LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Cooling Fans

This happened to me earlier today, I saw something on it recently..
For some reason they stopped working. The Relay's were good, the Fuses were good, everything was good, even the Sensor/Switch on front of the Water Pump. I fixed it by splicing the wire to the Fuse/Relay Box there to one side of the Fan Circuit, and then grounding the other side. They come on and run constantly when the Key is turned to the on position. I am putting in in-line Fuses and a switch, so then it will be good. As far as I am concerned, it fixed that problem. It was a little work, but it's done and easy to troubleshoot.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you built your own fan mod sounds like. Yeah why not? They can drop the temp to come on @160 or whatever you like, or bypass with a switch so I think it'll be fine.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

I just have it hard-wired for now, I have to get the other one in tomorrow, the bracket broke off of it, so I am running one for now.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Can you get any pics of your handy work? You posted on my other thread so you know i'm having some issues with the fans not turning on. It's incredible how vital those things are to cooling!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Hey I had that same problem. I actually wired mine to my fog light switch since I don't have any fog lights.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you wired in differently than if you had properly working fans and wanted a manual fan switch? I spliced my switch into the wires coming out of the PCM I think. I had no fan issues, just wanted to manually work my fans.

I used a black plastic switch for mine, it was a double throw double pole type, don't know for Merv's mod, but normally you have to wire up the high and low speed to the switch. I mounted the switch in the little panel that holds the cig lighter. I'd post a pic, but my shifter handle is in the way.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, i'll have to screw around with it a little. I'm not to excited to buy a $60 manual fan switch.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ock462
Hey I had that same problem. I actually wired mine to my fog light switch since I don't have any fog lights.
I am still looking into that one, it shouldn't be hard to do. Mine works for now, so I am probably going to leave it alone.

The wires I used are under the Fuse box there.. I spliced into the orange 12g wire going to the Fan Fuse, and used the 2 wires coming off of the Fans going to that box(did a little wire tracing). Then I grounded the 2 other wires on the fans that weren't used.

On the other side of that Orange wire is a Brown wire. That one is hot when the Fuse is in, so I spliced into that one with the Blue and Green wires which are connected to the Relays, and eventually go over to the plug that goes to the Computer. I made them Hot wires, and took the ones out on the Harness side of that Plug. I did this so I can have some extra power wires there for when I do my LSX Conversion. The Brown one there also goes over to the other side, so I have 3 extra hot wires there now that can come in handy.
My *** needs a second job..
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merv, I dont know if you have seen this or not. Someone sent this to me once and I would still like to do at some point to my car.

Fan Switch

-bryan
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, words for the wise; before you waste hours trying to get your fans to turn on check your fuses!
That's all it was, soon as I replaced it the primary came right on.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I was thinking more about doing this to my car when I do my gauges. That link I posted says to tap into the line from the PCM. If I do that, will that allow the fans to come on when the PCM says to do so?

Why couldn't I just find a powersourse, like the cig lighter, and just run juice from it to the fans, through a switch? Would there be any thing against doing that?

-bryan
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The deal with the manual fan switch is, I believe is that you provide it a ground.
You will need a double pole double throw switch. Yes if you wire it up like the shbox diagram above, your fans will still work like normal if you forget to turn them on yourself.

I did this and love it, I flip them on when I'm stuck at a red light or waiting in line at the track. My temp gauge rarely sees above 180 anymore.

I didn't install the LEDs, so I can't tell you about that, I just remember that when I flip the switch up I have it for high speed fans, and when I flip it down its for low speed.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Mine both spin on high when the Key comes on, it works for me.. I used them Relay Wires as extra hot wires anyways. Those are nice to have extra of.

Originally Posted by sworaz
LOL, words for the wise; before you waste hours trying to get your fans to turn on check your fuses!
That's all it was, soon as I replaced it the primary came right on.
Did that already there clown.. and the whole Circuit was messed up somewhere. Why you got to be that guy..J/P
Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Reckon there was a short in the pigtails? When I bought my Z, someone had hard wired the fans with a manual switch and cut the factory harnesses all to ****. While I was tearing it apart, I discovered the water pump temp sensor was broken off so the dummies did all that mess instead of just replacing the sensor. I'm not entirely sure I've got their mess straightened out since I have only put about 50 miles on that car. That wiring diagram is great though so I might have to use it if I can't make it work the way I want it to.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
Did that already there clown.. and the whole Circuit was messed up somewhere. Why you got to be that guy..J/P
, lol, yeah i'm the clown because I didn't check my fuses and that's all it was. I think I still want to get some type of manual switch hooked up, for when I decide to really drive it hard!

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans