LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anybody who's bought an Ai heads/cam package inside please

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody who's bought an Ai heads/cam package inside please

Looking at Ai's LT1 head packages page, I noticed that in the description for the 185cc heads, it lists "Any CompCams Custom grind camshaft included!" But then when you get down to their 190 and 200cc heads, it says "Ai Billet Custom grind camshaft included!"

I'm wondering why they would use CompCams cams for one head, and (I guess?) their own in-house ground camshafts for another head? Depending on the circumstances, I've found that "custom grind" can mean different things to different people. For example, "custom" can mean:

1. The customer chooses his own cam specs, (or at least has input on), that suit his own individual goals. (RPM range, emissions, gas mileage, etc.) This may or may not take full advantage of the head's airflow potential.

2. The head porter determines what specs will make the most power for the given flow characteristics of the heads, and "custom" grinds it to match. This may or may not meet the buyer's individual requirements. (RPM range, emissions, gas mileage, etc.)

So what's the verdict? Why the distinction between "CompCams" and "Ai" custom grind, and do they allow you to spec your own camshaft?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compcams referes to a comp cam specified grind like CC306. They would help you choose which ever is best for your setup. The Ai grinds are billet core cams. The price goes up for the billet core and the propritery work that went into the design. The lobes, lifts etc are all different on the Ai spec cams than would be a standard CC306 or xfi230 etc.

As for specing your own, I would assume that they would. But I caution you on that idea. Purchase what they recommend. They do this for a living and know what works best, have them do the work. Wether they tell you what CC to pick or which of their custom cams would work best...go with what they suggest.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
Compcams referes to a comp cam specified grind like CC306.
Yeah I was afraid of that. The term "custom grind" is getting used a little too loosely here lately it seems. IMHO, if you're selling me a cam that I could otherwise buy off the shelf, even if it happens to be the perfect cam for my requirements, the best you could advertise it as is "custom advised."
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure they are tweaking cam specs off of shelf grinds to work with their cams. Call them and ask and see what they say.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats the web site for AI,i tried a search but couldnt find it.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

NON SPONSOR INFO REMOVED

Last edited by Speed Density; 06-28-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The comp cams custom grind is still a custom but using comp lobes like most custom makes they have a lobe library of of different manufactures and they will select what best to match it wont be any off the shelf grind. Just like mine in my sig its a custom using comp lobes but you can just go to there site and order it.

There other custom is using there own spec'd lobes not another manufactures. also you can upgrade to there custom billet with the 180cc head set-up if you want anyway.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
The comp cams custom grind is still a custom but using comp lobes like most custom makes they have a lobe library of of different manufactures and they will select what best to match it wont be any off the shelf grind. Just like mine in my sig its a custom using comp lobes but you can just go to there site and order it.

There other custom is using there own spec'd lobes not another manufactures. also you can upgrade to there custom billet with the 180cc head set-up if you want anyway.

I agree with all of this. My explanation made it sound as if they were giving you a CC306 when I meant to say they use comp lobes/specs to create a cam best suited to your application.

I highly reccomend you call them for further clarification. They are busy, but do a fantastic job anwsering questions.

As for the website, I won't post non sponsor info, but the company's full name is AdvancedInduction which should help your search.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought they were a sponsor, and I see them get mentioned so much that I didn't give it a second thought otherwise I wouldn't have posted that link.

Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Anybody who's bought an Ai heads/cam package inside please