposed ends to match up with the angle of the intake mating flange on either side. Then just drill a hole in either end and use studs instead of bolts on those two back corner intake bolt holes, and secure the new plate to the studs with nuts.

I don't have any pics because I haven't gotten far enough to make it yet, but it's alot less complicated than it sounds.

Originally Posted by 94blownz281
who polished your heads??
Me.

Originally Posted by PunishedU
I know you made ends for the front of the heads, but how did you mount them to the head?
I just used high temp epoxy. The kind that comes with the two "syringe" looking tubes that you have to mix together after you squirt it out. It's 425*F heat resistant.
Old 03-01-2007 | 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Alright i will figure something out after i paint my engine bay. it must have took you along time to polish your heads.. thing is how are you going to keep them polished all the time? from your engine heating and cooling that will cause some moisture on them.

i could always mount them onto my HVAC delete plate or in that area..

Quick Reply: anyone mount Delteq on firewall