LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

belt just CAME off when i whipped a u turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default belt just CAME off when i whipped a u turn

I was in a local city last night trying to get some stuff at walmart(it was late) and decided to go cruise downtown once before i left town. As i whipped a u turn i realised it was gonna be tight and i gave it gas to get the *** to kick around. Well i gave it gas, let off and gave it more to go the other direction. I don't know if the fact that i blipped the gas pedal made the belt tighten, loosen and pop off but the belt came off. I just cleaned the car out earlier that day and left my little tool case out. Ran BACK to walmart(about 5 miles) on no belt and bought a small tool set and put the belt back on. The thing i was wondering is WHY did it do that? It's done it once before, doing the same thing as this time. it didn't wreck the belt and i checked all the pulleys and none of them are loose or wobbling at all. They all run straight like they should.... Not big deal i just wonder why it did it. I just told people at walmart that it makes so much HP and TRQ. that when i whipped it around it popped the belt off
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My caprice does the same damn thing, really sucks when wanting to do donuts cause it comes off everytime, so i just take it off before i decide to raise a lil hell just to keep from messing it up. But yeah no clue why it does it
Old 04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

have either of you every tried to replace the belt tensioner itself, maybe the spring is weak

but heck atleast if it does happen the guys with lt1's can drive back to the walmart to get tools instead of walking, one nice thing about having gear driven water pump
Old 04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
one nice thing about having gear driven water pump
this is true, i once popped the damn pulley off my power steering pump (reman.) doing a donut, one friggin donut, then had to drive 15 miles home with no power steering. uhhhh, that was fun.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me back a few years ago when I was doing donuts. Ended up being that my Harmonic Balancer had broken into two pieces, but you already checked your pulleys so I'm not sure.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try replacing the tensioner as said above...
Old 04-27-2007, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

same thing happend to me, turns out it was the tensioner. I could literally just pull the belt off by giving it a good tug, the new tensioner was pretty cheap so its no biggie. Took about 5-10 min to install so its worth a shot before you risk damaging something or have your belt come off on a turn at high speeds(no pwr brakes/steering). Not fun at all, but I managed to get home safely without a belt.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
same thing happend to me, turns out it was the tensioner. I could literally just pull the belt off by giving it a good tug, the new tensioner was pretty cheap so its no biggie. Took about 5-10 min to install so its worth a shot before you risk damaging something or have your belt come off on a turn at high speeds(no pwr brakes/steering). Not fun at all, but I managed to get home safely without a belt.
when the belt comes off in our cars we still still have power brakes. we have vaccum power booster not hydraulic which are connected to the ps pump.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

my bad, must of been drunk or something that I thought the brakes were hydraulic. But it was about 1-2AM when it happend so that might have been the reason why I thought the brakes were out, thanks for the correction though.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
my bad, must of been drunk or something that I thought the brakes were hydraulic. But it was about 1-2AM when it happend so that might have been the reason why I thought the brakes were out, thanks for the correction though.
haha yea were not driven deisels. heck i dont even have ps/pb
Old 04-28-2007, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if replacing the tensioner doesnt work check your pulleys and make sure it is routed right and that none of your pulleys have odd wear on them. If you still find nothing...fab up an alignment fork or osmething for it maybe?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Yup

My buddys ls1 kept throwing hid belt and he replaced the tensioner and hasent happen since.

Quick Reply: belt just CAME off when i whipped a u turn