LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running rich!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Running rich!

My 96 formula is running rich. If I up the fuel pressure on the aeromotive regulator will I lean it out a little? I have always had a problem with the car running rich. Its been mailorder tuned and adjusted about 5 times. I just want to lean it out a little because it is at a stoiac 14.1-1.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ladybird
My 96 formula is running rich. If I up the fuel pressure on the aeromotive regulator will I lean it out a little? I have always had a problem with the car running rich. Its been mailorder tuned and adjusted about 5 times. I just want to lean it out a little because it is at a stoiac 14.1-1.
I don't think that upping the fuel pressure will help it lean out. It could be the tune itself, why not look into getting a dyno tune? Mailorder tune are 'educated guesses' at best. There is no replacement for a dynotune when you can adjust everything throughout the powerband with live air/fuel readings.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is your coolant temperature sensor working correctly?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Talking

sensor is working properly and I want to do a dynotune, but nobody around where I live in mass does dynotunes.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

New England Dyno in Douglass on Rt. 16 does LT1 dyno tuning.....My car is there now waiting to be dynoed. The only thing is the car may be there a while because they use LT1 edit and the 96/97 need a pcm upgrade (so im told by the guy there). So hopefully your formula isnt a daily driver.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ladybird
Stoichiometric is 14.7:1. You only want to achieve that AFR when cruising. Lowering the fuel pressure would lean you out some but you don't want to tune with that. You want to tune your fueling through the PCM. Anyone know what WOT AFR would be ideal? I'm gonna tune mine for 12.5:1 but I wanted it kinda fat for nitrous.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Stoichiometric is 14.7:1. You only want to achieve that AFR when cruising. Lowering the fuel pressure would lean you out some but you don't want to tune with that. You want to tune your fueling through the PCM. Anyone know what WOT AFR would be ideal? I'm gonna tune mine for 12.5:1 but I wanted it kinda fat for nitrous.
Besides the initial lean spike on the hit, my car stays dead on 11.8:1 until I let out.

Mid-High 11:1 is good to shoot for. Funny you mention that, it took playing with multiple jet sizes to be sure. I'll never just put in 'recommended' jets for a hit of nitrous again. Wideband ???.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
Besides the initial lean spike on the hit, my car stays dead on 11.8:1 until I let out.

Mid-High 11:1 is good to shoot for. Funny you mention that, it took playing with multiple jet sizes to be sure. I'll never just put in 'recommended' jets for a hit of nitrous again. Wideband ???.
I didn't know if he'd want it that fat for a bolt-on car (sounds like it). However on mine, I am kinda wondering if I should get mine down to 12:1 instead of 12.5:1. I read in a few places that would be good for a nitrous motor. Guess I'll try to get it to 12:1.