LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam suggestions?

Hello I was wondering if anyone has any idea's that might help me out. I recently purchased a 97 z28 camaro that has a Larry's Performance 383 stroker engine in it. I bought a set of heads that have mild port work on them and I was wondering what cam would be the best fit for my combination. I have a 700r4 trans with a 2800 stall converter. I also have a intake that is ported for a 58mm throttle body and gasket matched for the heads. Current modifications on the engine are 58mm throttle body, long tube headers, lingenfelter cold air kit, and 26lb injectors. Thank you for your help!! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of information is needed to help a cam designer to recommed a best cam. Main things are what's the rpm range, compression ratio, idle quality, head flow, cars intended use and smog requirment...
You could use bigger injectors so you're not held back.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Adding cubes is NOT how power is made, adding airflow is and that is what heads do. If on a limited budget money is MUCH better spent on porting the heads than on adding cubes, so you are off to a bad start.

A 97 should have a 4L60E, 2800 stall is a bit low but as long as it is a QUALITY converter like Edge, Yank or Vigilante it will be fine.

Gasket matching the intake is not a good thing, matching it too the heads is but to blindly open both too the gasket is not.

26lbs injectors sound like Accels, hope you got new ones because the old ones burned more than one guys car too the ground by leaking. Seeing as the stock injectors are 24lbs, only stepping up 2lbs was pointless and should not feed a stroker but if you are putting basically stock heads on it it just might be weak enough that they work
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Adding cubes is NOT how power is made, adding airflow is and that is what heads do.
that has to be the dumbest statement ive heard all day. yes airflow is what makes power, but so is cubic inches. and its true that if you stroke a motor and leave everything else stock (heads, intake, cam, manifolds) you are gonna make minimal difference. but generally speaking, more cubes equals more power as long as you can fill them. there is no replacement for displacement. "Adding cubes is NOT how power is made" is quite a bold statement i must say.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

also, he is looking for help on a cam and already has some head work so i dont know what else you want him to do
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

He said the portwork is mild.

Far as the cubes thing you are talking about adding head work and cubes and that will make more average power, BUT a lot of people think cubes alone do it.

I have run same day same track with other cars with a "bigger is better" mentality and let's just say I was not the one left making excuses.

Cubes do have benifits but not without the topend to support them and this is what a lot of guys get wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
that has to be the dumbest statement ive heard all day. yes airflow is what makes power, but so is cubic inches. and its true that if you stroke a motor and leave everything else stock (heads, intake, cam, manifolds) you are gonna make minimal difference. but generally speaking, more cubes equals more power as long as you can fill them. there is no replacement for displacement. "Adding cubes is NOT how power is made" is quite a bold statement i must say.
So how would more cubes = more power if there isn't anymore air going into the motor since the heads are restricting the motor? Also there are people with 350-355's making more power and running faster than 383's because they have a better setup and better topend on the engine. Bigger does not always = faster.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
So how would more cubes = more power if there isn't anymore air going into the motor since the heads are restricting the motor? Also there are people with 350-355's making more power and running faster than 383's because they have a better setup and better topend on the engine. Bigger does not always = faster.
did you not read everything? "and its true that if you stroke a motor and leave everything else stock (heads, intake, cam, manifolds) you are gonna make minimal difference" i pretty much just said that. but he is looking at a cam and has head work, so he is gonna be filling them at least somewhat. even if you can only fill the extra cubes 25% of the way (vulumetric effeciency of 25%, which would be horrible) and fills the first 350 with the same as stock, he is still gonna be making more power than the 350. or at least more low end torque. i realize that volume isnt everything, but it does make a difference, and u guys act like it makes none. i realize that you can have a faster motor with less cubes. thats not what im saying
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Teching In

The heads have full bowl work and gasket match to the intake that has also been ported.I bought the car with the 383 in it and it had stock heads and a very small cam. Im looking to install these heads and i want to go with a bigger but streetable cam. Im sure using this intake with better air flow and a better cam should help in power. With so many cams on the market i was looking for some sugestions on witch cams perform the best. Im new to the lt1s and there is a lot to learn. Thanks for your input

Quick Reply: Cam suggestions?