LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ceramic Coated Vs Black finished LT's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Well, we can all agree that cooler is better.
Maybe at first thier isn't much difference, but painted headers are junk IMO unless its a strict track toy, and even then I would get coated/stainless.

With painted headers, you get MUCH more heat. And after awhile, the crappy paint wears off making the already hot running headers even hotter.

Not only is this hurting youu HP numbers, it can damage other parts and sooner or later youre going to have to take them off and replace them/coat them anyways.
I can't even begin to explain how many people I have seen get Painted headers only to swap them out a year later.
Its a temptation that needs to be restrained.

You can say all you want about wrapping the headers, and what not, but the simple fact is, High Temp Coated Headers run cooler and help your engine get more power then painted, whether the difference is drastic or not. They last longer, they look better, and they are plain and simple the better buy.

If youre in the market for headers, Jet Hot LT's are a great choice, because Jet Hot coats both the inside and out of thier headers, unlike Pacesetter who only coats the outside, and thier 'Sterling' coating is proven to last several years.
I'm not against painted headers, but I am not for them either.
Coated or Stainless is the way to go.
I will agree with the coated headers being a better buy. Next time around I might get stainless headers anyways. But if you wrap them like I did, the heat wrap does exactly what it does... keep the heat in. And its obvious when you drive the car and you can actually touch the headers after driving around. In my case I had to several time to tighten the bolts for them.

My snowmobile exhaust was coated with Jet Hot soon after It was purchased. That stuff is awesome stuff! If anyone knows anything about snowmobiles then they know how long the black paint lasts on then exhaust... pretty much only a 1 or 2 rides. I think you are way better off have the uncoated exhaust sent out and coated by Jet Hot then buying them already done. Only because I think its done with much more quality in mind (and perhaps a much thicker coating). My snowmobile... no rust after 8 years! My friends coated pacestters, spots of rust after 2 years.

Last edited by B4CZR2; 07-31-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
How's that working out? I kinda wish I had done that.

Just a follow up I did this to my car a year and a half and 25,000 miles ago the same way I did B4CZR2's headers and they still have no rust on them (even under the wrap itself) And that is after keeping the car on the road through January in typical northeast snowy weather. And his headers will probably last longer because I feel they turned out better than when I did mine. The key is the black silicone coating you can get through DEI that seals the moisture from the headers.

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
header wrap voids most warranties on headers, but the way i see it....whats going to go wrong with headers anyway that a warranty would cover. (once you get them on and sealed)
The EGR hookup on the passenger side header on the Pacesetters I wrapped snapped off at the weld idling in my driveway about 3 weeks ago.......Serves me right for buying the emissions hookup version for a car that never came with EGR and I ripped the A.I.R. pump off of. Stainless steel QTP race headers for me next spring.

but the simple fact is....They last longer, they look better, and they are plain and simple the better buy
Thats a matter of opinion not fact. I personally like the all-business look of black headers over the shiny show-car look of ceramic coating, however I would agree that for most people the ceramic coating will be a better buy because it costs damn near the same and takes a lot less time to prep.

Originally Posted by B4CZR2
But I thought I would give this a try since I haven't seen it done before
You have seen it at least once before

Ok, the crazy LS1 guy is done speaking for now, the whole ceramic vs. painted is a hot button issue for me since I got flamed for it in the external engine section last year i'll go back to lurking in the LT1 section now.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope I can get coated headers for 370
Old 08-14-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Creamic headers ???!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueB4C
Thats a matter of opinion not fact. I personally like the all-business look of black headers over the shiny show-car look of ceramic coating.
Incorrect.
High Temp coated headers will perform cooler and more efficiently, resulting in more power.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where can i find the cheapest Headers+y pipe?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by scorpion_z28
Where can i find the cheapest Headers+y pipe?
Watch the LT1 section and we might be getting some stainless headers soon for a good price. The painted vs ceramic is a hot button issue as someone already indicated but I think most will agree that stainless is a better option.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all ceramic is chrome. We have semi gloss black ceramic for those that want nice looking, cooler headers, but aren't into the bling.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Incorrect.
High Temp coated headers will perform cooler and more efficiently, resulting in more power.

I was referring to the quote that they look better, thats why I highlighted that part.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whistler
Not all ceramic is chrome. We have semi gloss black ceramic for those that want nice looking, cooler headers, but aren't into the bling.

Very cool, I was wondering if anyone did that, do you happen to have any pictures?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlueB4C
Very cool, I was wondering if anyone did that, do you happen to have any pictures?

x2, never seen that

btw, when he said they look better, i think he mean coated vs uncoated that have started to rust
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Watch the LT1 section and we might be getting some stainless headers soon for a good price. The painted vs ceramic is a hot button issue as someone already indicated but I think most will agree that stainless is a better option.
Are you sure were gona get stainless steel headers soon,if so its worth to wait.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by donkey mule
Ceramic is the way to go unless you can afford stainless. Less heat in the engine bay as well as longer life of the headers. IMO it is better to not buy headers if you cant afford ceramic or stainless.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Whistler
Do u have LT's for LT-1's or do you just do the coating?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Default budget Black P/s Lt's

I'm on a budget so i'm stuck with the painted black, but i'll prob. wrap them.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:12 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Good lord, it scratches them hoes anyways, stick with painted
Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

There's way too much BS in this thread. I've had non coated headers that lasted longer than a lot of the posters who say not to use them have had a drivers license. Coated headers didn't even start to become popular until the last five or ten years. What do you people think we did before that? Some people in here try to make it sound like non coated headers will rust away the first time you get caught in the rain..LOL.

If someone just has plenty of money to drop or is the kind of person who likes to polish their car up and go set around a parking lot with the hood up then by all means, don't waste money on non coated headers. Personally, I rank show cars right up there with dyno queens. For someone like me that's building a budget car for performance purposes and doesn't give a rats *** what the headers look like, coated headers would be a huge waste of money.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
There's way too much BS in this thread. I've had non coated headers that lasted longer than a lot of the posters who say not to use them have had a drivers license. Coated headers didn't even start to become popular until the last five or ten years. What do you people think we did before that? Some people in here try to make it sound like non coated headers will rust away the first time you get caught in the rain..LOL.

If someone just has plenty of money to drop or is the kind of person who likes to polish their car up and go set around a parking lot with the hood up then by all means, don't waste money on non coated headers. Personally, I rank show cars right up there with dyno queens. For someone like me that's building a budget car for performance purposes and doesn't give a rats *** what the headers look like, coated headers would be a huge waste of money.
How long has the LT's on your car been there??
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure were gona get stainless steel headers soon,if so its worth to wait.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=71

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=78
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

How long has the LT's on your car been there??

My current set has only been in use since last November, but I bought a second gen camaro in late 99 that the previous owner had owned for four years. I used it as daily transportation until 2004 and sold it to a friend in the summer of 2005. The car is still in use today with the same uncoated headers that came on the car when the guy before me bought it. I don't even know what brand those headers are. I also bought a set of Hedmans that were still in good shape when I sold the truck they were on after seven years. Make no mistake, they won't be pretty, but people who say they will rust away shortly are not likely speaking from experience. I do live in the South, so I don't have to deal with any road salt, those who do may have different results.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated Vs Black finished LT's