LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got damned this overheating lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got damned this overheating lt1

Yet another problem from my car.damn this lt1 lol (dad im sorri but this damn car is givin me problems) well today i was in the drivethru at dairy queen and i see steam coming from my car i turned it off instantly, looked at the gauge and im in the red zone. So after i get my food i go to this big *** parking lot across the street pop the hood and the antifreeze is boiling its *** off right out of the reservoir. I call my boi txhotboi972(member here) too see if he could help me, i told him where i was and he said he will be at the autozone (which is 500 ft away) shortly.

We get there check the car go to my house which i was affraid to do but the car had cooled down abit. (btw his car sounds like a monster big cam) So when we get there he took out the thermostat. He told me to leave it out for awhile and start the car to see if it would effect the temperature or make it cool down a bit. It didnt do anything but make the car worse.

SO these are the ideas that could be causing the car to do this ****.

1.new thermostat

2.Radiator problems

3.Water pump problems

4 The thing that covers the thermostat wont close all the way due to a screw not going in he twisted it and it wont get tighter at all there was some otherstuff he said. But i forgot. But imma try to get more info soon but what do yall think is wrong with it.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were both your fans running?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

i dont kno lol i think so when it overheated. matter of fact my fans dont even work anymore.

Last edited by That_guy; 07-25-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

come on guys what wrong with the car. when we took the elbow and stuff off. The antifreeze was coming out of the water pump.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Launching!

Have you already swapped the oh so shitty stock thermostat to a 160? And its not a good thing that fans ARENT working a car that is so inclined to overheating.

So did taking the stock thermo out help any? If so, then you need to replace it with a 160 at autozone ($15)... Then get those damned fans working...

-justin
Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, ummm

you might want to fix the fans for shure.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Teching In

maybe the thermostat, which would be good to change anyways, but i think unlikey. is the water pump leaking out of the weep hole underneath it? that's the first sign of a bad pump. it's not good that the screw is stripped out and not making a proper seal either. when you fill the system, are you opening up the little air release screw at the highest point of the system? its on the hose going to the top of the pump. you want to open it as your filling the system, and when water starts to come out, screw it back down....it allows all the air to escape the system to prevent air lock. I've gone through 2 water pumps and the whole overheating, boiling water thing too..lol...just a few things to know that might help. good luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Teching In

oh yeah, the fans. you definately need those working too!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

If your fans are not working, you will overheat, especially while sitting in the drivethru. Get them working and I suspect your problems will go away. Voice of experience; I caught a plastic bread wrapper in one of mine, which burned out the motor. While driving it was O.K., but while sitting idling it would overheat. And this was with one fan; with no fans it would have been much worse.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
If your fans are not working, you will overheat, especially while sitting in the drivethru. Get them working and I suspect your problems will go away. Voice of experience; I caught a plastic bread wrapper in one of mine, which burned out the motor. While driving it was O.K., but while sitting idling it would overheat. And this was with one fan; with no fans it would have been much worse.

YUP- these cars need air BAD. You can get a tune and lower the fan on temps..

Mine are just hotwired so they stay on all the time.. even on the hottest days - with my car with a 180 thermo my car doest get above 194...
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You kinda answered your own question. If your fans dont work, that is why you are overheating. There will be no airflow over the radiator when sitting still, that is why the fans are needed.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

ok need new fans and a thermostat. and the antifreeze was coming from above the opti where the thermostat should be
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't go into parts replacement mode.
First, hotwire the fans. If they still do not run, replace them. There are also relays to each fan; they could be faulty instead. Verify first, then replace.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

ok cool so how do i hotwire them and they went out when i had the air on.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by That_guy
ok need new fans and a thermostat. and the antifreeze was coming from above the opti where the thermostat should be
Duh you stripped the bolt hole out. It's not sealing so it's leaking out the housing. Buy a tap and chase it.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by That_guy
ok cool so how do i hotwire them and they went out when i had the air on.
Take your relays out of the fuse box for the fans and take a piece of wire and stick each end down in the holes. I can't remember which two exactly but fish the wire around different combinations for that one relay with the key on and the fan will kick on when you find the right two (provided the fan works). Or if you can figure out the diagram on the side of the relay, it will tell you which two make the connection.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Diagnosing a car problems with that_guy,this should get VERY interesting. He is best friends with ex-member stevensbike27
Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Hahahaha no the **** im not friends with him lol. that 6 cylinder faster cause of it bein lighter was funny as hell tho.
Btw i was goin to get a 160 tstat but my uncle was like the car is designed to use the parts it came with. makin it run colder will **** some **** up. i didnt want to argue with him but a 160tstat is better than a 180 replacement right.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

One is no better than the other. Just depends on what your goals are. Just pick one, it's not really gonna make a difference for what you are doing.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could install a manual fan switch that u turn on when u get in the car..

Quick Reply: Got damned this overheating lt1