LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C Firewall Stuff, removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

It can..but you will have some fun with it. Have some extra Tools nearby to replace the ones that you throw.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few more pics of the process.

Shows what it looks like once you have it out, but before cutting.

Then where you have to notch that area for the air to blow through, since normally it goes out through the a/c area and then back in.

I cut off the part over the trans hump too, I wanted that space for the pcm, fuseblocks, etc.

Relocated the fan resistor pack so it would still be in the airflow.
Attached Thumbnails A/C Firewall Stuff, removal-dscf0119.jpg   A/C Firewall Stuff, removal-dscf0120.jpg   A/C Firewall Stuff, removal-dscf0122.jpg   A/C Firewall Stuff, removal-dscf0198.jpg   A/C Firewall Stuff, removal-dscf0231.jpg  

Last edited by John_D.; 01-19-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't taken on of these boxes apart before, but is there ANY way to relocate the coolant lines going in to the box after you remove the evaportor and under-hood A/C box?

if the heater hoses could be relocated down lower, along the "frame rail" it would make things look a WHOLE lot cleaner, imo.

I might toy around with this when I pull my motor to get freshened up. I think it makes things look 10-times better under the hood.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just take it all out. More room, less weight.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did this but my heat output is ridiculously reduced, I can't stay even moderately comfortable in the car in the winter. It stays cold at every heater setting and the air blowing out the vents you can barely feel. Did I maybe hook up something wrong? I haven't been able to find anything yet.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the flapper inside the box isn't opening. Make sure you have the small black vacuum line still hooked up to a vacuum source on the engine.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the vacuum line is still hooked up to the T in the engine bay and everything appears on the up and up. Any other ideas?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking the amount of air flow you're getting is the root of the problem.

Did you block off the opening to the cowl, where the fresh air intake is? The blower will try to pull air from the cowl, unless you have the selector on Max AC, then it will pull cabin air. If that opening is blocked the blower won't be able to pull any air. If you want cabin air all the time, take off that piece that goes on top of the blower.

Can you hear the flapper move when you move the selector from AC to heat?

Did you make a place for the air to go around, between the blower and the heater core?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by John_D.
A few more pics of the process.

Shows what it looks like once you have it out, but before cutting.

Then where you have to notch that area for the air to blow through, since normally it goes out through the a/c area and then back in.

I cut off the part over the trans hump too, I wanted that space for the pcm, fuseblocks, etc.

Relocated the fan resistor pack so it would still be in the airflow.
Just curious as to when you moved the resistor...Can you still get to it where it is fairly easy or is it gonna be a PITA? I would probably move mine as well. But where to I wouldn't know! Just wondering if it was to go bad if you'd have to pull the box out or just remove the panel under the hood??
Thanks and it looks good BTW.

And so does everyone else's too!

And Merv thanks for the write ups on how to do this. You helped out a buddy of mine when he did his and we're getting ready to put his car back together in the next few weeks so it will be done for the shootout!
Just bought a new dash for it b/c someone broke in and stole his radio, and demolished his dash. While we were pulling the dash out of another camaro at the Junkyard we took out the Air Bag....And to let everyone know, That thing prolly weighs about 20 lbs. It was pretty heavy! (Weight Reduction Guys')
Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
...curious as to when you moved the resistor...Can you still get to it where it is fairly easy or is it gonna be a PITA? ...Just wondering if it was to go bad if you'd have to pull the box out or just remove the panel under the hood??
Thanks and it looks good BTW.
Thanks.

The panel is sandwiched between the box and the firewall (it's on the dash side of the firewall, so to get the panel out, the box would have to come out.

Fortunately neither one has to come out to get to the resistors. Just the cover over the heater core. What I don't remember is if the heater core overlaps them at all. If it does, it's just by a little. Enough that just loosening the heater core and letting it shift over a little would clear it.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
And Merv thanks for the write ups on how to do this. You helped out a buddy of mine when he did his and we're getting ready to put his car back together in the next few weeks so it will be done for the shootout!
No prob man..glad you guys got it all together.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John_D.
I'm thinking the amount of air flow you're getting is the root of the problem.

Did you block off the opening to the cowl, where the fresh air intake is? The blower will try to pull air from the cowl, unless you have the selector on Max AC, then it will pull cabin air. If that opening is blocked the blower won't be able to pull any air. If you want cabin air all the time, take off that piece that goes on top of the blower.

Can you hear the flapper move when you move the selector from AC to heat?

Did you make a place for the air to go around, between the blower and the heater core?

The area I cut out looks to be about the same size as the pics you posted. It maybe a bit smaller. I don't believe I've blocked off the opening on the cowl. All the parts are stock up there. Flapper sounds like it's moving.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if you guys discussed this, but what is the electrical wire at the center of the HVAC housing? If I remember correctly, it was a sensor going to the evaporator.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds good. Just wondered about the resistor and what it would take replace it if you ever had to change it.
Thanks Again.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Teching In

i did this mod and sealed it up great and the heat is hot and everything and you can hear the blower motor switching speeds but it only comes out of the vents as if it is on low setting any help?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not sealed then. Only answer.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Teching In

i put mine in the engine bay and i used rubber to seal underneath it...any other suggestions then?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you hook up the vacuum line for the HVAC?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Yes i did that's why i didnt get it???
Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you cut a passage way from the blower motor to the heater core?

Quick Reply: A/C Firewall Stuff, removal