LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where to buy low CR pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy low CR pistons

I am interested in lowering the CR on my LT1 to about 8.5:1 or so for a new project. Anyone know where I can get some pistons for this? I have looked at Jegs and Summit and if they're there I missed them... ?

thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd looked for some too for my T76 install. Some of the list vendors posted prices to me for some Diamond Pistons.
They will probably be in contact with you via PM soon.

Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth
I am interested in lowering the CR on my LT1 to about 8.5:1 or so for a new project. Anyone know where I can get some pistons for this? I have looked at Jegs and Summit and if they're there I missed them... ?

thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thunder Racing in the LT1 section under engine parts/pistons has some nice blower pistons, up to -31cc I believe.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

thanks.
Im selling my "other" shortblock if your interested. With trickflow 62cc heads and felpro 1074(.039") the compression will be around 8.39:1. Its a 355, stock crank, forged Ibeams and SRP -24cc inverted dome blower pistons, 2 bolt mains studded. It has zero miles on it.no cam...all bearings are installed, rotating assembly is balanced and installed. Im looking to get 2k for the bottom end with no accessories. For 2500 ill add everything needed minus the cam to complete the lower end of the motor.(including the starter, opti, alternator,oil pan, new oil pump,all gaskets, 96 timing cover new with seals installed,timing gears and new timing chain,and complete felpro bottom end seals)I paid almost 3k for the bottom end without any of the accessories, and I planned on putting it in my car this weekend but I might get an LS1 now. block is out of my 96 LT1 and all used parts have 38k miles on them.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know if the LT1 pistons are special? I haven't looked too far into it yet, but SBC stuff usually is the cheapest and I am not sure if the LT1's are different from your garden variety SBC pistons....?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm comfortable stating that they are the same. You just have to keep in mind that the combustion chamber size of our LT1's are about the smallest in the SBC family. Most stated compression ratios in the ads are based on a more generous combustion chamber. When you get a quote from a vendor, tell them your target compression ratio in the context of an LTx motor and you should be good to go. In order for them to completely accurate in the static compression prediction they need to know an **** amount of info like:

1. Desired compression Ratio

2. Bore

3. Stroke

4. Normally aspirated or Blown/Turbo (The ring pack is farther down the piston for B/T designations so the crevice area is greater)

5. Combustion chamber size in CC

6. Compressed Head Gasket thickness

7. If the block is zero decked. If not, what is the setting?

There's some automotive formula's out there to calculate this but I just prefer emailing the Vendor with my specs and let him calc it out.

Anyone know if the LT1 pistons are special? I haven't looked too far into it yet, but SBC stuff usually is the cheapest and I am not sure if the LT1's are different from your garden variety SBC pistons....?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. That helps a lot.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Snyper
Im selling my "other" shortblock if your interested. With trickflow 62cc heads and felpro 1074(.039") the compression will be around 8.39:1. Its a 355, stock crank, forged Ibeams and SRP -24cc inverted dome blower pistons, 2 bolt mains studded. It has zero miles on it.no cam...all bearings are installed, rotating assembly is balanced and installed. Im looking to get 2k for the bottom end with no accessories. For 2500 ill add everything needed minus the cam to complete the lower end of the motor.(including the starter, opti, alternator,oil pan, new oil pump,all gaskets, 96 timing cover new with seals installed,timing gears and new timing chain,and complete felpro bottom end seals)I paid almost 3k for the bottom end without any of the accessories, and I planned on putting it in my car this weekend but I might get an LS1 now. block is out of my 96 LT1 and all used parts have 38k miles on them.
how the hell you pay 3k for the bottom with nothing???? i was gunna do exactly that plus cam kit with a slight hookup on my motor for 2k done!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragframe
how the hell you pay 3k for the bottom with nothing???? i was gunna do exactly that plus cam kit with a slight hookup on my motor for 2k done!

new crank(i had it but i dont know what they cost new 150?)
600$new pistons
100$ plasma moly rings
280$new rods
200$ all new bearings and oil pump
100$?(cant remember) for the studs
1500$ for machine work..balance bore, align hone.. and it was done by a very well respected machineshop..I didnt skimp on where I got it done to save a buck to know it was done right.

so 2900$? give or take...plus the cost of having to buy another block....(or if you already have one sell it to help defer the cost)

Last edited by Snyper; 04-12-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

oops...

Quick Reply: Where to buy low CR pistons